Brookdale Smithfield Smithfield, NC

Brookdale Smithfield (800) 385-2527

Reviews of Brookdale Smithfield

Assisted Living Reviews for Brookdale Smithfield

October 07, 2014

My mother in law is in The Carolina House. She likes it there and she said the people are friendly and the food is good. She knows good food because she is an excellent cook. The rooms are a little small, but that’s all she needs. She shares a suite with someone. They each have a little bedroom and they have a little kitchenette with a microwave and a sink. The bathroom is fairly large and wheel chair accessible. I visit all the time because it’s just ten minutes from me. We got a little mixed up on the laundry, but it was straightened out. They need to have more visible staff but so far, everything is good.

July 29, 2014

Carolina House of Smithfield was our first choice, but they didn?t have any available at the time we went there. The rooms were great and the dining area was good. Everything I saw was fine.

December 23, 2013

I'm familiar with Carolina House. My in-laws lived there for quite a while until they passed away. We visited them often while they were there. My mother-in-law had Alzheimer's and my father-in-law had macular degeneration. The building itself was small but it was clean. I think the people there were very good and they have an activities director in their staff. Their dining room was just suitable and it was for the people that were there. It was, however, limited on the number of people it can sit and you probably have to have a waiting list there. It was clean however. I've eaten there and I enjoyed it. The food was good. However, this facility would not be my choice because it was small. It was also pretty compact and crowded. Also I have a younger wife and the two of us were looking for a situation that we could both enjoy. This one was just a typical small-town community.

September 24, 2013

By Darlene14

I liked Carolina House because it looked clean and neat in appearance. It looked like a safe environment. The staff was accommodating.

September 23, 2013

By Gwyn1

I liked Carolina House. The personnel and the director were very friendly. They had activities like crafts, barbeques and cookouts. They had people come in and help them out. The rooms were spacious, but in the two bedrooms units, the bedrooms were small but they had a kitchen area.

April 23, 2013

By Lucille

Carolina House of Smithfield was very nice, clean, and had a heartwarming environment. They had what I wanted in a facility like that. They had good members in staff that gave me a tour of the place and explained each facility to me. They were really hospitable.

October 02, 2012

By Atrod07

My cousin lived there and she loved it to start with . She had her own private room. She didn't have to share it with a another resident. The only thing she didn't like was having to share her bathroom. The meals provided were very planned out and customized to fit the residents health. Overtime I became familiar with the staff and they were very warm and treated the residents as if they were family. If the residents requested that there linens be washed. There linens were washed and returned the same day. It always felt as if i was walking into a home instead of an assisted living facility. Her stay has been great and was very pleased.

August 27, 2012

By chloejo

My aunt was at this facility for over 12 years. She passed away in May. At the beginning, I was very impressed with the facility and it's employees. They knew each person's name, after a few visits, knew who I was visiting and my name/relationship with my aunt. They were attentive to the patients, spoke to them appropriately, and seemed to genuinely care. Then for a year or two there seemed to be quite a turnover in staff and changes made to the facility. The staff weren't as friendly with me or the patients. They weren't rude though. They got to know me fairly quickly because I would take my dogs twice a week to visit the assisted living side and the "lock down"/Alzheimer's side- where my aunt resided. There was still one CNA, whose name I've forgotten, but she's still there and was always delighted to see us. She was cheerful, upbeat, and involved with the patients. The amenities were nice and appropriate. They had activities such as painting, bingo, sing alongs, arts/crafts, yoga, etc. They also had a closed in patio with benches, swings, and bird feeders. The meals were outstanding, well balanced and a nice variety. You could stay for dinner if you called ahead and many times they'd offer a meal while I was there even if I hadn't called ahead. It was kept up nicely and rarely smelled antiseptic-like in hospitals and other places I went. Overall, I really enjoyed that facility compared to all the others I had taken the dogs to for therapy/visitation. However, with the changes I mentioned before, one was that I could be given the four digit code to enter/exit the lock down area so I wouldn't have to bother a nurse or assistant to let me out when I was ready to go but they changed that policy. There were times when they've got their hands full with bathing, medicating, etc. that I felt I was inconveniencing them by having them let me out, or I'd have to wait so long for someone to be available that I'd be late getting where I'd need to go. The other change was that you were to ring a bell before entering even the assisted living side (which you had to go through to get to the Alzheimer's side)to be let in. Before, you could just walk in, sign in, and go visit. You also had to have someone let you out. There was rarely anyone around to help with this and it was time consuming and no well manned. Residents ended up going around the desk to push the button to release the door! I didn't like these new additions, but I'm sure they were put in place for some sort of safety reason.

