Maplewood at Newtown

Reviews of Maplewood at Newtown

Assisted Living Reviews for Maplewood at Newtown

November 29, 2019

By Sarah

My dad has moved into Maplewood at Newtown. It has been excellent. I like the place, the accommodations, and the staff members. When I have a question or concern, they address it immediately. Food is excellent. Yesterday they have a Thanksgiving dinner that families could attend and I said to the girl, 'Oh my gosh! This is like a fancy restaurant!' But I see the common meals on a daily basis over there too, and certainly it isn't cafeteria food. She said, 'No, this is all high-level food.' My dad is getting adjusted and it is a slow process, but I know the activities are there. The price is higher rate but you get what you pay for.

April 15, 2019

By GloriaTesta

Five years ago, I moved to Maplewood at Newtoen after my husband, Sal, was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and dementia. I knew I was going to need help caring for him and my girls had lives of their own. But they helped me find Maplewood at Newtown and I’m glad they did.

March 13, 2019

By Wernerdomroes

I like everything here. I have freedom here. I have choices. I am treated like an adult and able to live like one. They have been able to make arrange to with me specific to my lifestyle.

March 13, 2019

By Brendanoconnell

People here are very nice, very respectful. Food can be very tasty. Everyone here overall is wonderful and sweet, even some of the residents.

July 18, 2017

By lovingdaughter008

I recently came to visit my family member and we stayed to have lunch. The facility itself was very clean and beautiful but the food was lacking. The meal which was chicken Madeira was tasty, but the sauce was thin and cold by the time we got our food. The only good thing was the servers who waited on my family were pleasant, knowledgeable about my mothers' food requirements and friendly. They were two young college girls who seemed to really know there way around the food industry. If I go back and stay for a meal with my family I'll be sure to ask for Jessica and Anne. They really made my dining experience enjoyable, even if the meal was only satisfactory.

March 13, 2017

By disappointed in CT

The aides and staff that work directly with the patients are very caring and they all call the residents by name. This includes the dining room staff, the front desk staff and maintenance. However, ALL staff appears to be very overworked and its not uncommon to hear staff openly talking about this as you walk through hallways, etc. The issue with this place is the management - they are uncaring and do not have their act together. There are no processes in place for billing, quality control and communication. They don't update families when health issues come up, they don't live up to commitments (such as room cleaning, billing on time, medication management) and they don't have clear communication plans in place. Some key staff here are very unapproachable and take no ownership or accountability. Marketing is great, but don't expect to get all the bells and whistles, and by all means, get everything in writing and I mean everything.

November 19, 2016

By Anne330530

Maplewood at Newtown's food is average, and I wouldn't say it's spectacular. They have their big meal at lunch and a lesser meal at dinner. What I really love is they do a cocktail hour with a glass of wine or a bottle of beer at 4:00, and my parents really enjoyed it. They have a Happy Hour, and for my parents, that's really nice for socialization. They get phenomenal care from the support staff. The biggest downfall of the place is they don't have a 24/7 bus to take the adults around. They only take them out 2 or 3 days a week if you don’t drive; that's the biggest deterrent to me. One of the other positives is my mother has dementia, and my father does not; it's a great place for a couple that has that situation. My mother is semi-locked down at 8:00 at night where certain doors close off the facility so she can't get lost, but my father can access the rest of the facility. I think that’s a huge plus. They can improve by having 7 days-a-week transportation.

September 11, 2016

By Lorrayn

Maplewood was excellent. They had lots of different activities. A bus was just getting back; they’ve gone out to lunch, and they had someone coming in with a therapy dog. They had a regular children’s program so the older people get exposed to see cute kids singing. I was impressed with the staff; they were interacting with the residents, and everybody seemed to know the residents’ names. The location was good, and it was easy to find parking. It feels personal, small, and like a family. I saw them doing some brain games.

February 24, 2016

By Cynthia120523650

Maplewood at Newtown was very high end, very nice, and very well appointed with well-kept common areas and a nice dining area. It looked very inviting. The residents seemed in good spirits because they participated in activities. It’s like a very active assisted living community. The staff was very good. When I was there, they were having a craft class and also a political or current events discussion going on in another room. The only negative comment I have is that they did not have enough parking for visitors.

February 07, 2016

By Barb B

This is a nice facility, however the workers are over worked, they are always short staffed. The residents do not get to their meals on time. My mother has to wait 45 minutes before a CNA came to take her back to her room. It's is a shame that they do not have enough staff to help the people who pay a lot of money to live there.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us. I would like to know more specifics. Maplewood at Newtown has more than adequate staffing ratios, some of the highest in the assisted living industry so we need to learn more about your concerns. Our goal is to always provide the very best care and customer service to our residents and their families. Therefore, I would truly appreciate the opportunity of communicating further with you regarding more specifics of your concerns. Please either email me at aellen@maplewoodsl.com or call my office at 203/557/4777 and ask for me to be paged. We truly appreciate your reaching out to provide us with feedback and we want to ensure we are able to regain your confidence. I look forward to the opportunity of learning more and resolving this to your satisfaction.

January 12, 2015

Maplewood at Newtown is a very nice facility, but it is very expensive. We visited their assisted living community. That community is very nice. The layout and décor is very well maintained. The staff that toured me around was very good and very knowledgeable. The food they offered was very good.

April 22, 2014

The people at Maple at Newton were very nice. They are doing a good job, considering our situation. Overall, it's a very nice facility.

