47 Assisted Living Facilities near Sharon, PA
There are 47 Assisted Living Facilities in the Sharon area, with 1 in Sharon and 46 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 127 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Sharon. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Sharon 1.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Hermitage with an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Sharon, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Sharon, PA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Sharon
Sharon is on the western border of Pennsylvania and is part of the metropolitan area for Youngstown, Ohio. Sharon’s economy is primarily based on several industrial sectors that serve senior citizens, including healthcare, social services and education. Its senior population of 17 percent can also benefit from the 46 assisted living facilities in the Sharon area, including one in Sharon itself. Pennsylvania’s Department of Human Services regulates assisted living facilities, which are officially described as assisted living residences. In addition to providing seniors with a place to live, these facilities also offer assistance with general living activities such as personal care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Sharon
- Sharon has a comfort rating of 46 on a scale of 1 to 100, which is slightly below the national average of 54. The annual snowfall of 50 inches accounts for a large part of this rating since the national average is only 39 inches. Seniors in Sharon may want to curtail their outdoor activities when the weather turns cold in the fall.
- The overall cost of living in Sharon is only 73 percent of the national average, largely because the housing cost is 35 percent of the national average. Utilities are one percent above but living expenses are significantly below the national average. The most effective way for seniors in Sharon to manage their budget is to control their heating costs during the winter.
- The crime rate is especially high in Sharon, largely because of its location in the Youngstown metroplex. The overall crime rate is 35.33 per thousand people per year, well above Pennsylvania’s average of 20.59. The great majority of this difference is in property crimes, so seniors in assisted living may want to be mindful of their belongings when they are running errands and attending appointments in town.
- The Shenango Valley Shuttle Service is a shuttle bus service provided by the Mercer County Regional Council of Governments. It includes several routes through downtown Sharon and other cities in the county. Senior citizens 65 and older ride for free.
- The Buhl Community Recreation Center maintains a regular schedule of activities designed specifically for seniors, including aquatics, group fitness and walking. Some insurance plans cover this membership for senior citizens. Financial assistance may also be available for the membership fees, depending on income.
- The Sharon area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Sharon Regional Health System, UPMC Health System and Primary Health Network, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Sharon
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Pennsylvania
Assisted Living costs in Sharon start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Sharon and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Sharon
A Supplemental Security Income is available for seniors in Sharon who need financial assistance for assisted living. This benefit requires the beneficiary to live in non-nursing residential care.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Sharon
Sharon and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Sharon, please visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Sharon
Sharon-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Pennsylvania are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Pennsylvania page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Sharon
Review of Ashby Personal Care Boarding Home
I had a family member in this home. They were miserable, The lady running the house is very unprofessional and downright rude. She speaks to the residents as if they were animals, doesn't feed them... Read more