7 Assisted Living Facilities near South Yarmouth, MA
There are 7 Assisted Living Facilities in the South Yarmouth area, with 1 in South Yarmouth and 6 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in South Yarmouth is $5,565 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,500. Cheaper nearby regions include Hyannis with an average starting cost of $4,395.
To help you with your search, browse the 31 reviews below for assisted living facilities in South Yarmouth. On average, consumers rate assisted living in South Yarmouth 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in South Yarmouth, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in South Yarmouth, MA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in South Yarmouth
South Yarmouth is one of three villages that make up the community of Yarmouth, Massachusetts, situated along the coast of Cape Cod. Around 32.4 percent of South Yarmouth's population of 11,000 are seniors aged 62 and older; Yarmouth itself has a population of 23,500, of whom 35.2 percent are over the age of 62. For those seeking assistance with daily living tasks, South Yarmouth is home to 11 assisted living facilities, one of which is in the village itself.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in South Yarmouth
Weather in South Yarmouth means cold, snowy winters and mild summers. The proximity to the Atlantic coast may mean storms from the ocean. July high temperatures average 78 degrees, while January lows dip down to an average of 23. Seniors who are sensitive to cold temperatures or have difficulty negotiating icy surfaces may not enjoy living here.
- The cost of living in South Yarmouth is 125.8 compared to a U.S. average of 100. Grocery costs and healthcare are fairly close to the national average of 100, at 105.7 and 83. Housing, however, raises the overall cost of living. At 170 compared to the national base of 100, the higher housing costs may affect assisted living prices.
- On a scale of 1 to 100, with 1 being the safest, violent crime rates in South Yarmouth are 41.6 compared to the U.S. average of 31.1. Property crimes are also higher, at 40.9 compared to the national average of 38.1. Seniors are advised to use caution and common sense when venturing out.
- South Yarmouth is serviced by the Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority, providing fixed route bus services in Yarmouth and around Cape Cod. Seniors over 60 and those with a qualifying disability are eligible for reduced fares.
- South Yarmouth is home to world-class medical facilities, including Cape Cod Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Massachusetts does not tax Social Security income, which may leave more money available for assisted living costs. There is a specific state tax exemption for those over 65, as well as several other exemptions for seniors and those with a qualifying disability.
Paying for Assisted Living in South Yarmouth
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Massachusetts
Assisted Living costs in South Yarmouth start around $5,565 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in South Yarmouth and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in South Yarmouth
The State of Massachusetts provides assistance for assisted living room and board through the State Supplement Program (SSP). This offers assisted living supplemental payments depending on the individual's living arrangements. It's called an SSI-G. SSI-G beneficiaries use the benefit to buy room and board in assisted living. The program is income-based and open to all who qualify.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in South Yarmouth
South Yarmouth and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in South Yarmouth, please visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in South Yarmouth
South Yarmouth-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Massachusetts are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Massachusetts page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in South Yarmouth
Review of Thirwood Place
My mother is at Thirwood Place. It's very well managed, clean, and well laid out. The staff has been very helpful, and they've been very protective during this period of COVID-19. Right now, all th... Read more
Review of Thirwood Place
My mother spent 4 wonderful years at Thirwood before she passed away. She got a new lease on life after she moved in. She was in a beautiful apartment with a second bedroom for visiting family. Sh... Read more
Review of Thirwood Place
This place is very expensive. We have found the food to be of very poor quality. The staff is nice. There is very limited handicapped parking as in almost none. The grounds are fair. The proximity ... Read more