5 Assisted Living Facilities near Smithfield, NC
Also serving communities of Four Oaks.
There are 5 Assisted Living Facilities in the Smithfield area, with 3 in Smithfield and 2 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Smithfield is $4,647 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 34 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Smithfield. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Smithfield 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Raleigh with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Smithfield, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Smithfield, NC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Smithfield
Situated along the Neuse River, Smithfield, N.C., has nearly 2,300 seniors, equal to roughly 20.8 percent of the population. With a fifth of the city's residents over the age of 65, the Smithfield area is home to 13 assisted living facilities, with three directly within the city limits.
In Smithfield and rest of North Carolina, assisted living facilities are referred to as adult care homes (ACHs) and are monitored by the North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation. ACHs are defined as residencies in which 24-hour personal care services are provided to two or more residents.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Smithfield
- The average cost of living in Smithfield is approximately 11 percent lower than the U.S. average cost of living and 6 percent cheaper than North Carolina's average cost of living. Seniors who are seeking to live in North Carolina but want a less expensive area might consider Smithfield.
- Smithfield has one of the highest crime rates in the nation. Seniors have a 1 in 17 chance of becoming a victim of either violent or property crime in Smithfield. Because of this, seniors should be aware that living in this area could place them in unsafe situations.
- The Smithfield area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Johnston Health, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Smithfield has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Smithfield Senior Dining Center, an organization that provides nutritional counseling, field trips, bingo and fitness activities.
- With average temperatures ranging between 42 and 79 degrees, Smithfield is an excellent option for seniors looking for a climate without excessively hot summers or harsh winters. Smithfield averages around 47 inches of rain per year, somewhat higher than the national average of 39 inches of rain per year.
- The air quality index in Smithfield is approximately equal to the national average. Air quality is determined by the Environmental Protection Agency and is a measure of the number of harmful pollutants in the air. Because air quality in Smithfield is equal to the national average, seniors can determine whether or not to live in this area based on other factors.
Paying for Assisted Living in Smithfield
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Smithfield start around $4,547 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Smithfield and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Smithfield
The State/County Special Assistance Program (For Adult Care Home Residents) provides eligible seniors throughout the state of North Carolina financial aid for assisted living costs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Smithfield
Smithfield and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Smithfield, please visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Smithfield
Smithfield-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Smithfield
Review of Meadowview Assisted Living
I like Meadowview Assisted Living, but it's too far from my sons for me. The staff was very nice and showed me around. The apartment that I saw there was very nice and neat. It could have been a li... Read more
Review of Brookdale Smithfield
Brookdale Smithfield was clean. They did some painting, put in a new carpet, and the staff was really nice. The neighborhood wasn't the greatest, but there were a lot of trees and bushes up around,... Read more
Review of Meadowview Assisted Living
I didn't really like Meadowview Assisted Living. It wasn't as clean. I just didn't care for the place. The rooms were OK. The staff was friendly, but didn't seem as knowledgeable. They didn't have ... Read more