Brighton Gardens of Omaha

Reviews of Brighton Gardens of Omaha

Assisted Living Reviews for Brighton Gardens of Omaha

February 22, 2017

By elderlydeservesloveandrespect

We had our mother reside at Brighton Gardens. She experienced the rehab and the AL areas. Our initial rating would have been higher until, realizing in hindsight, her needs became more and they did not communicate this to us (we live out of state) . We talked with mom everyday and she expressed her disgust, we talked with the staff but we're never told mom needed more care. I feel they were neglectful in not addressing moms changing needs to us, so we could make sure she was in the right place for her needs. Mom's leg bag was so tight, she had two areas of "bed sores" that were not addressed, poor housekeeping, sat with empty oxygen tank, black mold in drinking glass,...... We all make errors, but even small errors or an oversight should not affect the quality of care for a loved one. Do your research!
We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. We care deeply about the care and well-being of our residents Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so that we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

February 15, 2017

By Rebecca Noble

We chose Brighton for my mother because she needed skilled nursing care. She was not there to recover from hip or knee replacement surgery, or other surgeries requiring short-term rehabilitation and care. In the dining room, many of the guests were able to feed themselves, converse with other residents, and make their way to and from the dining room. My mother was unable to do any of that. She was seated at a table with 2 other residents who were unable to eat independently. The husband of one of the women was there a good deal of the time, feeding his wife. I was sometimes able to be there during a meal, so I did the same for my mom. When I could not be there, my mother sat. She didn’t eat because she couldn’t physically pick up the silverware. Occasionally, one of the caretakers would come by and give her a bit of food - he did the same for one of the other women there. He would then be off to serve food to others. So my mom sat…and sat…and sat. On one occasion, a friend of mom’s (a nurse who works with the elderly) came to see her. She was shocked at the lack of care in the dining room. Another friend came to see her and also took time to feed her because mom was sitting in the dining room unable to eat on her own. Two other friends came to see her and commented on the lack of care - and caring - on the part of the caregivers. The caregivers (I believe the CNAs) spent little time giving any care. They laughingly walked down the hall, joking with each other. One day I walked down the hall behind them. One of them looked into my mom’s room and said to the other, “Oh, she’s peeking around the curtain at me.” They laughed and kept walking. I went into my mom’s room. She was crying and said she needed to go to the bathroom but no one came, so she had an accident. Her hands did not work well enough to push the button for help, so the only thing she could do was peek around the corner and hope that someone would come to help her. One Friday when I arrived in the afternoon, my mom was in the same outfit she had worn the day before. It was covered with food stains - not one or two spots, but literally covered, as were her slacks (from dropping food into her lap). I went to the nurse’s station and complained about her clothing. They agreed that should not happen and that they would make sure it wouldn’t happen again. The following day my husband and I visited in the afternoon. We opened the armoire and her clothes were just tossed in there on the floor. On top of the armoire was a top, pair of pants, and jacket - also just thrown up there. These were all clothes needing laundering. I went out again to complain to the nurses. They agreed that should not happen. As I began to walk back, one of the caregivers was heading down the hall. The nurse asked if she was coming to mom’s room to take care of the laundry. She said she didn’t know what we were talking about, so I explained the situation to her. She said she would be right down. My husband stood at the door, waiting for her. She walked by 3 or 4 times and then (about 20 minutes later) looked into the room and said, “Oh, right I should come in and get those clothes before I forget about it.” She told us it was the fault of the evening crew; they were to take care of laundry. On December 28, I told the nurse that there was something really wrong with my mother. She said they thought maybe that was her baseline. From the time she checked in on December 23, she continued to go downhill, until she was unable to speak clearly by the 27th. Once I told them that her situation had gotten much worse, they decided to send her to UNMC for a CT scan. Ultimately, an MRI was done and she was diagnosed with advanced dementia, with a third of her brain atrophied. She returned to Brighton on December 28. She stayed until January 12, when it was determined that therapy was not at all beneficial for her. I have no quarrel with that diagnosis, nor do I have issues with the therapists or the nurses. They were all knowledgeable and cared about the patients. Ultimately, my mother went to the Hospice House where she died on January 18. Because of the brain bleed my mother experienced after a fall, we knew that her prognosis was not a positive one. It was important that she be treated with kindness and dignity for whatever time she had remaining. That did not happen at Brighton Gardens. Food-stained clothing, leaving her in her bed when she had an accident, lack of assistance with eating, ignoring her because she couldn’t speak up for herself; none of those things should happen to anyone. I mailed a letter on January 23 to the executive director. A week later I had a call from someone in the sales department, asking if we had thought anymore about moving my mom into their memory care unit. I told her my mother died on January 18, and that she left Brighton Gardens on January 12 to go into hospice care. The sales person told me that she was sorry, and that she was in a completely different department and they really didn't have much communication between the different departments. Wouldn't you think she would check to see if my mom was still at Brighton, and if not, where she went? If you're there short-term needing rehabilitation after surgery, it's probably fine, but if your loved one does need nursing care, stay away!
We care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents and are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so that we can learn more.

