22 Assisted Living Facilities near South Setauket, NY
Also serving communities of East Setauket.
There are 22 Assisted Living Facilities in the South Setauket area, with 2 in South Setauket and 20 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in South Setauket is $2,795 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 175 reviews below for assisted living facilities in South Setauket. On average, consumers rate assisted living in South Setauket 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Nesconset with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 6 families in South Setauket find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in South Setauket, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in South Setauket, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in South Setauket
Located on the north shore of Long Island, seniors in the South Setauket area have access to serene waterfronts and quaint beaches along Setauket Harbor, Little Bay and the Long Island Sound. When in the mood for larger crowds, an array of restaurants, small-town shops and ferry watching, Port Jefferson is less than 4 miles away.
South Setauket is home to more than 2,600 seniors aged 65 or older, and to help provide care for the aging population, two assisted living facilities are within the city. In New York, assisted living facilities are divided into three categories: adults homes, enriched housing programs and assisted living residences. All three are regulated and licensed by the New York Department of Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in South Setauket
- Suffolk County is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Taxes can be an issue in the state of New York, with the area having a high property and sales tax rate. However, Social Security retirement is tax exempt, and residents can deduct up to $20,000 in income from private pensions and other retirement income.
- Suffolk County receives an A grade for particle pollution from the American Lung Association, but the area gets a failing grade when it comes to ozone levels. This could make it less comfortable for those living with breathing conditions.
- The South Setauket area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Stony Brook Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- The overall cost of living in South Setauket is 49 percent higher than the U.S. average and 30 percent higher than the New York average. Much of this is because of the cost of housing, which may not be a concern for seniors in assisted living, but healthcare also runs around 14 percent higher than the national average.
- Seniors can rest easy knowing that South Setauket is considered a very safe area. Property crime rates are almost 76 percent lower than the U.S. average, and violent crime rates run around 65 percent less than the national mean.
Note: Data on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in South Setauket
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in South Setauket start around $2,795 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in South Setauket and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in South Setauket
Seniors living in South Setauket have access to state programs to help cover some of the cost of assisted living. The New York Assisted Living Program is available to both Medicaid and non-Medicaid seniors, and there is also the Medicaid Managed Long-Term Care program. However, seniors cannot receive benefits from both at the same time.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in South Setauket
South Setauket and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in South Setauket, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in South Setauket
South Setauket-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Assisted Living near South Setauket, NY
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in South Setauket
Review of Atria South Setauket
My visit to Atria South Setauket was very good; the salesperson was also very nice. We had a very lovely tour. The thing that we realized we would not like about it was the dining room was undergro... Read more
Review of Atria South Setauket
We saw the assisted living and the independent living of Atria South Setauket. In the independent they could have a girl come in and help you even for 20 minutes or half an hour. Assisted living is... Read more
Review of Atria South Setauket
I was able to go to Atria South Setauket. It seemed very nice, but I chose a smaller place for my aunt. I saw both the assisted and independent living and they were very nice. I only saw the admiss... Read more