27 Assisted Living Facilities near Metairie, LA
Also serving communities of Jefferson.
There are 27 Assisted Living Facilities in the Metairie area, with 13 in Metairie and 14 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Metairie is $4,072 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,450. Cheaper nearby regions include Kenner with an average starting cost of $3,222.
To help you with your search, browse the 123 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Metairie. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Metairie 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Kenner with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 6 families in Metairie find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Metairie, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Metairie, LA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Metairie
Metairie, Louisiana is located a short 8 miles from New Orleans. Seniors who choose to live in one of the 12 assisted living communities in the city or one of the 14 in neighboring cities can enjoy the quiet life that comes with rural living, but can also enjoy the bustling fun of the big tourist city nearby.
The Louisiana Department of Health regulates the assisted living communities in the state, including those in Metairie. It divides these into four levels of care, each of which has its own requirements. Seniors should find a community that can meet their needs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Metairie
- Metairie has an average of 220 sunny days per year, which is more than the country’s average. This gives seniors a chance to get out more an enjoy the outdoors. Summers are hot with July highs averaging around 91 degrees Fahrenheit, but the winters are mild. The lows in January average around 44 degrees Fahrenheit. The area is impacted by hurricanes sometimes, but a warning is usually available when an evacuation is necessary.
- Seniors who have respiratory conditions might not find Metairie a suitable location since the air quality is a bit lower than the national average. The city’s air quality score is 48, but the national average is 58. The higher the score, the better the air quality.
- The cost of living in this city is a tad higher than the national average. The nation as a whole comes in at 100 for this index. Metairie’s index is 104.3. Seniors shouldn’t let this scare them away, though, because housing is the largest factor in the cost of living index. The cost of health needs here is actually lower than the nation's average with an index of only 95.
- Crime is a bit more common in Metairie than in the country as a whole. The violent crime rate for the city is 43.9, which is higher than the national average of 31.1. The property crime rate is 45.3, which his higher than the national average of 38.1.
- The Jefferson Council on Aging maintains the Metairie Senior Center, a one-stop shop for arts and culture in the city. The center offers seniors a chance to exercise and go on field trips. Art classes, sports events, health activities and screenings, quilting, porcelain making, dance classes and computer classes are a sampling of what you can find here.
- The Metairie area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children and East Jefferson General Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Metairie
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Louisiana
Assisted Living costs in Metairie start around $4,072 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Metairie and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Metairie
Louisiana offers several Medicaid Waivers and other programs, including the Program for All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly, the Community Choices Waiver, and Long-Term Personal Care Services, that might be useful for senior citizens.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Metairie
Metairie and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Metairie, please visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Metairie
Metairie-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Louisiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Metairie, LA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Metairie
Review of Colonial Oaks Living Center
This facility should be shut down immediately. My mother was sent here by the social worker at east Jefferson hospital after a fall and hip surgery. I was not even given the opportunity to visit or... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Metairie
We saw the assisted living of Sunrise of Metairie. It was a good visit, and I'm working with my brother now, trying to make a decision. It was near a highschool, but the facility seemed very nice a... Read more
Review of Sunrise of Metairie
Sunrise of Metairie was fine, but it was a little bit more expensive than others. The room was good and we would've taken it, but they didn't have any available at the time. They were all very prof... Read more