11 Assisted Living Facilities near Springfield, IL
There are 11 Assisted Living Facilities in the Springfield area, with 8 in Springfield and 3 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Springfield is $3,000 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,635.
To help you with your search, browse the 41 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Springfield. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Springfield 4.5 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Chatham with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Springfield find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Springfield, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Springfield, IL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Springfield
The capital city of Illinois, Springfield is home to just under 115,000 people — 15 percent age 65 and over. Assisted living facilities in Illinois are known as "assisted living and shared housing establishments" and are regulated by the Illinois Department of Health. The Springfield area has 10 such facilities, with five in Springfield itself and another five in nearby cities such as Chatham and Decatur.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Springfield
July is the hottest month in Springfield, with an average high of 85 degrees and an average low of 63 degrees. January is the month with the most snow, with snow falling on an average of 5.4 days and a total of about 6.4 inches. Snow falls an average of 16.9 days during the entire year, for a total of about 20.9 inches.
- The overall cost of living in Springfield is 5 percent lower than the national average for the United States. The highest relative expenses are healthcare and transportation, which are respectively four and one percent above the national average. The lowest relative expenses are housing and utilities, which are respectively 20 and 11 percent below the national average.
- Springfield has a high crime rate, with only 4 percent of the cities in the United States having a higher crime rate. The annual rate of violent crime in Springfield is 11.5 per thousand people, compared to 4.36 for Illinois as a whole and 4.0 for the United States.
- The Sangamon Mass Transit District provides public transportation in Sangamon County, including Springfield. Seniors over the age of 65 and those with disabilities can ride any fixed-route bus for 60 cents, which is less than half the standard fare of $1.25. A reduced-fare ID requires proof of age or disability and a photo ID.
- The Springfield Ballet Company maintains a regular performance schedule in addition to special performances at senior centers and other community venues. The programs include a variety of dance styles such as contemporary and modern ballet. The Springfield Ballet Company also conducts educational programs, including residencies and workshops.
- The Springfield area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Memorial Medical Center, HSHS St. John’s Hospital and Vibra Hospital of Springfield, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Springfield
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Illinois
Assisted Living costs in Springfield start around $3,000 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Springfield and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Springfield
Illinois has nine waiver programs for community-based services, including assisted living. These programs are designed to meet a variety of specific needs.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Springfield
Springfield and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Springfield, please visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Springfield
Springfield-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Illinois are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Illinois page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Springfield, IL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Springfield
Review of Lewis Memorial Christian Village
They are awful my grandmother is in their care and they treat her really bad make her sit in urine for hours yell at her all the time if she needs to use the restroom and leave her there for hours ... Read more
Review of River Birch Living
My mother was in River Birch Living. It's a real nice home, fairly new, well-kept. Again with COVID, all their activities have been restricted. There was not a lot going on there whenever I was the... Read more
Review of Cedarhurst of Springfield IL
Cedarhurst of Springfield was gorgeous and had everything you needed. They took me into some of the resident's rooms, showed me the layout, and they did a great job. The rooms were very spacious, v... Read more