8 Assisted Living Facilities near Pelham, AL
Also serving communities of Helena.
There are 8 Assisted Living Facilities in the Pelham area, with 1 in Pelham and 7 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Pelham is $2,940 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,495. Cheaper nearby regions include Hoover with an average starting cost of $2,440.
To help you with your search, browse the 63 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Pelham. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Pelham 4.9 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Pelham, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Pelham, AL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Pelham
Surrounded by natural beauty and located just 15 miles south of Birmingham, the suburb of Pelham, Alabama, gives seniors a pleasant escape and convenient access to big city amenities. This small city is home to one assisted living facility, and there are 19 more in Birmingham, Hoover and other nearby areas. Assisted living agencies in Alabama are differentiated in terms of the extent of care and services provided, and they are classified into assisted living and specialty care assisted living facilities. These facilities are regulated by the state’s Department of Public Health, Bureau of Health Provider Standards.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Pelham
- The mild southern climate in Pelham gives seniors year-round comfort. It receives minimal snowfall during winter and has an average low of 32 degrees Fahrenheit in January. This allows seniors to enjoy golfing, camping, fishing and other forms of outdoor recreation in Oak Mountain State Park.
- Pelham’s overall cost of living is 3 percent higher than the U.S. average primarily due to expensive housing. Other expense categories are below the national averages, and the cost of assisted living is lower than in Hoover and Birmingham.
- Retirees in Pelham may enjoy significant tax savings as the state of Alabama exempts taxation on social security income, pensions and some forms of compensation and allowances.
- With an overall crime rate being 16 percent lower than the national and where the majority of crimes reported are under the non-violent theft category, Pelham is a relatively safe city for seniors. It's found to be safer than 51 percent of the cities in the country.
- Pelham is a car-dependent city, and there is no local public transportation system currently available. The local senior center has its own bus transportation for use on scheduled activities. For ADA individuals and residents 60+ traveling in Shelby, Jefferson and Walker Counties, ClasTran offers subsidized, shared curb-to-curb rides.
- The Pelham area is home to world-class medical facilities including Encompass Health Rehabilitation Hospital of Shelby County and the Pelham and Oak Mountain branches of Brookwood Baptist Health Primary Care in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Pelham
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Alabama
Assisted Living costs in Pelham start around $2,940 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Pelham and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Pelham
The Home and Community-Based Services waiver programs of the state of Alabama currently does not include financial coverage on assisted living facilities in Pelham and the rest of the Yellowhammer state.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Pelham
Pelham and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Pelham, please visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Pelham
Pelham-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Alabama are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Pelham
Review of Gardens of Pelham
You could not find a more helpful staff. I was apprehensive about moving here. But they have made it so easy. The meals are good. Especially the breakfast. It starts my day on a good note! I enjoy ... Read more
Review of Gardens of Pelham
After having the oversight and care for my 93-year-old mother for eight years, her health needs became greater than what I alone could manage. My brother and his dear wife researched tirelessly fac... Read more
Review of Gardens of Pelham
My Mom has been at The Gardens of Pelham for almost 3 years now and it has been wonderful for us. The staff is amazing and the communication with us is exceptional. Mom loves it and is thriving. It... Read more