November 30, 2013

By Carol71671550

Maplewood is off the road so you're surrounded by woods even though they're building a whole over-55 development next to it. It's still separated and they have a beautiful courtyard and a nice deck. It's very nice, very clean, great staff, really nice rooms, very good food. The chefs that they have do a great job. It's in a beautiful area, nice, private and quiet. I've looked at a lot of them and this was, by far, the nicest, cleanest, most modern. They redid the painting, carpets and furniture three years ago. In the Alzheimer's part, everything is locked, coded or with keys. It also has an outside courtyard that is surrounded by their living area so it's very secure. They have crosswords, bingo, they have people come in playing music. They have family barbeque picnics. They do different activities down in the Alzheimer's where I'm staying with my mother. Upstairs they have other things going on but they have nice activities. They keep them busy.

Memory Care Reviews for Maplewood at Newtown

Questions about Maplewood at Newtown

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Our affiliation and active involvement with the Alzheimer's Association ensure that our memory care program keeps up with the latest advances. All care staff is trained with Habilitation training focusing on our approach to dementia care.

What programs or activities does Maplewood at Newtown offer to enrich residents' well-being?

Residents can exercise their physical and mental well-being with specially curated on-site activities. To ensure residents enjoy a diverse cycle of events and recreation, we employ a full-time activities director. We offer different exercise programs such as low-impact fitness activities chair yoga and stretching classes. We provide regular musical entertainment to take a trip down memory lane. Residents enjoy regular trips and outings to local neighborhoods and towns. For residents who are reluctant to participate in social or recreational activities, we offer pet therapy as a positive and stimulating alternative. Residents may participate in recreational activities such as art classes designed to inspire and stimulate mental well-being and instructive community cooking classes. Residents can also join our gardening club. Our community activities roster includes trivia nights and regular educational lectures covering a wide range of academic topics.

What transportation services does Maplewood at Newtown offer to assisted living residents?

Complimentary transportation to local shopping, medical appointments, and more

What makes the chef or dining program at Maplewood at Newtown exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our savory menu choices feature ingredients from area farms that are delivered to our chefs daily. They joyfully go to work in our spacious kitchen, creating meals and desserts that celebrate the best of local flavor. There are several daily choices available at each meal.

What safety features or security measures does Maplewood at Newtown offer to assisted living residents?

By strategically using contrasting colors and patterns as a way to reduce falls and increase ease of wayfinding to important spaces, our purposeful design promotes independence as long as possible. Key areas like dining rooms are conveniently located, and placing our courtyards “hacienda-style” in the middle of the building allows easy, safe access for all. Other safety features include a 24 hour emergency response system, all visitors required to sign in and out upon arrival and departure, as well as the community main doors being secured at designated times in the evening until morning.

How does Maplewood at Newtown keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We keep our families informed through routine plan of care meetings with our care staff, as well as monthly newsletters.

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

What safety features or security measures does Maplewood at Newtown provide to protect residents who wander?

Services for residents with Disorientation/Lack of Awareness issues ensure residents are well-directed and receive support in living a healthy lifestyle, and that no one's needs are neglected. The facility supports outdoor leisure hours. Alzheimer's and dementia may encourage wandering as a means of coping with anxiety. Our facility utilizes a locked and secured perimeter to ensure the safety of our residents. Our facilities are secure and the staff is specially trained in de-escalating exit-seeking behaviors. We accept residents with behavioral issues - our staff is specially trained in de-escalating behavioral episodes and our facilities are fully equipped to handle any related occurrences that may arise.

What programs or activities does Maplewood at Newtown offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

To ensure residents enjoy a diverse cycle of events and recreation, we employ a full-time activities director. We offer different exercise programs such as low-impact fitness activities chair yoga and stretching classes. We provide regular musical entertainment to take a trip down memory lane. Residents enjoy regular trips and outings to local neighborhoods and towns. For residents who are reluctant to participate in social or recreational activities, we offer pet therapy as a positive and stimulating alternative. Residents may participate in recreational activities such as art classes designed to inspire and stimulate mental well-being and instructive community cooking classes. Residents can also join our gardening club. Our community activities roster includes trivia nights and regular educational lectures covering a wide range of topics. We also provide Brain Fitness Center using Touch of HEART, an emotion-based philosophy of care that each of our associates has been trained in.

What techniques does Maplewood at Newtown use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Our dining rooms are designed for socializing and creating a multi-sensory, therapeutic experience for all—especially for those living with memory impairment, whose senses, including taste and smell, decrease over time. The open kitchen concept allows aromas to reach the residents well before the plate arrives, and the openness encourages our culinary team and residents to get to know each other. Our chefs creatively prepare dishes daily that are fresh, aromatic, and bursting with flavor to boost our residents’ moods and appetites. Our white tableware and contrasting linens enhance depth perception.

Costs for Maplewood at Newtown

• Features Extra: Fitness Center

• Technology Extra: 24 Hour Emergency Call System

• Activities Extra: Touch Of Heart™ Brain Fitness Center

Nurses

• Nurses Extra: On Site 24 Hours A Day, 7 Days A Week.

• Get Costs

About Maplewood at Newtown

Maplewood at Newtown has much to offer residents and families - from the sunlit lobby and resort-style courtyards to the helpful concierge service and family-friendly country store. Thoughtfully laid-out apartments designed specifically for older adults are beautifully appointed and feature a modern kitchenette with granite countertops, private bathroom (many with universal access) and state-of-the-art safety features. Common areas - such as the Sunset Pub and movie screening room - are perfect for family visits.

Map of Maplewood at Newtown