The Highlands at Brighton

Reviews of The Highlands at Brighton

Nursing Home Reviews for The Highlands at Brighton

December 18, 2018

By PO'd Daughter

My father letft the hospital in seemingly great shape, but needed 4-5 days of rehab. He quickly went down hill. Food was awful, and we brought him meals. They did not give him nebulizer treatments 4Xs/day. They did not keep feet elevevated as indicated by the doctor. His emergency call button did not work for 2 days. He was left sitting in his waste. He developed sores. I brought him to a doctor, and his portable oxygen tank did not work (or was empty). We ended up having him readmitted to the hospital. I had read the ratings before he went, and I did not want him to go here, but all other placeses were filled. While the staff seems nice, obviously there are serious problems that have not been addressed, judging by the other comments, and judging by my father's care. Also, he was never helped out of his room, and he felt like a prisoner. While there would be musical performances from time to time, no one ever seemed to tell the patients in his wing. As family members we were never shown around the facility, or told who to go to with problems.

February 28, 2018

By windchaser

Both my mother and my husband was at the Highlands of Brighton. This nursing home is terrible,they somehow manage to loose patients clothes. When my mom was there they had to reimburse me 250.00 , and all of her items were labeled. Now my husband was in there waiting to be placed In a perement nursing home and guess what they lost alot of his clothing and they were all label. The place where patients room are remind me of a prison. Do I recommend this place NO

May 25, 2017

By prob-lem

i am a 67 yo ex rehab patient at this facility for 3 days. The rehab staff were excellent The aide staff were horrible. I was scolded for the bedpan spilling onto the sheet. I. was told I should wear a diaper my picc line dressing was not changed until 2 days after it was due to be changed. . fortunately I developed a complication and went back to the hospital. I am now at another facility and receiving excell entry , compassionate care. would never recommend Highlands at Brighton

December 08, 2016

By David3870

My 92 year old mother was admitted to this facility for rehab after having a heart valve replacement with the goal of returning to her home where she lived independently with some outside support. First let me say that the people doing the actual physical rehab , which was only about 5% of her time there, were very good and seemed caring. The remainder of her time was spent in her room. We had hoped that the staff would give a 92 year old who is hard of hearing and somewhat visually impaired a little more consideration than a younger person but that was not the case. The evenings were the worst for my mother and she came to dread the nights. With a ratio of one nurse for 30 patients any individal caring or TLC was a dream. Once my mother had an accident and waited 45 minutes to be cleaned up and also waited just as long to get someone to take her to the bathroom on another occation. She became fearful of asking for help because she was critisized for being too needy. Her roomate actually told us she heard the aides laughing about my moms requests outside her door. Meetings with the supervisory staff produced no positve results. They gave us all the right answers when we met and changed nothing after we left. My Mom passed away after about two weeks in rehab. I am confident that the stress of this environment did nothing positive for her. As a facility owned by the University of Rochester that spends many advertising dollars on promoting their Highlands facilities perhaps the money would be better spent on patient care mental as well as physical. I regret that my Mother had to spend her last days in such an environment.

April 04, 2016

By jopinkcat

the staff are rude and they keep you from seeing your loved one who is terminally ill. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone

February 29, 2016

By Julia24

I wasn’t impressed with The Highlands and honestly I wouldn’t go back there. The care was not adequate, I felt that they were not as respectful to mom as they could. The seemed not as well kept, it was much more institutional, and the food was horrendous. She became very scared and unsafe there with them.

August 30, 2012

By leilaf

Although it can be difficult for an elderly person to lose their independence, the Highlands at Pittsford does their best to accommodate residents in such a way that makes it feel like home. The facilities were fresh, clean, and cheerful, with many large windows; I saw several outdoor patios where residents could socialize or simply enjoy the sun. The Highlands at Pittsford offers several levels of care, ranging from nearly independent living, through assisted living all the way to advanced nursing care. My grandfather initially was a resident of assisted living and later transferred to a more advanced level of care; at both levels the staff was wonderful. I could tell they genuinely cared about the residents, their level of closeness felt more like family instead of an employee/client type of atmosphere. The best part was probably the number of social activities available to the residents; it seemed like there was always something going on that elderly people would actually like to participate in, like watching older movies they remembered fondly, or stretching exercises outside, or even an ice cream social. My grandfather actually made several close friends during his stay at the Highlands; it was nice to see how he was able to remain active and engaged in such a positive atmosphere.

June 01, 2012

By coopaloop42

In my experience this nursing home was very good. My grandmother really liked all of the nurses, and over time she became extremely acquainted with each and everyone in the building. There were a lot of activities that went on at least twice a week. I visited once and saw an amazing pianist playing in front of the living room. The food we ate there was... bearable, and I imagine in the resident's advanced age they probably couldn't taste the food anyway. My grandma had a couple accidents while residing there. She fell on the tile floor in the kitchen once and the staff was there within a matter of seconds to aid my ailing grandmother. My grandmother survived a couple falls while there before she passed. The rooms were fairly small, but that isn't too bad for a senior, as they don't have to walk as far to get to their chair. There was a kitchen in each room with an oven, microwave, and sink... also possibly a dishwasher. Overall my experience with The Highlands was a great one. The only possible improvement is bigger kitchens and maybe better food.

Services and Amenities of The Highlands at Brighton

• Overall:
  • Ownership Type: Non Profit Corporation
  • Date Certified: 10/01/2020

About The Highlands at Brighton

The Highlands at Brighton is a senior living provider in Rochester, New York that offers residents Nursing Homes. Contact The Highlands at Brighton for more details on services and rates.

Map of The Highlands at Brighton