February 06, 2017

By Terry R Kaser

Brighton Gardens-Omaha is a great facility. My mom has lived in the memory care unit for almost 4 years. The staff are great. They are all caring and from my observations they always treat their residents (including my mother) with loving kindness and compassion. If something happened to me and I had to live in a care facility - Brighton Gardens would absolutely be my first choice in Omaha.

January 11, 2017

By Kath625165

I was impressed with Brighton Gardens with all the places I have visited, so my husband will stay here in one month. It’s not small or too large, and it has different levels of care. It was clean, and they had a resident dog which is nice because my husband loves dogs. The residents were very clean, active, and happy.

August 03, 2016

By Anonymousne

If I could give Brighton zero stars I would. My grandmother has been here for several years and in that time had had possessions stolen from her, and has received the lowest quality of care. They have neglected to give her, her medication several times, including a five day consecutive period where she did not receive certain meds due to "computer error", which I do not believe. I do not trust them in the slightest and my other family members have no peace of mind and feel the constant need to check on her and ensure her safety. The food has gone down in quality and all my grandmother eats there anymore are sandwiches and not fully nutritional good tasting meals. The staff is incompetent and unfocused on the job at hand. We are currently pursuing other options. Do not let your loved ones suffer the same bad care.
We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. We care deeply about the safety and well-being of our residents and staff. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving.com so that we can learn more. –The Sunrise Team

