26 Assisted Living Facilities near Troy, NY
Also serving communities of Cohoes, Waterford.
There are 26 Assisted Living Facilities in the Troy area, with 4 in Troy and 22 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 187 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Troy. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Troy 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Latham with an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Troy, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Troy, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Troy
Nicknamed "The Collar City," Troy boasts a population of around 50,000. Including surrounding communities such as Latham, Albany, Cohoes and East Greenbush, the city is home to 45 assisted living facilities (ALFs). The New York Department of Health provides licensing and regulation for these facilities, as well for adult homes and enriched housing programs that provide a slightly lower level of care compared than ALFs.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Troy
- Overall for weather and climate, Troy receives a Sperling Comfort Index of 35 out of 100, largely due to the challenging winters, which might be difficult for seniors. Snowfall is significant at 43 inches per year, and temperatures dip as low as 15 degrees and peak around 82.
- Based on the EPA’s National Air Toxics Assessment, the air quality average for the nation is 58 out of 100. Troy’s air quality is a little better at 62. The risk of developing a respiratory disease in Troy is higher than it is in the entire Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro, but it’s lower than the risk for the state, which is good for seniors with respiratory issues.
- The cost of living in Troy is 94.7, compared to the national average of 100. While transportation and groceries are more expensive, residents save overall due to significantly lower housing costs, helping seniors stretch their budget.
- The violent crime rate ranks at 66.6 compared to the national average of 31.1, while property crime ranks at 58.8 compared to the national average of 38.1. The area isn’t as safe as other locations seniors might select for an ALF.
- Troy has numerous cultural venues and entertainment options for seniors. For example, residents can enjoy the Powers Park Concert Series, Victorian Stroll, New York State Theater Institute, The Arts Center or Troy Waterfront Farmers’ Market. There’s also an ice arena and golf course.
- Troy is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Mary’s Hospital and Samaritan Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Troy
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Troy start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Troy and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Troy
With 1 out of 4 individuals in Troy living below the federal poverty line, and with about 10 percent of those aged 65+ in poverty, seniors might want to take advantage of programs that can help pay for ALF services. New York provides Medicaid personal care services, as well as the Assisted Living Program (a Medicaid State Plan service), the Long-Term Home Health Program 1915(c) Waiver program and an optional state supplement (OSS) to SSI recipients.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Troy
Troy and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Troy, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Troy
Troy-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Troy, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Troy
Review of The Eliot at Troy
Kristina T. and the rest of the staff there make for a very comfortable living environment! I have only heard and seen nothing but great things! Way to go keep up the good job guys!!! Awesome job! Read more
Review of The Pines at Heartwood
Very agrivated they can't even keep track of my mothers needs...simple things like keeping batteries in her hearing aids and that she has them in her ear. 3000 a month for nothing more than three h... Read more
Review of The Pines at Heartwood
The Pines at Heartwood was good. The rooms were a very good size; they're actually the largest rooms that I saw. There weren't private rooms, which is fine because they were a good size and well eq... Read more