6 Assisted Living Facilities near Smiths Creek, MI
Also serving communities of East China.
There are 6 Assisted Living Facilities in the Smiths Creek area, with 3 in Smiths Creek and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Smiths Creek is $3,166 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 6 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Smiths Creek. Better rated regions include Port Huron with an average rating of 3.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Smiths Creek, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Smiths Creek, MI
3 Assisted Living Facilities near Smiths Creek, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Smiths Creek
Located in St. Clair County, Smiths Creek, Michigan, has many avid boaters and is home to the Annual Port Huron-to-Mackinac Sailboat Race, the largest freshwater sailing event in the world. Smiths Creek is part of Kimball Township, which has a population of 9,358 people, 18% of whom are aged 65 or older.
To provide assistance with the activities of daily living to area seniors who need it, there are six assisted living facilities, with three in the town itself and three others in nearby communities. The Department of Human Services licenses and regulates homes for the aged, as assisted living facilities are called in all of Michigan including Smiths Creek.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Smiths Creek
- Based on a scale of 1 to 100 (highest), Smiths Creek has a violent crime rate of 20.7, lower than the U.S. average of 22.7, and a property crime rate of 24.7, which is lower than the national average of 35.4. The city's crime rates are also lower than the Michigan averages of 25.3 for violent crime and 28.1 for property crime. This might help seniors in assisted living facilities feel more secure when they go to town for appointments.
- The cost of living in Smiths Creek is 91.7, somewhat lower than Michigan's average of 96.7 and the national average of 100. Housing costs at 66 are very low on average, but the cost of transportation at 121.1 is quite high, which may put a dent in discretionary spending funds for seniors in assisted living.
- Each year, Smiths Creek gets an average of 34 inches of rain and 37 inches of snow, lower than the U.S. average of 38 inches of rain and higher than the U.S. average of 28 inches of snow. The temperature ranges between 16 and 80 degrees, which may be ideal for seniors who enjoy seasonal changes.
- Smiths Creek's air quality is 83, 25 points higher than the national average. This is based on the EPA's measures of hazardous air pollutants, referred to as the National Air Toxics Assessment. For seniors with COPD or other respiratory conditions, the city's high air quality may be appealing.
- Michigan is a tax-friendly state for retirees thanks to tax-exempt Social Security income. Withdrawals from IRAs, 401(k)s and pension income are partially taxed.
- The Smiths Creek area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Port Huron.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Smiths Creek
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Smiths Creek start around $3,166 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Smiths Creek and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Smiths Creek
In Smiths Creek and the rest of Michigan, the MI Choice Medicaid Waiver allows seniors who might otherwise require nursing home care to live at home, a home for the aged, or an adult foster care home.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Smiths Creek
Smiths Creek and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Smiths Creek, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Smiths Creek
Smiths Creek-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.