Elizabethtown has over 31,300 residents, and about 13.7% are seniors aged 65 and older. The region has a humid subtropical climate that brings plenty of rainfall throughout the year as well as some snowfall in the winter and early spring months. The Baptist Health Hardin is high-performing in three conditions and procedures, including cardiology and nephrology, according to the U.S. News and World Report

When considering their personal care options seniors should keep in mind that the cost of care depends on the level of care they need and the setting. According to the Genworth 2020 Cost of Care Survey, a semiprivate room in a nursing home costs $7,604 per month and a private room costs $8,258 per month. In-home care is typically more affordable than nursing home care and home health care services can cover personal care and medical needs. Assisted living is another option, but it’s more suited for seniors who are independent but need some assistance with activities of daily life.

This guide discusses the costs of care in Elizabethtown and other surveyed cities in the state. At the end of the guide, readers can find a few resources that can help assess their long-term care options.

Directory of Nursing Homes in Elizabethtown, KY

Helmwood Healthcare Center

106 Diecks Drive, Elizabethtown, KY, 42701

My brother was at Helmwood Healthcare for rehabilitation. He had some physical disabilities that had to be dealt with that we couldn’t do at home, so he was there for three months. Helmwood is very ni … (read more)

Signature HealthCARE of Elizabethtown

1117 Woodland Drive, Elizabethtown, KY, 42701

My mom is at Signature HealthCARE of Elizabethtown, and it’s been good so far. It needs updating, but they are opening a new facility in November. Her room was fine. I like that they seem to be pretty … (read more)

Essex Nursing & Rehabilitation Center

9600 Lambourne Boulevard, Louisville, KY, 40272

I went through Essex Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. It’s a lot smaller, it’s not as nice looking, but I have a friend that works there, and she enjoys it because of the way they treat their peop … (read more)

Loretto Motherhouse Infirmary

515 NERINX ROAD, Nerinx, KY, 40049

I took a tour of the Loretto Motherhouse Infirmary when I was in high school. The first thing that stood out to me was the happiness of the residents. They seemed, for the most part, happy about being … (read more)

Windsor Gardens of Bardstown

101 Isaac Greer Court, Bardstown, KY, 40004

The staff is very helpful at Windsor Gardens. The dining area is very lovely, and the food is OK. My parents have a very roomy two-bedroom apartment. They have bingo, crafts, and people that come and … (read more)

Landmark of Bardstown

120 LIFE CARE WAY, Bardstown, KY, 40004

My dad was at Landmark of Bardstown for 20 days. All the staff from when you enter the front door to the ladies who bring in the meals, were very kind and compassionate. His therapy was wonderful. The … (read more)

Colonial Health and Rehabilitation Center

708 BARTLEY AVENUE, Bardstown, KY, 40004

Our experience so far at Colonial has been satisfying.The staff is always willing to help and the nurses and aids are amazing they are always trying to make our mom feel welcomed and like family. I ha … (read more)

Grayson Manor Nursing Home

505 William Thomason Byu, Leitchfield, KY, 42754

My experience with this assisted living provider was when i went to visit family, I thought the staff was fairly nice, treated the elderly nicely, and welcomed me. it was sad to see older people havin … (read more)

Park Terrace Health Campus

9700 Stonestreet Road, Louisville, KY, 40272

The rooms are dirty and smell, the wall has feces on it, the carpets were stained and gross My in law was left in a chair in their own feces and urine for 6 hours until I came in and complained. They … (read more)

Sunrise Manor

717 N Lincoln Blvd, Hodgenville, KY, 42748

No complaints. I come to sunrise to recover from covid and to get stronger. I would definitely recommend this facility. The staff treated me so good. I would choose to come back to Sunrise if I ever … (read more)

North Hardin Health & Rehabilitation Center

599 ROGERSVILLE RD., Radcliff, KY, 40160

My time at Signature North Hardin was outstanding. The care from the first minute I rolled into the facility until I left was 110% positive in every way possible. The staff was amazing 👏 in every … (read more)

Spring View Health & Rehab Center

718 GOODWIN LANE, Leitchfield, KY, 42754

Spring View Nursing & Rehabilitation is in terrible, terrible conditions. They’re short-handed, and one time they didn’t give my father his meds all day, and made excuses of why he wasn’t getting … (read more)

Flaget Memorial Hospital Nf

310 Boxwood Run, Mount Washington, KY, 40047

Radcliff Veterans Center

100 Veterans Drive, Radcliff, KY, 40160

Nursing Home Costs in Elizabethtown, KY

The cost of a semiprivate room in a nursing home is $7,604, and a private room costs $8,258 in Elizabethtown.

The Cost of Nursing Home Care in Nearby Cities

The cost of a semiprivate room in Elizabethtown is $426 higher than the state average of $7,178 and $152 lower than the national average of $7,756.

When comparing the cost of nursing home care in Elizabethtown to other cities, Bowling Green is the most expensive. With a difference of $669, Bowling Green has an average of $8,273. Owensboro has an average of $7,787 and $183 more than Elizabethtown. Located further north, Lexington and Louisville are $426 and $456 less than Elizabethtown, with averages of $7,178 and $7,148, respectively.

$7604

Lexington

$7148

Louisville

The Cost of Other Types of Senior Care

Seniors considering community-based personal care can also consider in-home care or adult day health care services, which can be much more affordable than nursing home care. In Elizabethtown, both homemaking and home health aide services are $3,432, which saves seniors $4,172 per month. Adult day health services are the cheapest option at $1,560 per month. Assisted living costs $3,550 per month, which is $4,054 less than nursing home care. Additionally, a private room costs $654 more than a private room.

$3432

Adult day health care

$3550

Assisted living

$7604

Nursing home (semiprivate room)

$8258

Nursing home (private room)

Financial Assistance for Nursing Home Care in Elizabethtown, KY

Free Resources for Seniors in Elizabethtown, KY

The following section includes free resources that can help seniors assess their long-term care options. Local agencies can provide home health care services or eligible seniors can apply for the Home and Community-Based Care (HCB) Medicaid waiver to cover the cost of nursing home care. Residents of long-term care facilities can also reach out to speak with an ombudsman or inquire about other services.

Resource

Contact

Service

Serving seniors aged 60 and older, the Lincoln Trail Agency on Aging can help residents of Hardin County with accessing home- and community-based personal care services, as well as other programs that can improve quality of life while aging-in-place at home. The agency can provide information and referrals for seniors whether they reside in a nursing home or receive in-home care, such as the long-term care ombudsman and family caregiver support programs.

(800) 264- 0393

Providing counseling services in-person and over the phone, Kentucky SHIP educates Medicare beneficiaries about their long-term care options. Certified by the state, counselors can explain how each of Medicare’s Parts can benefit them and compare insurance policies. Through one-on-one counseling sessions, seniors and their loved ones can report suspicious Medicare transactions and learn how to prevent fraud. Additionally, qualifying beneficiaries can inquire about financial assistance to help cover out-of-pocket expenses. To find a local counselor, call the SHIP hotline or contact the Lincoln Trail Area Agency on Aging.

Administered by the Department for Community Based Services (DCBS), the HCB Medicaid waiver can be used for a wide variety of services and is available to Medicaid members aged 65 and older. The waiver can cover minor home safety modifications and adult day health care, as well as non-specialized and specialized respite care. To apply for the waiver, seniors can call the phone number provided.