38 Assisted Living Facilities near Youngstown, OH
There are 38 Assisted Living Facilities in the Youngstown area, with 9 in Youngstown and 29 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Youngstown is $3,733 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,630.
To help you with your search, browse the 125 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Youngstown. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Youngstown 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Boardman with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 8 families in Youngstown find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Youngstown, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Youngstown, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Youngstown
Youngstown has a population of approximately 65,000 and is about 65 miles from Cleveland and about 61 miles from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It lies on the Mahoning River and is generally considered part of the greater Pittsburgh metro area. Youngstown has 10 assisted living facilities, and 25 more are nearby in areas such as Poland, Ohio, and Hermitage, Pennsylvania. The Ohio Department of Health licenses residential care facilities in Youngstown and elsewhere in Ohio. The facilities provide a range of supervision and personal care services to a minimum of three unrelated residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Youngstown
- Youngstown gets an above-average amount of snow per year, 43 inches as opposed to the nationwide average of 26 inches. The city receives just 160 sunny days a year, while the country averages 205. The amount of rainfall in the city matches nationwide numbers at 39 inches per year.
- Air quality in Youngstown is 54 out of 100 compared with 58 for the United States. This link gives daily air quality data.
- Youngstown’s cost of living is 14 percent lower than the national average. Housing and health care costs are each 22 percent less, while groceries are 9 percent less and transportation 8 percent less.
- The Western Reserve Transit Authority provides mass transportation in the area. It provides service Monday through Saturday on bus routes. Seniors 65 and older can purchase certain discount tickets, and in some cases, different discounted passes are available for seniors starting at age 62.
- Youngstown is safer than 8 percent of U.S. cities. It has a violent crime rate of 6.45 crimes per 1,000 residents. The rate in Ohio is 3 crimes per 1,000 people.
- The city is home to Youngstown State University, which offers sporting events and other events such as the Summer Festival of the Arts. Also in Youngstown are the Butler Institute of American Art, Fellows Riverside Gardens and TP Auto Car Collection Museum. Parks such as Lake Milton State Park and Poland Forest offer diverse recreational and exercise opportunities for folks of varying ages and abilities.
Paying for Assisted Living in Youngstown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Youngstown start around $3,733 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Youngstown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Youngstown
Senior citizens in Youngstown may qualify for Medicaid waiver caps for assisted living if they receive SSI. Ohio also has a cash-assistance program for certain individuals who are disabled, blind or elderly to help with their community-based living arrangements and other living costs. The state also runs programs called MyCare and 1915(c) Assisted Living Program to help with assisted living for some seniors.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Youngstown
Youngstown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Youngstown, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Youngstown
Youngstown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Youngstown, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Youngstown
Review of Liberty Arms Assisted Living
I'm currently in Windsor House at Liberty Arms Assisted Living Residence. They have terrible management. Rude, arrogant, arbitrary, capricious, and acting with actual malice. The rooms are fine, th... Read more
Review of Canfield Place
I did a tour of Canfield Place. We were just looking for a respite for a few weeks for my mom. The room I saw was nice. It was rather little, on the small side. That was a little bit of something t... Read more
Review of Canfield Place
We were able to tour Canfield Place and it was very nice. I saw everything about assisted living. I like the cleanliness. The rooms were very nice. The staff was friendly and very nice. They had a ... Read more