Baton Rouge is situated in southeast Louisiana about 80 miles northwest of New Orleans. Officials estimate that 64,248 seniors currently live in the state’s capital, making up 14.6% of its 440,059 total residents. The city’s older adults have numerous options for health care, including Louisiana’s thirst-best hospital, Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, which has been recognized for its superior performance in hip and knee surgeries. Although Baton Rouge’s overall health care spending is similar to the nation’s, its seniors are paying nearly 28% less than most seniors nationwide, with the average senior in Baton Rouge paying around $5,597 a month.

Excluding hospitals, nursing homes offer the highest level of care, with services such as on-site speech and physical therapy, wound care, vital signs monitoring and assistance with bathing, eating, dressing and other daily living activities. Because residents’ medical conditions require constant attention, registered nurses and physicians provide 24-hour supervision. Seniors who don’t require continuous emergency medical care may find that assisted living or home care better suits their needs.

This guide provides a high-level overview of the cost of long-term care in Baton Rouge as well as a few resources that can help low-income seniors pay for care services provided in and outside of their homes.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Baton Rouge, LA

2013

St James Place

333 Lee Drive, Baton Rouge, LA, 70808

St James Place, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, sits amid beautiful grounds with oak trees, a lake and lots of trails to explore. This facility offers a full continuum of services ranging from independent … (read more)

Baton Rouge General

3600 Florida Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA, 70806

Baton Rouge was a hospital, but I was there for therapy after surgery. I had a real good experience the first time and then I went back the second time. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. I … (read more)

Landmark South Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

18180 Jefferson Hwy, Baton Rouge, LA, 70817

The staff at Landmark South Nursing & Rehabilitation Center have all been very friendly and very helpful. It seems to be a beautiful facility. They restrict visitations, limit number of visitors, … (read more)

White Oak Post Acute Care (Nottingham)

2828 Westfork Dr, Baton Rouge, LA, 70816

Nottingham Rehab’s staff (Sherwood Manor Nursing & Rehabilitation Center) is attentive, but I feel like they have a bunch of people in the facility, so sometimes they aren’t as efficient as they c … (read more)

Sterling Place

3888 NORTH BLVD., Baton Rouge, LA, 70806

My husband is in Sterling Place, a nursing home in Baton Rouge. He’s under hospice. He’s been there for several weeks, and I haven’t had any problems with them. The staff has all been very nice to me, … (read more)

Lakewood Quarters Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

8225 Summa Ave, Baton Rouge, LA, 70809

Overall, I really like the place. You have a few that are rude that work there but that’s usually at any place you go to now. But the majority seems to really care and take care of things right away. … (read more)

Sage Rehabilitation Hospital SNF

8000 Summa Ave, Baton Rouge, LA, 70809

My Mom was at this facility for only two days and fell three time. After the second fall I wanted the facility to send her to the emergency room. The doctors and staff reassured me that she was okay. … (read more)

The Woodleigh of Baton Rouge

14333 Old Hammond Highway, Baton Rouge, LA, 70816

When my mother was in the hospital the staff their told us that she will likely need nursing home placement. I was really skeptical and nervous about that but they provided a list of nursing homes in … (read more)

Guest House (THE)

10145 FLORIDA BLVD., Baton Rouge, LA, 70815

My mother is settled and comfortable at The Guest House. She’s been there for four years. They have games, church services, and movie nights. They have several common areas. They have a rehab exercise … (read more)

Old Jefferson Community Care Center

8340 Baringer Foreman Road., Baton Rouge, LA, 70817

I am very serious when I say DO NOT ADMIT ANYONE YOU LOVE, CARE FOR, and WANT TO SEE ALIVE to this facility. This is not a statement of my feelings nor my personal judgement. It is rather documented … (read more)

Colonial Care Retirement Center

14686 Old Hammond Hwy, Baton Rouge, LA, 70816

The Colonial (Colonial Assisted Living) is not very new, which is not a problem, but it is plain, and it needs some updating on the outside. The rooms are all private. They have a number of activities … (read more)

St Clare Manor

7435 BISHOP OTT DRIVE, Baton Rouge, LA, 70806

My mother was a resident for several years. I visited her no less than 5 times a week. As her dementia became worse, I began to notice that her care became worse. She had an unexplained fracture to he … (read more)

Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge

9301 OXFORD PLACE DRIVE, Baton Rouge, LA, 70809

My mother is in Heritage Manor of Baton Rouge. My family and I have been very satisfied. The staff is attentive to my mother. I think she gets good care. She seems very content and very happy there. W … (read more)

