55 Assisted Living Facilities near Pittsburgh, PA
Also serving communities of Cabot.
There are 55 Assisted Living Facilities in the Pittsburgh area, with 50 in Pittsburgh and 5 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Pittsburgh is $3,758 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Mckees Rocks with an average starting cost of $3,437.
To help you with your search, browse the 318 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Pittsburgh. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Pittsburgh 4.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Duquesne with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 25 families in Pittsburgh find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Pittsburgh, call (855) 863-8283.
50 Assisted Living Facilities in Pittsburgh, PA
5 Assisted Living Facilities near Pittsburgh, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Pittsburgh
Nestled on the banks of three majestic rivers, Pittsburgh is a charming city with heaps to do and see. With approximately 20 percent of the population over the age of 60, it's not surprising that the city has a large number of assisted living facilities to help accommodate them. There are 50 assisted living communities within the Pittsburgh city limits and another nine in nearby areas such as Mckees Rocks and West Mifflin. The Pennsylvania Long-Term Care Council is responsible for the licensing and oversight of the state's assisted living facilities.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Pittsburgh
- In Pittsburgh, the summers are usually warm and partly cloudy and the winters can be very cold and mostly cloudy. With an average annual temperature of 52°F and average annual rainfall of 35 inches, it's not likely that the weather will spoil time spent outdoors.
- The American Lung Association ranked Pittsburgh as one of the most polluted cities in the U.S. The city was ranked 24th for ozone pollution, 8th for year-round particle pollution, and 7th for short-term particle pollution. This is definitely something to consider for seniors with respiratory illnesses.
- The cost of living in the Pittsburgh area is 15 percent higher than the national average and ten percent higher than the average for the rest of the state. Pittsburgh is ranked the 32nd most expensive city out of 54 cities in the state, making it a relatively affordable place to live.
- The Pittsburgh area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Pittsburgh is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Pittsburgh has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Glen Hazel Senior Center, an organization that encourages seniors to maintain their physical well-being, as well as 14 or more other senior centers.
Paying for Assisted Living in Pittsburgh
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Pittsburgh start around $3,758 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Pittsburgh and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Pittsburgh
Seniors in Pittsburgh can apply for funding from the local government via the Medicaid program to help them subsidize the cost of living in an assisted living facility.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Pittsburgh, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near Pittsburgh, PA
Other Options in Pittsburgh, PA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Pittsburgh
Review of Norbert Personal Care
My great uncle is a current resident. The facility has lots of great activities, updates throughout the building, and a caring staff. The room he is in is kept very clean, as well as the rest of ... Read more
Review of The Pines of Mount Lebanon
My client moved into the Pines of Mount Lebanon. She has an apartment of her own, she said it was very homey as soon as she walked in, and the staff was informative and helpful. It's very clean. Th... Read more
Review of New Hope Gracious Personal Care
The wife of a minister friend of ours who helped people find a new home in Pittsburgh area senior citizen communities, personal care homes, and nursing homes recommended that we visit three persona... Read more