Oak Park Village at Slidell

Reviews of Oak Park Village at Slidell

Assisted Living Reviews for Oak Park Village at Slidell

February 02, 2012

By IvyFisher

June 2012 makes 6 years that I have resided at Live Oak Village of Slidell. I am 93 years young. It was my decision to live here. I had the opportunity to live with my daughter, but I prefer my independence. Live Oaks allows me to have my own independence. My family is happy I am here. They know I am being taken care of. The chef is very conscientious of the specialized diet I require. My room is always kept clean and I appreciate the fact that my laundry is washed for me. I am happy to be here and happy with everyone here; particularly the staff. The staff appears to always be happy and in a good mood each day. I enjoy all the activities and participate in as many as I am able. Though I am mostly independent, if an occasion arises where I need assistance, I simply push my call button and a care manager comes right away to assist me. I love my life here.

January 31, 2012

By cindykaupp

My dad, G. DeMen lived in the facility for four years until his death in October 2011. When we researched this area for places for Dad to live, he was with me and he chose Live Oak Village. The week of his death, he asked me to let everyone know how much he appreciated the excellent care, the love, the concern and the respect he was always shown. As his daughter, I appreciate everything they did during his final days but most appreciate how much he enjoyed the last four years of his life. He went on every outing, he attended every gathering and function and there were so many of them all the time. He laughed, he played, he enjoyed all that Live Oak offered him. In his words, my dad said, "Living here is a blessing and I thank God for this blessing". It was a blessing for me to see my dad this content, this happy in his final years. Thank you Live Oak!!!!

Questions about Oak Park Village at Slidell

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Our community is contracted with Relias Learning in order to keep our staff educated and trained in regard to dementia care.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Oak Park Village at Slidell. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

Our Residents are encouraged to be as independent as they want to be for as long as they can be. As Residents need more assistance we are able to layer on the specific care they require.

What programs or activities does Oak Park Village at Slidell offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We have a very active community. Some of the activities that we offer daily stretching/walking club, bingo, live music/entertainment, scenic drives, gardening club, monthly BBQs and multiple religious services each week. We also like to visit local stores, restaurants, and casinos!

What places are near Oak Park Village at Slidell or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We are set off of Gause Boulevard in Slidell, LA, less than a mile from Ochsner Medical Center - Northshore. We share a drive with Gause Boulevard Veterinary Hospital and are within walking distance from St. Luke's Church.

What transportation services does Oak Park Village at Slidell offer to assisted living residents?

We have a handicapped-accessible community bus and offer transportation to local shopping, medical appointments, regularly scheduled outings and excursions.

What makes the chef or dining program at Oak Park Village at Slidell exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

We have restaurant-style dining that includes three different meals each day. If the daily specials don't interest our residents/guests that day, we have an all-day menu that they can choose from cooked however they wish!

What safety features or security measures does Oak Park Village at Slidell offer to assisted living residents?

We provide emergency pendants to our Assisted Living Residents which can be detected from anywhere within the building. Once pressed, our staff all get an alert, along with our concierge. We also offer pull cords in the bathrooms/bedrooms that our residents/guests can pull and the same alert is given to our staff. Each and every entrance is also secured with a key code, otherwise, someone has to physically let you into the community. Our Memory Care is secured with two entry/exits that require a code to be let in or out.

How does Oak Park Village at Slidell keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We are a smaller community and we like to have a family atmosphere. We try to involve the families of our residents in everything that we do. Our staff is able to provide regular communication with families via phone conversations or in-person meetings at their request. We also mail out our Activities Calendars to our families each month and we are constantly posting to our Facebook Pages of what's going on or what's to come!

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Oak Park Village at Slidell during daytime and nighttime hours?

Our care staff-to-resident ratio is based on our census and acuity.

If Oak Park Village at Slidell accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are a Pet-Friendly community with interior courtyard gardens which are safe for our residents to walk their pets.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our community is contracted with Relias Learning in order to keep our staff educated and trained in regard to senior care.

What safety features or security measures does Oak Park Village at Slidell provide to protect residents who wander?

Our Memory Care neighborhood is secured with a code and keypad. There is a security code that is changed periodically for the safety of our residents in Memory Care.

What programs or activities does Oak Park Village at Slidell offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We have a full-time Activities Director dedicated to the Memory Care Residents. They use many different techniques to bring out long term memories for activity engagement. We also have IN2L in our community which has been amazing for our Memory Care residents.