Baton Rouge Heritage House

1335 Wooddale Blvd, Baton Rouge, LA, 70806

Heritage House is close to where my aunt lives and to where I live. It seemed pretty good, so far. They maybe a little helpful, but they do have a handful of patients right now. They do activities wit … (read more)

Flannery Oaks Guest House

1642 N. FLANNERY ROAD, Baton Rouge, LA, 70815

At first, the visits were always pleasant. Well, as pleasant as can be when you have to leave a loved one in the hands of others. The staff was kind and attentive and always seemed to be caring to my … (read more)

Jefferson Manor Nursing and Re

9919 JEFFERSON HWY., Baton Rouge, LA, 70809

I would want anyone to know the subpar care my husband has received and he has complained of the food to me. The facility has cigarette butts on the cover area at the main entrance where we have our … (read more)

The Care Center

11188 FLORIDA BLVD, Baton Rouge, LA, 70815

The Care Center of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, is conveniently located at the eastern edge of the city in the suburb of West Sherwood Forest along Interstate 190. It is less than a five-minute drive away … (read more)

Landmark of Baton Rouge

9105 OXFORD PLACE DRIVE, Baton Rouge, LA, 70809

This is a terrible place. Don’t put your family member there. I have so many complaints, I don’t know where to begin. Here is a partial list: 1. found wet in diaper on most occasions 2. no water at … (read more)

Baton Rouge Health Care Center

5550 THOMAS ROAD, Baton Rouge, LA, 70811

Capitol House Nursing and Rehab Center

11546 FLORIDA BLVD, Baton Rouge, LA, 70815

Nursing Home Costs in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Seniors in Baton Rouge pay $5,597 for a semiprivate room in a nursing home and $5,840 for a private room, on average.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

At $5,597 per month, Baton Rouge seniors spend only $61 more per month on nursing home care than the average senior across Louisiana. Hammond’s median monthly cost of nursing home care is $578 less than Baton Rouge’s, making it the cheapest nearby, while Houma, with its $6,068 monthly cost of care, is the most expensive. The largest difference in price is between Baton Rouge and the nation, with most seniors around the country paying $2,159 more per month than seniors in Baton Rouge.

$5597

Houma

$5931

New Orleans

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

After nursing homes, assisted living is the most expensive type of long-term care in Baton Rouge. On average, it costs $3,618 a month, a $1,979 savings over a semiprivate room in a nursing home. For a private room in a nursing home, the price gap widens to $2,222 a month. Seniors in adult day health care pay almost 75% less than they would in a nursing home semiprivate room and over 58% less than the $3,432 average monthly cost of home care and home health care.

$3432

Adult day health care

$3618

Assisted living

$5597

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$5840

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Free Resources for Seniors in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

In the list below, we’ve briefly outlined several programs and organizations that can help seniors receive health care services in their homes or pay for the care they receive at a nursing facility.

ResourceContactService
Office of Social Services(225) 925-6505At the Office of Social Services, state-certified workers provide free consultations and assistance with enrolling in Medicaid and other government programs designed to assist low-income residents. Seniors can receive help navigating the available state-funded long-term care programs and learn about the medical and financial eligibility guidelines to have their nursing home care costs paid for by Medicaid.
Community Choices Waiver(877) 456-1146Administered by the Office of Aging and Adult Services, the CCW offers nursing home-eligible seniors a range of in-home care services, including skilled nursing, home modifications for improved accessibility, home-delivered meals and assistance with activities of daily living. In addition to the program’s medical requirements, seniors must be eligible for Medicaid.
Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly(225) 490-0604PACE is a nonprofit program designed to help seniors avoid placement in a nursing facility by receiving the necessary care and support at home and in the community. To qualify, applicants must be at least 55 years of age and eligible for Medicaid. The program covers all specialty and primary physician services as well as prescription medications, medical equipment, in-home personal care and rehabilitation.
Long-Term Personal Care Services Program(225) 342-9500Through the Long-Term Personal Care Services Program, Medicaid recipients over the age of 65 can receive assistance with grocery shopping, meal preparation, light housework and personal care activities such as grooming and toileting.  The program also provides seniors with someone to accompany them when they travel to doctors’ appointments. Interested seniors should contact the Office of Aging and Adult Services.
Capital Area Agency on Aging(225) 922-2525The Capital Area AAA lets seniors access a range of helpful services and programs, such as drug discounts through the SenioRX program and free respite care for family caregivers. With help from CAAA’s Long-Term Care Ombudsman, seniors in nursing facilities can work to rectify care quality concerns, financial disputes and other pertinent matters.