15 Assisted Living Facilities near Newtown, CT
There are 15 Assisted Living Facilities in the Newtown area, with 2 in Newtown and 13 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Newtown is $6,997 per month. This is higher than the national median of $3,425. Cheaper nearby regions include Southbury with an average starting cost of $4,142.
To help you with your search, browse the 135 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Newtown. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Newtown 4.1 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Southbury with an average rating of 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Newtown, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Newtown, CT
13 Assisted Living Facilities near Newtown, CT
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Newtown
Newtown is a small, scenic town located about an hour's drive from New York City. With around 15 percent of residents aged 65 or older, there are two assisted living communities in Newtown and over ten in nearby communities to help accommodate the senior population.
Assisted living facilities are a vital part of any community and provide local seniors with assistance for many of the tasks associated with day-to-day life. In Newtown, and all of Connecticut, these facilities are regulated by The Department of Public Health, Facility Licensing and Investigations Section.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Newtown
- The weather in Newtown is somewhat favorable for seniors who enjoy spending time outdoors. The average of 175 sunny days annually is slightly less than the nationwide national average of 205 sunny days. Newtown gets 51 inches of rain and 41 inches of snow yearly, which is also slightly higher than the U.S. averages of 39 and 26, respectively.
- In Newtown, the overall cost of living is higher than the state and national averages. On a scale with the U.S. median at 100, Newtown rates 146, while Connecticut is rated 118, and they are equal at 106 for healthcare. Families on a tight budget may want to find cheaper places to live in nearby communities.
- Crime rates in Newtown are considerably lower than the national averages. On a scale of one to 100, with one being the lowest rate, Newtown scores 13.0 for violent crime and 14.9 for property crime. Both of these scores are around 20 points lower than the U.S. averages.
- The Newtown area has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Danbury.
- Newton is a member of the AARP Network of Age-Friendly Communities, meaning that its elected leadership “has made the commitment to actively work toward making their town, city or county a great place for people of all ages,” according to AARP.
- Newton has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Newtown Senior Center, an organization that provides a focal point for seniors in the community and offers socially enriching activities in a friendly environment.
Paying for Assisted Living in Newtown
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Connecticut
Assisted Living costs in Newtown start around $6,997 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Newtown and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Newtown
Help paying for assisted living services is available through the Connecticut Home Care Program for Elders (CHCPE), the state's Medicaid program. This programs is unique in that it covers people who are eligible for Medicaid as well as those who are not.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Newtown
Newtown and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Newtown, please visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Newtown
Newtown-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Connecticut are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Connecticut page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Newtown
Review of Maplewood at Newtown
I am a resident here and have lived here for a while. I didn't think living away from my family I would find family but I have. I have great friends and a lot of fun every day. We always have weekl... Read more
Review of Maplewood at Newtown
Hard transition at first . I went from a 8 bedroom house in a rush due to my partner's health. I'm very happy here, everyone has been wondeful. Really great, friendly. I'm rediscovering things I li... Read more
Review of Maplewood at Newtown
My father was part of the Maplewood Newtown community for the 5 years prior to his passing in fall 2019. The nursing staff, led by Barbara and Irene, was incredibly supportive and helpful as we na... Read more