11 Assisted Living Facilities near Delmar, NY
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Delmar area, with 2 in Delmar and 9 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Delmar is $3,040 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include East Greenbush with an average starting cost of $3,000.
To help you with your search, browse the 83 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Delmar. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Delmar 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Slingerlands with an average rating of 4.2 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Delmar, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Delmar, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Delmar
Delmar is a hamlet within the town of Bethlehem, New York and part of Albany County. Seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors may enjoy walking through the local parks and the nearby Adirondack, Catskill and Berkshire mountains trails. Bethlehem's population is 35,093, 17.2% of whom are seniors aged 65 and older—some of whom reside in the hamlet of Delmar. To house these seniors, Delmar has two assisted living communities, with nine more nearby.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Delmar
- Income derived from Social Security benefits is not taxed by the state of New York, helpful to Delmar seniors on a budget. In addition, withdrawals from retirement accounts up to $20,000 per year are also state tax exempt.
- Seniors in Delmar enjoy all four seasons, although winters are cold with lots of snow. Those with health conditions affected by colder temperatures may be uncomfortable here. Summers are warm, with July high temperatures reaching into the mid-80s, which may be comfortable for seniors sensitive to high heat.
- The Delmar area is home to world-class medical facilities, including St. Peter's Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The cost of living in Delmar is slightly higher than the national average at 116 compared to the baseline of 100. While healthcare and grocery costs are slightly lower than the national average, at 91.3 and 95, respectively, housing costs are higher than the average at 144.8. This may cause assisted living facilities to have higher operating costs, and consequently charge higher fees.
- Delmar has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Bethlehem Senior Services Department, an organization that provides information and referrals for seniors as well as the Bethlehem Senior Center.
- Delmar, as part of Albany County, is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Delmar
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Delmar start around $3,340 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Delmar and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Delmar
The state of New York offers Delmar residents an Assisted Living Program (ALP) that helps offset facility costs. This is a Community First Choice State Plan Option (CFCO), which works like a Medicaid waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Delmar
Delmar and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Delmar, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Delmar
Delmar-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Delmar
Review of Atria Delmar Place
My father was at Atria Delmar Place. The staff was incredibly attentive. Everybody knew him by his first name. There was never anybody that didn't seem to know him. They just seemed to really care ... Read more
Review of Atria Delmar Place
Atria Delmar Place is a very nice place. It's in a country setting. My father's room is small. The staff and services are good. The food is very good, they have a chef, and it's served restaurant s... Read more
Review of Atria Delmar Place
My mother is doing fine in the assisted living of Atria Delmar Place. Her room is not spacious, but it's clean. Most of the staff members are very caring, and have activities for her to do like bin... Read more