10 Assisted Living Facilities near Port Huron, MI
There are 10 Assisted Living Facilities in the Port Huron area, with 4 in Port Huron and 6 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 19 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Port Huron. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Port Huron 3.0 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Fort Gratiot with an average rating of 4.7 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Port Huron, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Port Huron, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Port Huron
Located on Lake Huron and the St. Claire River, the city of Port Huron has many attractions one would expect of a port town. Seniors can stroll by the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse, by marinas, on boardwalks, on sandy beaches, and visit world-class museums exhibiting maritime artifacts.
There are 14 assisted living facilities located in and around Port Huron, Michigan from which seniors can choose. All are regulated by the Michigan Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing, a division of the Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Port Huron
- Located in eastern Michigan along the St. Clair River, Port Huron is known for its mild summers and cold, snowy winters. The average high temperature is 30 degrees Fahrenheit in January and 81 degrees Fahrenheit in July.
- Port Huron has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Council on Aging, an organization that provides meals, wellness classes and discounted transportation to St. Clair residents, as well as a senior center.
- Crime is a serious problem in Port Huron, as it is in many other parts of Michigan. The overall crime rate in Port Huron is 24 percent higher than the national average, which makes Port Huron safer than just 8 percent of the cities in the United States.
- The Port Huron, Michigan, area is home to world-class medical facilities including McLaren Port Huron Hospital and Lake Huron Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Blue Water Area Transit Company provides regular scheduled public bus transportation throughout Port Huron six days a week. Seniors pay half price. In addition, the St. Clair Council on Aging provides on-demand transportation (with advance notice) for seniors with mobility issues or economic crises.
- There are many fun and interesting things to do in and around Port Huron, including visits to the Thomas Edison Depot Museum, the Fort Gratiot Lighthouse and the Port Huron Museum. Most Port Huron events and attractions offer a senior discount, although the qualifying age varies.
Paying for Assisted Living in Port Huron
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Port Huron start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Port Huron and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Port Huron
Port Huron, Michigan, seniors who meet the eligibility requirements will find a number of state and federal government programs that offer financial assistance to help with the cost of an assisted living facility. These include the Medicaid State Plan, MI Choice Waiver Program and Supplemental Security Income Category G.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Port Huron
Port Huron and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Port Huron, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Port Huron
Port Huron-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Port Huron
Review of North Port Village
I'm a resident of North Port Village. The apartments are lovely and very roomy, and we have a balcony that goes from the living room all the way down through the bedroom. However, the staff is over... Read more
Review of North Port Village
My mother is in North Port. It is a 15-story building in an old complex. All of the units are old and pretty small at about 600 square feet. There are lots of activities posted around the complex. ... Read more
Review of North Port Village
I visited this facility on two occasions to help a friend of my grandparents move out. This friend, named Dorthy, expressed that she was moving away because she was not happy with the way the facil... Read more