37 Assisted Living Facilities near Salem, OH
There are 37 Assisted Living Facilities in the Salem area, with 3 in Salem and 34 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Salem is $3,495 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,465. Cheaper nearby regions include Columbiana with an average starting cost of $3,195.
To help you with your search, browse the 103 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Salem. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Salem 4.6 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Boardman with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Salem, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Salem, OH
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Salem
Founded by Quakers searching for freedom in 1806, Salem, OH, is known for championing freedoms for women during suffrage movement and acting as a major hub of the Underground Railroad. Today, this industrial city has a population of about 112,000, out of which 12 percent are seniors aged 65 and over.
Salem offers seniors the chance to maintain their own freedom via three assisted living facilities located within city limits. Additionally, there are 33 assisted living facilities spread over nearby Perry Township, Green Township, and Salem Township. These assisted living facilities offer seniors assistance with the activities of daily life, general supervision, and safe accommodations. Referred to as Residential Care Facilities by the state, they are regulated and licensed by the Ohio Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Salem
- The city of Salem offers historically rich arts and culture options as two separate parts of the city are designated National Register historic districts. Assisted living facilities may plan monthly outings to attractions such as the Butler Institute of Art, Salem Historical Society Museum, Burchfield Homestead, and Daniel Howell Hise House.
- The cost of living in Salem, OH is 77.6, which is well below the national average of 100 and the state average of 87.7, making it a great choice for seniors on a budget.
- Salem has a seasonal climate with hot summers that average temperatures in the 80s and cold winters that average temperatures in the 20s. Some seniors may find the extreme temperatures uncomfortable for enjoying the outdoors.
- Ohio does not tax social security checks, which can help seniors afford assisted living, but sales tax is slightly higher than the national average.
- While you can walk around downtown Salem, there are no mass transit options, so seniors who do not own a motor vehicle have to depend on others or scheduled transportation at an assisted living facility.
- The Salem area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Salem Regional Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies of illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Salem
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Ohio
Assisted Living costs in Salem start around $3,495 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Salem and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Salem
The Ohio Medicaid program does not cover room and board for seniors that reside within assisted living communities, but seniors can apply for an Assisted Living Waiver that pay for certain covered services to offset the total costs of assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Salem
Salem and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Salem, please visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Salem
Salem-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Ohio are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Ohio page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Salem
Review of Brookdale Salem
Brookdale keeps us informed very well. They let us know immediately if something is happening with my mom. So in saying that I would like to be more informed on how the employee family of Brookdale... Read more
Review of Brookdale Salem
I don't have even 1 complaint about Brookdale or the staff. We choose the one bedroom with a small living room and studio size kitchen. Mom was able to bring some of her own furniture and lamps,cur... Read more
Review of Brookdale Salem
Brookdale Salem is really nice. There are three different levels of rooms that you can get. Some have two people to a room, which is still completely private because there is one room on the side a... Read more