14 Assisted Living Facilities near Willoughby, OH
There are 14 Assisted Living Facilities in the Willoughby area, with 3 in Willoughby and 11 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Willoughby is $2,500 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,465.
To help you with your search, browse the 72 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Willoughby. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Willoughby 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Painesville with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Willoughby, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Willoughby, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Willoughby
Willoughby, Ohio, has been renamed twice and holds the national record for the town that changed counties most often — six times so far. Now part of Lake County, Willoughby is home to 22,268 people, 19% of whom are aged 65 and older. Seniors can volunteer at the local senior center or take classes like tai chi and yoga.
For those in that age group who need assistance with the tasks of daily living, the town has three assisted living facilities, with twelve more in neighboring communities. The Ohio Department of Health regulates assisted living facilities in Willoughby and the rest of the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Willoughby
- Ohio is moderately tax-friendly toward retirees. Seniors in Willoughby and the rest of the state don't pay state income tax on Social Security income. Withdrawals from retirement accounts are fully taxed.
- Willoughby is home to world-class medical facilities, including West Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors with COPD and other respiratory ailments may be happy to know that the air quality here is 65, seven points higher than the U.S. average, according to the EPA's National Air Toxics Assessment.
- On a scale from 1 to 100, Willoughby's crime rate is 9.6, much lower than the national average of 22.7, and its property crime index at 31.4 is four points lower than the national average of 34.4. This may be welcome news to seniors and their families relocating to the area.
- On average, Willoughby receives 39 inches of rain per year, one inch more than the U.S. average. However, the city receives 68 inches of snow every year, 40 inches more than the average U.S. city. The sun shines 161 days per year in Willoughby, 44 days less than average in the rest of the country.
- Seniors and their families may pay less for housing, groceries and healthcare in Willoughby than in many other cities in the nation. Willoughby's cost of living is 89.9, about 10 points lower than the U.S. baseline of 100 and two points above the Ohio average of 87.7.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Willoughby
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Willoughby start around $2,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Willoughby and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Willoughby
In Willoughby and all of Ohio, seniors who are eligible for Medicaid may apply for the Ohio Assisted Living Waiver Program for financial assistance with some of the costs of assisted living, including grooming, hygiene, housekeeping and medication management.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Willoughby
Willoughby and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Willoughby, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Willoughby
Willoughby-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Willoughby, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Willoughby
Review of Ohio Living Breckenridge Village
My father was in Ohio Living Breckenridge for a while. Their services were OK, but it was too costly. There wa nsot enough staff, but the facilities were nice looking. He was there for assisted liv... Read more
Review of Maple Ridge Senior Living
The community had multiple buildings. The staff was very friendly. Each building has a common area and rooms around it. They do group activities, too. Read more
Review of Maple Ridge Senior Living
It was very nice, but we only had my uncle there for respite care. The set up is different with separate cottages, which was an advantage because my uncle saw the same nurses. The staff was very ni... Read more