May 28, 2016

By katsinger

I'm POA for my mom and we chose this facility after moving from Bickford, which I recommend highly if your loved one has dementia. Unconcerned About Medical Needs: First, you pay specifically to have meds dispensed. We pay $24 dollars a day or $744 a month. My mother has Parkinson's and they cannot get her meds on time. They use the excuse that the law allows an hour before and an hour after to administer drugs. My mother’s doctor sent an order saying her medicine needed to be given within 15 minutes of the ordered time and they said they couldn’t accept the doctor’s orders. After explaining to Lana (nurse) and Monica (care manager – I believe) that my mother was getting so stiff that she was having a hard time breathing because her meds were given so inconsistently, they made it clear they don’t care. Lana read from the records how med aids are consistently 30-40 minutes late or early and said she thinks they are “trying.” They said they are not a nursing home and so could not get meds on-time, since nursing homes are by law required to get meds closer to the time prescribed. Bickford did not use that excuse and they were able to get meds to my mother on-time. No Levels of Care: As mentioned, insisting my mom get good care led to Monica and Lana saying she needed to go to a nursing home if she wanted meds on-time. Brighton Gardens assisted living claims to have levels of care, but this is in practice not the case. Other Care Issues: Caregivers don't come promptly when you press the call button. I've seen several residents struggling to feed themselves and no one helps them. My mother said someone struggled and finally they had to hire someone outside of the facility to feed one resident. Others simply don’t eat. My mom has no problem feeding herself, but has lost a significant amount of weight at Brighton Gardens. They don’t record the weight-loss, even notice it let alone inform me of it, or even seem to care when I brought up my concern. Can’t Reach a Care Manager: They boast they have a care manager for every level. Don’t be fooled! Every time I call it takes 15-45 minutes to reach the “care manager,” a nurse, OR their voicemail. Can’t Reach My Mom on the Phone: My mother lives on the third floor and when her cell phone isn't charged or her home phone isn't working, I call Brighton Gardens to reach her. This is an expected norm for assisted livings to provide this service, particularly assisted livings with “levels of care,” such as Brighton Gardens. It takes up to 45 minutes to reach my mom, because no one carries a “third floor phone.” Until I realized the situation I would call four to six times, which would lead to being disconnected. Eventually someone would find a third floor phone and I could talk to my mother. Now it takes about 15 minutes to get a hold of my mom and two to three calls, because I specifically state that I'll hold as long as it takes to get a third floor phone. This does not work for my busy out-of-state siblings, who have simply quit trying to call when my mother’s phone is not working. The scary part about this is that the reminiscence or dementia group is on the third floor, which means those family members can’t reach their loved ones by phone at all. Promised to Get Medicaid Beds in Sales Pitch: The sales person said that they didn't currently take Medicaid after a certain number of years of private pay, but that they were going to get Medicaid beds within the space of a year. That has not happened. They will not have Medicaid beds, says Wendy the director. That was found out only after my mom had a tour and decided to move there. In reality, there are four Medicaid beds on the nursing home side. Forced to Move or Go on Hospice: If you run out of money and there is no room in the nursing home, then residents are told to get on hospice or move out. I’ve witnessed one man move because of this. Promised Free Wi-Fi, But it Does Not Work: If you think free wi-fi is coming with your room, then think again. It works somewhat on the first floor, but it doesn’t work consistently even there. For my mom who has a printer that requires wi-fi to connect with her laptop, the wi-fi doesn’t work well enough to even print. They said they’d fix the problem and about three days after my mom moved there added some repeaters, but when that didn’t work they ignored the problem. Now we pay for private internet, which is an unexpected expense. Quality of Food Gone Down: Originally the food was much better than at Bickford. Recently my mom has said that the food is not as lovingly made, because someone was let go. She also says there is a lack of variety as they repeat menu items consistently. This has led to a loss of appetite and weight-loss. Activities and Residents are a Redeeming Factor: My mother has been afraid to leave Brighton Gardens, because there are a lot of residents able to communicate. This was not the case at Bickford. The activities at Brighton Gardens are fun for my mom. They’ve had painting and wine and other activities that feel like an event. Residents can ask one of several activities coordinators to get a board game going at any given time of the day and one will often sit and play with the group, which is above industry standards. On the other hand, they do tend to have a lot of the typical boring assisted living activities, such as subpar musicians hosting sing-a-longs and Bingo games. They also only have one outing a week and one special outing a month. That is not the norm for many facilities, where they take residents on two outings a month (one is usually shopping). I have been impressed with some of the special outings: Christmas light viewing from a bus, storm chasers baseball game, trip to Lauritzen Gardens, and etc. The big events happen quarterly, other special outings include taking residents out to eat. If there is ever a fee for the outings, then you pay for entrance fees, food, or any other expenses. I have communicated my concerns and more to specifically the director, Wendy, and others who could address these issues. I’ve filled out surveys where I specified problems. I have concluded this is a money making facility with very little care for their residents past the fun stuff. They have no problem solving abilities; even ones that are simple like having someone carry the third floor phone. I’ve heard from several that Brighton Gardens in Omaha was once a much better facility. I would avoid this place. My mom is currently a resident there, but we are putting our months’ notice in based on the poor level of care. I have also contacted Martin at the head office about some of the care issues and communication problems. Yesterday I left two voice messages on his phone again. Oddly it takes a minute or so to get connected to Martin’s voicemail when calling the Sunrise headquarters hotline by simply stating I have a complaint, while it takes significantly longer to reach the voicemail of my mother’s specific care manager at Brighton Gardens in Omaha.

We’re sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. Please contact us at information (at) sunriseseniorliving (dot) com so we can better understand your concerns. –The Sunrise Team

December 20, 2015

My husband is living at Brighton Gardens. They promised me that they could take care of him at an assisted living facility; however, after a month, they said he needs to be in skilled nursing, so the price went from about $5,000 to $10,000. I’m a little bitter about the whole facility. The room from the assisted living was small, but it is clean. It's fine. The caregivers are young and energetic -- not too well trained but fun to be around. My husband enjoys the activities. He likes the news program, special outside activities, music, and happy hour. The food is fine, too.

Thank you for sharing a review. Please know we take all concerns seriously and would like to learn more about your experience at Sunrise. Please email us at Information(At)SunriseSeniorLiving(Dot)com. Thank you, Sunrise Team

July 28, 2015

By Caring109020950

Brighton Gardens was OK, but the rooms were small. The sanitation was fine.

July 11, 2015

By Zippy63

If you are looking for excellent care for your loved one this is the place you would want them to be. My elderly mother was at Brighton Gardens for rehab and she and I were very pleased with the care she received. The staff was upbeat, very knowledgeable, and always available to answer questions. I live and work out of state which was very hard for me to not be there but I was in close communication with my mothers nurses during her stay. I was able to speak to my mother on a daily basis. The aids were wonderful readily available to help with whatever needed done. Therapy was top notch and always encouraging. This is a very clean well kept facility with very caring staff and excellent food. I highly recommend this facility.

