7 Assisted Living Facilities near Fort Gratiot, MI
Also serving communities of North Street.
There are 7 Assisted Living Facilities in the Fort Gratiot area, with 2 in Fort Gratiot and 5 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Fort Gratiot is $1,225 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,395.
To help you with your search, browse the 12 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Fort Gratiot. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Fort Gratiot 4.7 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Lexington with an average rating of 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Fort Gratiot, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Fort Gratiot, MI
5 Assisted Living Facilities near Fort Gratiot, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Fort Gratiot
Small, quiet Fort Gratiot is a lakeside community in the Flint/ Tri-Cities region of Michigan. Miles of beaches and a community focused on developing the township from a farming community to a small suburb have made Fort Gratiot a thriving town. The population is just over 11,000, with 21.4 of whom are seniors over 65. There are eight assisted living facilities to serve the population's needs. The State of Michigan does not license assisted living facilities. Instead, the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs issues licenses for facilities that provide a certain level of care or are considered a Home for the Aged or Adult Foster Care Home.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Fort Gratiot
- Fort Gratiot weather includes long winters and mild summers. January lows average 17 degrees, while high temperatures in July are about 80. Seniors who are sensitive to cold may be uncomfortable in the winter.
- The cost of living in Fort Gratiot is 96.4, compared against the national average of 100. Grocery costs and health care are both slightly below the national average. Housing costs are a little more than 20 percent cheaper, which may positively affect seniors in assisted living.
- Violent crime rates in Fort Gratiot are slightly higher than the national average, while property crimes are about on par with the average in the U.S. Seniors are advised to take precautions with their persons and secure their belongings.
- The Blue Water Area Transit provides bus lines in Fort Gratiot and Port Huron, as well as between the two communities. Seniors and those considered "handicapped" are eligible for reduced fares.
- Fort Gratiot Township has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Port Huron Senior Center, an organization that offers educational and enrichment classes, group activities, and seminars to educate seniors about health care and their legal options.
- The Fort Gratiot area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the Lake Huron Medical Center and McLaren Port Huron Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Fort Gratiot
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Fort Gratiot start around $1,225 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Fort Gratiot and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Fort Gratiot
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services offers an MI Choice Waiver Program, designed to help offset the costs of assisted living and nursing home care. Seniors and those with a qualifying disability may be eligible to receive Medicaid-covered services like those provided by nursing homes but have a wider option of facilities to choose from. They may stay in their own home or another residential setting such as assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Fort Gratiot
Fort Gratiot and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Fort Gratiot, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Fort Gratiot
Fort Gratiot-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Fort Gratiot
Review of Lake Huron Woods
My friend is at Lake Huron Woods and loves it. They are all extremely friendly and helpful with her. They went out of their way to help us and get things straightened out. She has made friends, is ... Read more
Review of Lake Huron Woods
Lake Hurron Woods was great, clean, and beautifully decorated. The staff was wonderful. There was so much to do. The apartments' bathrooms and showers were handicapped accessible. It was perfect. T... Read more
Review of Lake Huron Woods
Lake Huron Woods was very nice and clean. We had lunch there, and the food was good. The staff was fine. There was a little library, and a lot of different activities were going on like bingo and s... Read more