30 Assisted Living Facilities near Staunton, VA
There are 30 Assisted Living Facilities in the Staunton area, with 7 in Staunton and 23 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Staunton is $3,295 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 112 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Staunton. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Staunton 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Fishersville with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Staunton find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Staunton, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Staunton, VA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Staunton
Staunton lies nestled in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley and was the first community in Virginia to receive a “Great American Main Street Award.” Boasting a large senior population, Staunton is home to about 25,000 residents, 20 percent of whom are age 65 and older. To accommodate seniors who may need hands-on support with the activities of daily living (ADLs), such as dressing, bathing, shopping and eating, Staunton offers seven assisted living communities, and seniors can choose from another 20 facilities in nearby cities, including Fishersville, Waynesboro and Stuarts Draft.
Virginia’s Department of Social Services oversees assisted living facilities (ALFs) in Staunton, as in all of the state. These non-medical residential communities provide personal and healthcare services and 24-hour supervision for four or more adults.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Staunton
- Seniors with an interest in historical architecture may appreciate Staunton. The National Trust for Historic Preservation named the city “One of a Dozen Distinctive Destinations in the United States.” Five historic districts surround the compact downtown area that boasts over 100 shops, galleries, restaurants and the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library and Museum.
- Staunton has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Valley Program for Aging Seniors (VPAS). In addition to activities and lunch at the Staunton Senior Center, VPAS offers health and wellness programs, outings and field trips, and transportation for seniors who can no longer drive. This makes it easy to get to doctor’s appointments, grocery shop and pick up medical prescriptions.
- Seniors who don’t care for precipitation should know that Staunton gets, on average, 43 inches of rain and 23 inches of snow per year. Summers can be quite humid, with a July high that averages 84 degrees.
- A violent crime rate of 13.3 in Staunton is much lower than the U.S. average of 22.7. Property crime is about average, however, with Staunton scoring a 34 on a scale of 1 to 100, with 100 being high crime.
- The cost of living in Staunton is about 10 percent lower than the U.S. average. Seniors on tight budgets typically save money on groceries, utilities and transportation here.
- The Staunton area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Augusta Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Staunton
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Virginia
Assisted Living costs in Staunton start around $3,295 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Staunton and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Staunton
In Virgina, the Auxillary Grant helps seniors pay for some of the costs of assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Staunton
Staunton and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Staunton, please visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page.
The 10 Best Assisted Living Communities in Staunton Area
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Staunton
Staunton-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Virginia are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Virginia page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Staunton, VA
Other Options in Staunton, VA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Staunton
Review of Birch Gardens of Royal Care
My mom was previously in an assisted living place called Birch Gardens of Royal Care. There was nothing not to like about it. It was everything we wanted. The accommodations were good, the food was... Read more
Review of Brightview Baldwin Park
I'm living in Brightview Baldwin Park. It's excellent, it's very good. Right now, I'm in a studio apartment with a large room, bathroom, refrigerator unit, kitchen cabinets and a closet. The food i... Read more
Review of Brookdale Staunton
I had an uncle who was at Brookdale Staunton. It has been awhile since I visited, but everyone was pleasant, and he seemed to like it OK. The community seemed to be very nice, the people there seem... Read more