May 28, 2015

I would say Brighton Gardens would have been a 5-star except for the rooms. They were too small. The one that we saw had a small refrigerator and some shelves, but no cabinets. It was like a dorm room. It was not what my parents were looking for.

January 18, 2015

By Alicia9

I have visited Brighton Gardens of Omaha. It was excellent. My first impression of the place was that it was beautiful.

December 13, 2014

By Bunny5

Mom is at Brighton Gardens of Omaha. My brother had been doing a research for the last year, and this facility was our best option. I talked to them all the time; I call and I know who they are, and they tell me about my mom. I like the fact that all the doors of the room are open and you can see if there is a problem, but they still have a sleeping area with some privacy. The bathrooms are very accessible. I like the fact that their windows give them something to see the seasons and feel connected. I also like the fact that they are not a really big facility. The activities are good. She is a memory care unit, but they give them projects to do to keep their minds and hands busy.

October 25, 2014

The main reason we picked Brighton Gardens is that they have continuing care, so you could go from assisted living to memory care to the higher level memory and skilled nursing all in one facility. So the change for my mother would not be major. I think the staff is good, and they look after her nicely. Her room is fine, it is adequate, and it does the job. It is a studio apartment, but that is all she needs, so it is good. The food must be good because she is gaining weight. Looking at their activity list, they have a lot. She is in memory care, and they work hard to get them out to partake in activities. They need to improve on their communication in a manner that works for me. I put a communication notebook in there with the intent that I would put notes in there for them to read, and they would put notes in there for me to read, and they can't seem to handle that concept.

February 04, 2013

By acaciabs

My mother was in the skilled care rehabilitation area after a fall. She was given too many meds and was required to go to the hopsital due to this. Not a good situation, they acted like they didn't want her there. I know she was not an easy patient as she was in a lot of pain but overdosing on pain meds was not the answer.

Thank you for your message. Our comprehensive approach to nursing and rehabilitation care focuses on providing quality, skilled nursing care to support each resident's dignity and respecting their wishes. We would like to hear from you directly so that we can better understand your concerns. Please contact us at information@sunriseseniorliving.com; we would welcome you back to see us again.

June 29, 2012

By annemcloskey

My grandmother never once had anything negative to say about the community. She often praised the meals (which are not just a few items on a menu) as she was able to eat whatever she wanted on any given day. Her favorite activity, by far, was the active church group. She seemed quite happy during her stay, and every time I visited I was given the impression that she was being taken care of. It's not an uptight place, in fact the freedoms given to the citizens are outstanding. It's a great home for anyone who needs a little assistance but still craves the freedom of being an individual.

April 17, 2012

By niceguymatt84

I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at Brighton Gardens. I felt the grounds were well kept and the staff was very pleasant. I have been to other facilities in the past for family related matters and such, and Brighton just seemed to surpass them all. It did not have the air of sadness or the dimly lit hallways that a lot of facilities tend to have. My only complaint is that the food I sampled was rather cold and tasteless, but that may just be attributed to my younger age. All in all, I would definitely recommend Brighton Gardens to anyone that is looking for a safe and comforting place for a family member to reside.

January 06, 2012

By niceguy

I have been this facility many times as I live in the city and have my grandpa staying there. It is clean,well organized, welcoming, friendly and importantly most caring facility I have ever visited. I have visited other facilities in other cities as well, but this is the best by far. I thank everyone for caring my grandpa. I don't need to worry about how my grandpa is doing there as I have a good trust with them and they do care my grandpa like a family member. The staff are awesome and they provide everything to residents timely and treat equally. I am happy that my grandpa is under the most caring umbrella. I thank you very much to all the staff and Brighton Gardens of Omaha itself.

