14 Assisted Living Facilities near Mentor, OH
There are 14 Assisted Living Facilities in the Mentor area, with 5 in Mentor and 9 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Mentor is $3,198 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,495. Cheaper nearby regions include Willoughby with an average starting cost of $2,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 60 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Mentor. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Mentor 3.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Willoughby with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 9 families in Mentor find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Mentor, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Mentor, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Mentor
A small city nestled along the shores of Lake Erie, Mentor is a great place to live – and age. With a population of slightly over 47,000, Mentor is a beach-side respite from the hustle and bustle of Cleveland. It's a comfortable place to retire as well; 19.1 percent of the population is comprised of those 65 and older. Also, there are five assisted living facilities in the city and nine in nearby areas, like Willoughby and Wickliffe.
In Mentor, as well as throughout the rest of Ohio, residential care facilities, also known as assisted living facilities, are licensed and regulated by the Ohio Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Mentor
- Seniors can expect intense winters in Mentor, thanks to its location near the snow belt, with January temperatures averaging 21 degrees and 43 average inches of snow a year. However, summers are warm, with an average high of 81.
- Cost of living in Mentor is 14 percent higher than the national average. The costs of health care are about average, seniors should expect higher prices for groceries and daily necessities.
- Seniors who settle in Mentor can take advantage of Ohio's low state tax and senior tax incentives, including a marginal tax rate of 2.97 percent and no tax on Social Security distributions. However, withdrawals for retirement accounts are taxed in full.
- Public transportation in Mentor is limited to bus service provided by Laketran, the transit authority serving Lake County, Ohio. Laketran offers local routes, Park-n-Ride transportation to Cleveland, and Dial-a-Ride services with discounted rates for seniors.
- Mentor is a safe community for seniors, with an average of just 134.5 crimes per 100,000 people in 2016, versus the United States average of 283.8 crimes per 100,000 people.
- The Medina area is home to world-class medical facilities, including University Hospitals Mentor Health Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Mentor
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Mentor start around $3,198 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Mentor and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Mentor
For seniors living in Mentor, limited financial assistance is available under Ohio's Medicaid program, including the Ohio assisted living waiver program and the Residential State Supplement (RSS) program. Lake County also participates in the MyCare Ohio program, an expanded Medicaid plan that provides additional support.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Mentor
Mentor and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Mentor, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Mentor
Mentor-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Mentor, OH
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Mentor
Review of The Enclave of Newell Creek
The Enclave of Newell Creek was commercial-like. It didn't feel cozy; it felt more like a hotel to me. The apartments were very nice. We had one lady who was assisting that day, but she had never t... Read more
Review of Brookdale Mentor
Brookdale Mentor is a magnificent facility, and I would rate it a ten out of ten. It's very well-kept up, very clean, very nice to the eyes, the decor is very pleasant, and it's a very classy place... Read more
Review of Brookdale Mentor
Upon arrival to the community I was welcomed with smiling faces and warm greetings. Kailyn took me under her wing and made sure I was comfortable with my room and surroundings. She made me feel saf... Read more