13 Assisted Living Facilities in Saint Tammany Parish, LA
The average cost of assisted living in Saint Tammany Parish is $3,279 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Orleans Parish with an average starting cost of $2,550.
To help you with your search, browse the 122 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Saint Tammany Parish. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Saint Tammany Parish 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Tangipahoa Parish with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 18 families in Saint Tammany Parish find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Saint Tammany Parish, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Saint Tammany Parish
Saint Tammany Parish is located on the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain, providing convenient access to natural beauty and a vibrant local culture that active seniors can enjoy. About 16 percent of the over 256,000 residents of the parish are age 65 and older, and there are 13 assisted living facilities in the area to accommodate that population.
In Saint Tammany Parish, as throughout the state, assisted living communities are regulated by the Louisiana Department of Health. They are called Adult Residential Care Providers (ARCPs) and are classified into four categories based on the level of care residents require and the type of accommodations provided by the facility.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Saint Tammany Parish
- The weather in Saint Tammany Parish is semi-tropical, with warm, humid summers and mild winters. Occasional hurricanes and large thunderstorms strike the area, so families considering assisted living communities should ask about how the facilities handle weather emergencies and potential evacuation plans.
- Air quality in Saint Tammany Parish may be an issue for seniors with respiratory difficulties. The parish has a D grade from the American Lung Association for ozone levels, although these levels have dropped significantly over the past few years.
- Saint Tammany Parish is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Tammany Parish Hospital and Lakeview Regional Medical Center in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The cost of living in Saint Tammany Parish is about 4.6 percent higher than the national average. Healthcare costs are about 5 percent lower than the national average, though, which may help offset other costs for seniors on a budget.
- Saint Tammany Parish has an array of community resources for seniors, including COAST, the Council of Aging St. Tammany, an organization that provides classes, recreational activities, legal assistance, tax assistance and transportation services for seniors as well as seven senior centers in various towns and cities throughout the parish.
- Saint Tammany Parish operates the STAR transit system, a network of vehicles that provide curb-to-curb service in urban and rural areas of the parish. Residents over age 60 ride for free on the STAR transit system.
Paying for Assisted Living in Saint Tammany Parish
Average Monthly Costs
Counties in Louisiana
Assisted Living costs in Saint Tammany Parish start around $3,279 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Saint Tammany Parish and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Saint Tammany Parish
Seniors living in a residential care facility in Saint Tammany Parish may be eligible for financial assistance through Louisiana's Medicaid program.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Saint Tammany Parish
Saint Tammany Parish and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Saint Tammany Parish, please visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Saint Tammany Parish
Saint Tammany Parish-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Louisiana are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Louisiana page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Saint Tammany Parish, LA
Assisted Living near Saint Tammany Parish, LA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Saint Tammany Parish
Review of Avanti Senior Living at Covington
Avanti was way too expensive, but the staff members were very good. It is five minutes from my house. If the budget allowed it, my mother-in-law would have gone there. I go to networking events for... Read more
Review of Azalea Estates of Slidell
My grandmother moved into Azalea Estates of Slidell. She has nothing but good things to say. She said they're very caring, and she enjoys it. It looks like a pretty good community. It's one of the ... Read more
Review of OakPark Village at Slidell
My grandmother stayed at OakPark Village at Slidell, but she did not care for it. She was never happy, and she was ready to move out of there. The staff could have been friendlier. She did not care... Read more