July 28, 2011

This facility is top notch. It is so beautiful to begin with and has all the ammenities of home plus more. It is clean and well kept up. The environment of the common areas are right out of a "Better Homes and Gardens" magazine. The food is delicious. I eat with my parents at least once a week and never have had a bad meal. The chef used to own a resaurant in Omaha locally, so the food is like dining out, with fine china used each and every day. Activities abound at this charming facility. There is something to do every hour of each day. Once I called my Mom and told her I was stopping by to visit and she said, well--we are just about to start "such and such activity" and we will have to see you later. I was like--WOW, she is so busy she does not always need company! This is a relief for our family to know that our Mom and Dad are having a good time where they live! The staff at Brighton Gardens really care. They are very down to earth and really nice people. The house dog, just died recently, but Ellie was part of our family from the very beginning because we love pets. They will be getting a new house dog in time. They are still greaving Ellie's passing. All the care takers for my parents are wonderful! They pay attention to each and every person in the home. My sister and I decided on placing my parents in this home originally because out of all the homes we checked into, this was the one home that we ourselves would want to live in. The staff treated us like they had known us for years. It was so welcoming in such a stressful time. The facility serves all types of people, making availabe Assisted Living (that is where my parents are now) and also provides extended care for the elderly and for Alzheimer's patients. It truly is a well rounded place to call home for people that need the assitance as they age. I would live here in a heartbeat! WE are so fortunate that my parents are in great HANDS!

June 01, 2011

By VikingsOrth

Friend or relative of resident

When I found out my great-grandpa needed to be moved into assisted living, I was crushed. I love him very much and I didn't believe that anyone could provide the care he needs to my satisfaction. Luckily I was wrong. We took a tour of Brighton Gardens of Omaha and it was love at first site. Brighton Gardens of Omaha not only provides assisted living but a real community and a network of amazing people. The staff is one of a kind and removed any doubts I had about putting my great-grandpa into the hands of anyone else. I can sleep well at night knowing my great-grandpa is under the care of Brighton Gardens of Omaha.

Nursing Home Reviews for Brighton Gardens of Omaha

October 25, 2015

By Gary114081150

My friend was at Brighton Gardens of Omaha for four months for rehabilitation. Nothing really impressed me, but it’s a nice place. The rooms were doubles, so two people share a room. They have a lot of activities, and my friend played bingo all the time, but the food is mediocre, and the staff is very poor. It seems like they only have 10 people on staff constantly, so, as far as coming to the room, they’re very slow responding. The staff that works there is very nice but constantly changes. They should pay the staff more, so that they stay around.

July 02, 2015

My stepmom decided to go take my father to Brighton Gardens. I also have my mother-in-law there. I know the community. They people working there are good. Right now, my father is sharing a room and he is in the skilled nursing. I eat there and the food is good. In the skilled nursing area, they all sit in one big dining room, which is fine so that they can talk to each other. The cleanliness is good and it is a caring community. I will recommend it to others.

May 12, 2015

By Steve106126050

The name of the community that we went to for my father was Brighton Gardens. He was there for rehabilitation. We chose it because it was referred to us by the hospital, and it was close to his house. We used it for approximately 30 days. It was a very nice and newer place. The staff was very helpful. They work rehabilitation with him. He had a shared room, which was functional and adequate. They had very good food. They had a very nice dining area. They had some common areas, televisions, cards, bingo, and those kinds of things. They had different kinds of activities for the people there. I would recommend them to anyone.

June 20, 2012

By IT guy

My mother has been a resident twice. Regarding nursing staff, they seem to be able to retain theirs(not a bunch of temps), and have an adequate number. Food seems OK, and level of attention seems pretty good. Facility is nice, not run-down in any way I noticed. Perhaps a little expensive, (but not over the top).

Photos of Brighton Gardens of Omaha

Services and Amenities of Brighton Gardens of Omaha

About Brighton Gardens of Omaha

Conveniently located just minutes from the medical center, and with close access to the interstate and shopping malls, Brighton Gardens of Omaha is located within a park-like setting in the heart of Omaha, Nebraska. We pride ourselves in our variety of senior living and Alzheimer's care services, allowing us to meet the growing needs of our assisted living community. We are especially proud of our two dementia units that offer Alzheimer's care for those with early and advanced stages of the disease.

In search of senior living in Nebraska? When you choose Brighton Gardens of Omaha for assisted living and senior housing, you'll discover our beautifully landscaped courtyard and gardens, enjoy our fine cuisine, and have the opportunity to join an activity or social group. This senior housing community has an abundance of ways and the skilled nursing necessary for making your life enjoyable. Here you'll find an assisted living community that's committed to comfort and care, including: tastefully appointed apartment-style living, attractive and spacious community areas, and daily assistance from an attentive, caring, and trained staff. At Brighton Gardens of Omaha, we take care to consider your assisted living needs as well as your wishes.

Map of Brighton Gardens of Omaha