Our Health and Wellness Director regularly assesses our residents and communicates with the families as to any changes or needs.

What techniques does Oak Park Village at Slidell use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Our residents are offered a healthy menu as well as other meal options. Staff is engaged with residents during all meal times to promote healthy and safe eating. Whether they need their food cut up, pureed, or just plated, we are there for each one of their individual needs.

How does Oak Park Village at Slidell keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Our Health and Wellness Director is in constant contact with our residents' families and we are always available for updates, questions, or concerns.

Describe the neighborhood around Oak Park Village at Slidell. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are in the heart of Slidell, close to churches, schools, residential neighborhoods and medical professionals.

Costs for Oak Park Village at Slidell

Photos of Oak Park Village at Slidell

Services and Amenities of Oak Park Village at Slidell

• Companion Suites: We Do Offer Companion Suites

• Pets: Small Pets Allowed.

• State Licenses: 2203782189

About Oak Park Village at Slidell

Oak Park Village at Slidell is an assisted living and memory care community conveniently located in the heart of Slidell, LA. You will discover a peace of mind when you experience our amenities and services dedicated to supporting independence and overall well-being.

Oak Park Village is nestled in a picturesque setting with giant oak trees beautifully manicured landscaping. Our enclosed courtyards are the perfect place to sit and relax with a book from our library.

As you enter Oak Park Village, you’ll experience a warm welcome from our lobby receptionist. Our large town square is a great place for socializing and meeting up with friends and family. This area also has a small cafe for grabbing water or coffee when you are on the go!

Life Enrichment Programming

The Oak Park Village Life Enrichment program boasts many activities and local outings that give our residents a purpose every day. We incorporate daily spiritual, social, physical, and intellectual activities. Our activities director spends time getting to know residents. She meets with new residents to find out what their interests are and what they enjoy doing most. Monthly events may vary based on residents’ interests and participation.

In addition to regularly scheduled activities such as church services and Bible study, trips to local shopping and events, we offer educational talks and presentations. Presentations include discussions on health and nutrition, veterans’ Aid & Attendance, and more.

Programming at Oak Park Village inspires residents to lead fulfilling and active lives.

Dining Program

Join us for three meals a day, plus snacks! The dining experience is a great way to meet with friends and enjoy our friendly staff. Each meal is made from scratch and served in our dining room. We have restaurant-style service with a daily “chef’s choice” for meals, or residents may order off the alternative menu. Meals change every day, and we are very accommodating to residents’ tastes, preferences, and food allergies.

Assisted Living

At Oak Park Village at Slidell, our focus is supporting our residents’ independence and overall wellness.

The care that each resident receives at Oak Park Village is unique to his or her needs. Each resident’s activities of daily living (ADLs), such as dressing, bathing, and hygiene, are assessed upon move-in and regularly throughout their stay. We work with the resident, family members, and health practitioners to create the right plan of care for each person.

Care-related services include, but are not limited to:

• Care staff, including a licensed nurse, at facility 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • Personal care assistance with activities of daily living
  • Third-Party Medication assistance and administration
  • Mobility assistance
  • -Continence maintenance
  • Visits from outside physician
  • On-site visits from the dentist, podiatrist, home health, and more
  • Learn more about the benefits of assisted living.

Memory Care Neighborhood

Along the Journey is Priority Life Care’s memory care programming. The Along the Journey program was created for our seniors with memory impairments. It’s a way to develop strong relationships between families and caregivers. A successful transition involves supporting the resident in their new environment and being a resource for the family.

Goals of Along the Journey:

• Create a safe and comfortable environment for residents
  • Provide consistent, well-trained caregivers specific to dementia care
  • Provide care based on residents’ abilities and needs, with respect to the individual’s culture and preferences
  • Achieve the highest quality of life possible for residents through cueing and assistance
  • Be a resource and provide support to families, staff, and other residents
  • At Oak Park Village at Slidell, we use activities to help reduce agitation, improve mood, and encourage social interaction. Popular activities include morning coffee (hydration) and news, listening to music, spiritual programs, ice cream socials, reminiscing, trivia, and puzzles. One-on-one sensory activities may also be used to help residents relax and have a good night’s rest.

Our current residents are very welcoming to new residents, and our community is a very loving place. We offer beautiful interior gardens and are pet friendly.

Map of Oak Park Village at Slidell