40 Assisted Living Facilities near Stoneham, MA
Also serving communities of Melrose, Wakefield.
There are 40 Assisted Living Facilities in the Stoneham area, with 2 in Stoneham and 38 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 214 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Stoneham. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Stoneham 4.4 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Winchester with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Stoneham, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Stoneham, MA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Stoneham
Stoneham is a small town just nine miles north of Boston. A quaint downtown, family atmosphere and close proximity to the state capital make the city ideal for seniors who want to retire. To accommodate these seniors, there are 39 assisted living facilities in the area. Also referred to as assisted living residences (ALRs), these communities provide a safe and caring environment for those who need help with daily living tasks.
ALRs are regulated by the Executive Office of Elderly Affairs (EOEA). The city and the state of Massachusetts also offer adult foster care (AFC), which is for seniors and those with disabilities who want to live in a family setting rather than in a nursing home or other community facility.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Stoneham
- The cost of living index in Stoneham is 163, which is considerably higher than the national average of 100. Seniors on a budget who are paying for assisted living in the city may find it difficult to save money or pay for additional accessories.
- The city of Stoneham has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital in Winchester.
- Seniors can feel safe while living in Stoneham due to a low crime rate. Based on a scale from one (low) to high (100), property crime is ranked 19.4, and violent crime is ranked 11.4, which are compared to the national averages of 35.4 and 22.7 respectively.
- Winters are long and cold in Stoneham with average January lows around 17 degrees. Summers are hot and humid with average summer highs around 82 degrees. The city also gets around 51 inches of snow per year, which may be unsuitable for seniors who don’t enjoy the colder temperatures.
- The Stoneham Senior Center offers transportation services on select days and times for seniors who want to take part in activities. Scheduled rides may be requested for outings, medical appointments and grocery shopping.
- Stoneham has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Stoneham Council on Aging, which provides programs, services and activities for seniors in the area, as well as one senior center.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Stoneham
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Massachusetts
Assisted Living costs in Stoneham start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Stoneham and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Stoneham
Seniors who live in Stoneham may be able to get assistance with paying for an assisted living facility, assisted facility care and conventional elderly housing. Financial aid is provided by the Medicaid State Plan, which pays for personal care, nursing and oversight. Assisted living services may also be covered in the Money Follows the Person Residential Supports Waiver program. This program is available for individuals who are eligible for Medicaid and living in a nursing home or long-stay hospital for at least 90 days.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Stoneham
Stoneham and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Stoneham, please visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Stoneham
Stoneham-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Massachusetts are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Stoneham, MA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Stoneham
Review of Life Care Center of Stoneham
The service at Life Care Center of Stoneham Assisted Living is one of a kind. The staff here treat you like family. We are more than just residents we are one big family. The Meals are great and Ac... Read more
Review of The Arbors at Stoneham
The Arbors at Stoneham is a very nice place, and I'm very impressed with the people there. We made an appointment, we went there and saw the place, and toured the building. I was very impressed wit... Read more
Review of The Arbors at Stoneham
We are very happy with The Arbors at Stoneham for my grandmother. It's a beautiful building. Everyone seems very nice. From what I've seen, the food is pretty good. The dining is very clean and pre... Read more