4 Assisted Living Facilities near Hammond, LA
With an average cost of $2,636 in Hammond, it’s often difficult to find assisted living communities that provide high-quality care at an affordable price. At Caring.com, our mission is to make this process as smooth and painless as possible, and we’ve helped many families along the way.
This guide provides everything you need to quickly compare communities and narrow your search, including 19 unique reviews from residents and our comprehensive database that gives pricing, amenity information, photos and more on the 3 facilities in Hammond.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Hammond, LA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Hammond
Hammond, with a population of more than 20,000, is the largest city in Tangipahoa Parish, Louisiana. The city is best known as the home of the Hammond Oak, a 200-plus-year-old tree that marks the graves of the town founder, Peter Hammond and his wife.
There are two assisted living facilities in Hammond for seniors who may want assistance with personal care, daily tasks, medication administration, and recreational activities and who desire to live in a community setting. The Louisiana Department of Health watches over assisted living facilities (ALFs) in the State of Louisiana, ensuring seniors are safe, respected, and getting their needs met.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Hammond
- The Hammond, Louisiana area is home to world-class medical facilities including North Oaks Health System General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Living in Hammond costs slightly less than the national average. Area seniors will save on utilities and groceries in particular. Overall, the cost of living index is 9 percent lower in Hammond.
- Hammond has what is categorized as a sub-tropical climate, with hot, steamy summers and mild winters. Most seniors will enjoy the average January high temperature of 61 degrees Fahrenheit and the average July high temperature of 92 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Hammond is one of the most crime-ridden cities in the United States, with an overall crime rate that is 314 percent higher than the national average. Seniors and other Hammond residents have a one-in-nine chance of being a crime victim in any given year.
- The Hammond City bus system offers fixed, scheduled bus service throughout the city Monday through Friday. In addition, the Hammond Council on Aging offers on-demand non-emergency transportation for seniors (age 60 and older), with advance reservations.
- Cultural opportunities abound in Hammond, Louisiana. Just a few of these include Kliebert's Turtle and Alligator Farm, Kentwood Historical Art and Cultural Museum and Camp Moore Confederate Cemetery and Museum. Enjoying the many area attractions doesn't have to be expensive; many events and attractions offer a discounted rate to seniors.
Paying for Assisted Living in Hammond
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Louisiana
Assisted Living costs in Hammond start around $2,005 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Hammond and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Hammond
Hammond, Louisiana seniors who meet the eligibility requirements can find a number of state and federal assistance programs to help with the cost of an ALF, including the Community Choices Waiver (CCW) and Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Hammond
Hammond and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Hammond, please visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Hammond
Hammond-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Louisiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Hammond, LA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Hammond
Review of Summerfield of Hammond
Summerfield of Hammond is my second choice. It came highly recommended. It was at our price point as well. The staff was very nice and very helpful. The rooms need to be updated. The cabinetry did ... Read more
Review of The Phoenix at Hammond
I chose The Phoenix at Hammond for my dad. Great customer service. He just moved this month. It's a five-star place. The staff communicates very well. He gets three meals a day, and it's everything... Read more
Review of Summerfield of Hammond
My mother-in-law is currently in Summerfield of Hammond. She's only been there for only a week. So far, we're very pleased. It's a very pleasant place, my husband's been mostly dealing with them, b... Read more