15 Assisted Living Facilities near Willoughby, OH
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Willoughby area, with 3 in Willoughby and 12 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Willoughby is $2,500 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Euclid with an average starting cost of $1,540.
To help you with your search, browse the 70 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Willoughby. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Willoughby 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Painesville with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Willoughby, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Willoughby, OH
12 Assisted Living Facilities near Willoughby, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Willoughby
Willoughby, nestled in northeast Ohio along Lake Erie, was named after Dr. Westel Willoughby and is the only community in the United States to be a part of six separate counties including Washington, Jefferson, Trumbull, Geauga, Cuyahoga and Lake. The city has 22,268 residents including a senior population of 4,246. There are three assisted living facilities available in the city proper, in addition to another 12 in the surrounding areas, for seniors who may need some extra help with daily living activities.
Residential care facilities, as assisted living facilities are known in Willoughby and throughout Ohio, are licensed by the Ohio Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Willoughby
Social Security benefits are not taxed in Ohio, which might make the area ideal for Willoughby seniors with restrictive assisted living budgets.
- The Willoughby area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Lake Health West Medical Center and Northeast Ohio Heart Associates, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors can feel safe in Willoughby where violent crime rates are 9.5, less than half of the national average of 22.7. Property crime rates come in at 31.4, which is still less than the national average of 35.4.
- Seniors looking for a town with good air quality may find it in Willoughby. The city’s air quality has a score of 65 out of 100 where higher numbers equate to better air quality, almost 10 points higher than the national average of 58.
- The cost of living in Willoughby is 89.9, slightly higher than the Ohio average of 87.7 but lower than the national average of 100. Seniors can also expect to pay less for groceries, healthcare and transportation in this city, which may be a consideration for seniors looking for an affordable place to retire.
- Willoughby has warm summers with highs of 81 degrees and cooler winters with lows of 21. The city gets 39 inches of rain each year, one more than the national average of 38, and 68 inches of annual snowfall, 40 more than the national average of 28 inches. Due to all of the precipitation the city only gets 161 sunny days each year, 44 less than the national average of 205, which may be a consideration for seniors who enjoy spending a lot of time engaged in outdoor activities.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Willoughby
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Willoughby start around $2,500 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Willoughby and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Willoughby
Ohio has two Medicaid waiver programs designed to help low-income Willoughby seniors with their assisted living expenses, depending on which county they reside in. These programs are called the Assisted Living Waiver Program and MyCare Ohio.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Willoughby
Willoughby and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Willoughby, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Willoughby
Willoughby-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Willoughby, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Willoughby
Review of Ohio Living Breckenridge Village
My father was in Ohio Living Breckenridge for a while. Their services were OK, but it was too costly. There wa nsot enough staff, but the facilities were nice looking. He was there for assisted liv... Read more
Review of Maple Ridge Senior Living
The community had multiple buildings. The staff was very friendly. Each building has a common area and rooms around it. They do group activities, too. Read more
Review of Maple Ridge Senior Living
It was very nice, but we only had my uncle there for respite care. The set up is different with separate cottages, which was an advantage because my uncle saw the same nurses. The staff was very ni... Read more