6 Assisted Living Facilities near Smiths Creek, MI
Also serving communities of East China.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Smiths Creek area, with 3 in Smiths Creek and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Smiths Creek is $3,166 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,420.
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Smiths Creek. Better rated regions include Port Huron with an average rating of 3.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Smiths Creek, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Smiths Creek, MI
3 Assisted Living Facilities near Smiths Creek, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Smiths Creek
Seniors in Smiths Creek, located in Saint Clair County, Michigan, can stroll along the nearby Blue Water River Walk to take in the water views and restoration efforts. Of the town's 9,148 people, 18% are at least 65 years old, and those in this age group seeking help with the tasks of daily living can find assistance at one of the three assisted living facilities within Smiths Creek or one of the three other facilities located in nearby communities.
In Smiths Creek and the rest of the state, assisted living facilities are referred to as homes for the aged and regulated by the Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Smiths Creek
- Smiths Creek has a violent crime rate of 20.7 and a property crime rate of 24.7 compared to the U.S. averages of 22.7 and 35.4, respectively. These lower crime rates might help seniors feel more confident when attending appointments in town. However, seniors may wish to ask about security measures while touring facilities for further peace of mind.
- Smiths Creek seniors and those throughout Michigan receive senior-friendly tax exemptions. Michigan exempts Social Security income and withdrawals from IRAs from taxes, whereas 401(k)s and pensions are partially taxed.
- With an annual temperature range of 16-80 degrees, Smiths Creek offers moderate summers and cold winters that may be a challenge to seniors sensitive to the cold. The town receives 27 inches of snow, 9 inches more than the national median, which may be tough for walker-bound seniors to navigate. There are 177 sunny days here, compared to the U.S. average of 205.
- The Smiths Creek area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Port Huron.
- With one of the highest air quality scores in the nation, Smiths Creek rates an 83, compared to the national baseline of 58. This may be great news for seniors looking for better air quality as measured by the EPA's National Air Toxics Assessment.
- At 91.7, the cost of living in Smiths Creek is 5% lower than the state median and about 8% lower than the national average. This is driven by housing costs that are about 10% lower than state and 33% lower than national averages.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Smiths Creek
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Smiths Creek start around $3,166 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Smiths Creek and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Smiths Creek
Seniors in Michigan, including Smiths Creek, can apply for Michigan Choice Medicaid Waiver, which helps those who require a home for the aged.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Smiths Creek
Smiths Creek and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Smiths Creek, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Smiths Creek
Smiths Creek-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.