July 24, 2012

Carolina House is a very nice facility, with a very beautiful "Grecian" look to it. The staff, they have a service plan for each patient or resident in the facility. My sister's room is not that small but it's homey and very accessible. It doesn't have cable TV included, but the closets are big and spacious enough for her things. It's also good that the apartment is cleaned everyday. I would say that the food is great, as I have received no complaints from my sister so far. Staff is well organized, and very caring to each resident. They seem very dedicated to their work. Yes, my sister is happy living in that facility.

Memory Care Reviews for Brookdale Smithfield

Questions about Brookdale Smithfield

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Monthly scheduled learning modules, monthly dementia specific training provided by our resident program coordinator, monthly dementia specific training provided by outside sources.

Describe the overall population of assisted living residents at Brookdale Smithfield. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

The overall population age here ranges from very independent to individuals on hospice. Our average age is about mid 80s. Our activities program is amazing and some of our residents favorite things are bingo, church service, Bfit, shopping and going to nearby restaurants!

What programs or activities does Brookdale Smithfield offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We offer an array of activities here, ranging from one on one to large groups. We do outings in the community , we have men’s and veterans’ specific groups here and tailor our activities to the wants and needs of our population.

What places are near Brookdale Smithfield or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

The hospital is very close to us as well as most of the medical offices within Smithfield. We have a shopping mall and a multitude of restaurants within a short drive.

What transportation services does Brookdale Smithfield offer to assisted living residents?

Our transportation services includes visits to doctor’s appointments as well as activities out in the community.

What makes the chef or dining program at Brookdale Smithfield exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our chef has years of experience and offers three, well balanced meals here as well as snacks throughout the day. Residents enjoy options at mealtimes and meals that are served with respect for their preferences and that meet any specific dietary needs.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Smithfield offer to assisted living residents?

Our community has a qualified clinical team that includes a RN, LPN, certified Med Aides and certified nurses’ assistants. Together, the team ensures your loved one’s care is met in all dimensions. We have a pendant response system in our community as well, which ensures a quick response to any call from a resident. From handrails on the halls to handicap accessible bathrooms, our building is designed with seniors in mind.

How does Brookdale Smithfield keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

Brookdale Smithfield will notify you of any changes in your loved one, whether it be a vital sign or a medication change. Our community also has a family connections program and ambassadors. We have a call program where that manager will reach out to the responsible party to see if there are any compliments or concerns.

What is the care staff-to-resident ratio at Brookdale Smithfield during daytime and nighttime hours?

The community meets state safety standards for assisted living resident to care staff ratios to ensure our residents get the best care.

If Brookdale Smithfield accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We are a pet friendly community and have a mix of cat and dog family members that live with us! Our community is large and we have a courtyard for your doggie’s delight! This area is well manicured and the residents enjoy, whether they are pet owners or not.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our care staff receives continuous training every month to keep them up to date. They cover topics such as dementia, proper approach, medication management and infection control.

What safety features or security measures does Brookdale Smithfield provide to protect residents who wander?

Our associates go through a rigorous screening and training schedule before starting in our community. We start with the hiring process by making sure we select the best of the best- CNAs, Serve-Safe certified kitchen associates, and more. Every associate goes through a background check and drug screen prior to starting. Brookdale has an intense and comprehensive training period and then an on the job shadowing period before the associate is “ready to go”. Thereafter, there are monthly clinical and safety trainings that are ongoing and keep us in compliance with NC and OSHA regulations. Brookdale also believes in continuing to learn and grow; our nurses will often do an “instant in-service” when they find a teachable moment with an associate or our team. This helps to keep us as the best and #1 senior living company in the United States.

What programs or activities does Brookdale Smithfield offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We engage our residents in music, art, exercise classes and much more..

Our nurse assesses as their resident's needs change.

What techniques does Brookdale Smithfield use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

It is a quiet environment in which our associates sit next to the residents and engage to provide cues and prompts.

How does Brookdale Smithfield keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Describe the neighborhood around Brookdale Smithfield. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

The community is located in a neighborhood setting, close to downtown Smithfield with just a short walk to the hospital and medical offices

Is Brookdale Smithfield affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

No, however, we are less than 5 minutes from the local hospital

Photos of Brookdale Smithfield

Services and Amenities of Brookdale Smithfield

• Low Fat
  • Low Salt

• Pets: Yes

• State Licenses: HAL-051-024

About Brookdale Smithfield

Brookdale Smithfield provides our residents with lifestyles, housing, and services in comfortable surroundings combined with exceptional amenities, programs, and care. Through Brookdale's signature Personalized Assisted Living we customize our care offerings for the individual. This allows each assisted living and Alzheimer's care resident the freedom and opportunity to make choices that will ease their lifestyle transitions. Residents enjoy life with the support they need, coupled with the proper lifestyle and care accommodations as their needs change.

Map of Brookdale Smithfield