53 Assisted Living Facilities near South Park, PA
There are 53 Assisted Living Facilities in the South Park area.
To help you with your search, browse the 310 reviews below for assisted living facilities in South Park. Better rated regions include Bethel Park with an average rating of 3.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in South Park, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in South Park, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in South Park
The Pennsylvanian township of South Park is graced with the South Park County Park, which is situated within the city limits. Seniors who enjoy nature have plenty to love in this city. This semi-rural community is located in the Pittsburgh metro area, where 17.7 percent of the population is made up of seniors, and they have 59 assisted living facilities to choose from in the area.
Referred to in Pennsylvania as assisted living residences (ALRs), these communities in South Park are regulated by the Department of Aging, Office of Living, Division of Licensing. They are defined as residences that assist four or more adults with personal care and medication assistance.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in South Park
- The weather in South Park is usually cloudy and rainy, so seniors who enjoy the heat, dry weather or sunny days most likely won't find the climate agreeable. In mid-summer, however, the highs average 83 degrees Fahrenheit.
- South Park's cost of living, which is 1 percent higher than the national average, is a bright spot for seniors living in the area. The cost of health care is especially noteworthy, at 89 percent of the national average. Groceries and housing costs are also low, at 95 percent of the average. Transportation costs are high, ranking at 25 percent higher than the average.
Taxes in South Park are also a positive note. The state totally exempts both Social Security income and income from retirement accounts, giving seniors more of their earnings come tax time.
- The crime rate in the city brings more good news. Violent crime and property crime are both lower than the average rate in the nation. Property crime is significantly lower, at about 72 percent of the national average, making South Park safer than many places for seniors to live.
- The Pittsburgh area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Clair Hospital and Western Pennsylvania Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Air quality in the South Park area is quite poor, as the neighboring metropolitan area of Pittsburgh ranks among the cities with the worst scores in the nation for high ozone, 24-hour particle pollution and annual particle pollution. Seniors with respiratory ailments may wish to consider this if they are thinking of living in the city.
Paying for Assisted Living in South Park
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in South Park start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in South Park and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in South Park
There are no Medicare-based programs for seniors in ALRs in Pennsylvania. A supplement to SSI income is available for residents of personal care homes but not for residents of ALRs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in South Park
South Park and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in South Park, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in South Park
South Park-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.