4 Assisted Living Facilities near Clare, MI
Also serving communities of Coleman.
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Clare area, with 2 in Clare and 2 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 7 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Clare. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Clare 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Mount Pleasant with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Clare, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Clare, MI
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Clare
Clare is near the heart of Michigan's historic Amish country, which holds pride of place as the 6th-largest community of its kind in America. Though the town itself is very small, more than 31,000 people live in Clare County. Over 24% of Clare's population is made up of seniors aged 65 and over, with five assisted living facilities in the surrounding county for them to choose. Residents in these communities get help from staff with personal care and meal preparation.
Clare County's assisted living facilities are regulated by the Department of Human Services, though many adult care facilities don't require licensing.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Clare
- The weather in Clare consists of mild summer days, when the daytime average temperature is 82, and cold winter nights when lows can average 14. Clare gets 32 inches of rain each year, which potentially creates mold and pollen issues for seniors in town who have asthma or COPD.
- The cost of living in Clare is generally lower than the national average for most expenses. For all common personal costs combined, Clare is 15% less expensive than the national average, while seniors in Clare spend about 9% less for healthcare than seniors do nationwide.
- Crime rates in Clare are close to the national rates overall, with the combined rate of crime just about 10% lower than the national average. Property crimes and theft make up most of the local crime rate, while seniors are safer from violent crime in Clare than the average risk nationwide.
- Seniors in Clare can ride in and around town on the ADA-compliant buses of the Clare Clare County Transit Corporation (CCTC). CCTC offers discount fares to seniors and riders with limited mobility, though this discount requires downloading and filling out an application, which may then be signed by a doctor, to get a transit ID.
- The Clare area is home to world-class medical facilities, including MidMichigan Medical Center - Clare, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Clare has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Clare County Senior Services Department, an organization that arranges respite care, in-home assistance, nutritional support and caregiver education, as well as more than three senior centers.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Clare
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Michigan
Assisted Living costs in Clare start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Clare and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Clare
Seniors in Clare can get help paying the monthly cost of assisted living by signing up for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). In Michigan, seniors get an additional stipend from the state with SSI, as well as automatic qualification for Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Clare
Clare and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Clare, please visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Clare
Clare-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Michigan are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Michigan page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Clare
Review of Pioneer Golden Estates
My mother has dementia, so we picked Pioneer Golden Estates for her because you can go into assisted living and then they have a memory care unit. They seem to be very well-staffed and there's obvi... Read more
Review of The Horizon Senior Living
The Horizon Senior Living is nice but outdated, has been there a long time, and a little dreary. It was also more money. The staff was very nice. Read more
Review of Pioneer Golden Estates
Pioneer Golden Estates was probably the best place I looked at. The people who gave us the tour were absolutely fabulous. The rooms were very nice, clean, and roomy. The public areas were fantastic... Read more