Sommerset Retirement Community

Reviews of Sommerset Retirement Community

Independent Living Reviews for Sommerset Retirement Community

December 21, 2021

By Tobi

We went in and toured with the Somerset. It was pretty nice, but it was more than what we were looking for as far as cost goes. It was more like an apartment complex, and it doesn't support low-income housing, which was what my in-laws were looking for, so it would not work. It was fine. It was clean and the lady that gave us the tour was nice. It's basic and an older building. The staff was friendly. It's an older complex, so the kitchen cabinets and the kitchen appliances are outdated, but otherwise it looked like it was kept clean. I recommend making those updates for the kitchen and bathroom. Breakfast and dinner meals are included with your monthly rent. Once a week there's a cleaner. We did not like the location mainly because it was far away from my house, and it was kind of deeper into town. In order for you to go somewhere, getting out is kind of a pain.

August 08, 2021

By Christopher

I visited Sommerset Retirement Community two weeks ago. I was able to see their independent living. I showed up unannounced, so it wasn't like they were expecting me or any other visitor. From the second I walked in, the residents there were doing karaoke, and this is probably like 4 o'clock in the afternoon. It wasn't an activity; it was impromptu. Someone just decided to pick up the microphone and start singing. People were really getting into it, and they were genuinely having a good time. If I didn't have somewhere else to be, I would have hung out there for a while. They were all like, "Hey, who are you here to see? What are you doing?" I said I was just there to tour, so they went and showed me where the front desk was. They introduced me to the lady who works there, and told her "He's here to check this place out for his parents." It just seemed like they were all just so friendly. That was my first impression of the place. These people were really enjoying it and were happy to share their enthusiasm about the place. It wasn't the newest place that I've seen. It didn't have the most amenities, but it had everything that my parents needed and then some. The people there really enjoyed it too. I felt like it was really more of a very diverse community and just very warm and welcoming. That is the best way I could put it. With my little visit, I was really impressed. The rooms were great and everything, but the people definitely put it over the top. There was a lady there who was asking what's for dinner that night. Wendy (the staff member who was helping me) told her whatever they were having. The lady said "Oh, great! That's my favorite." She seemed to really enjoy it. I'll just stick with that. I didn't have a chance to try their food, but people seem to enjoy it. This place is a little bit older than most other places that I checked out, but it was very charming.

January 18, 2021

By Larry

I took a tour of Somerset yesterday. It was very clean, very organized, very warm and safe overall. The grounds were clean and neat, everything looked appealing, as far as the excellent apartment. The apartment was good and it was clean. Overall, I thought it was a good facility. They had laundry facilities and that particular one had a dining area. Nothing looked out of place, everything looked like it was well-maintained. I don't have a whole lot of experience with retirement community, actually that was my first one, so I don't have anything to judge it against. I didn't walk away with any kind of bad feeling. I didn't feel any bad vibes or anything while I was there at all. The staff was accommodating and appropriate. I saw a few residents and everyone looked like well in place to me. I met two staff, one was actually working with the residents and the other one was like a contact person. I thought that she was appropriate while going through the tour. I checked out different areas, she didn't say like, "Hey! This is the bathroom. This is this... this is that...", I had to kinda navigate that myself, but it wasn't a bad experience at all. It's an apartment situation. It was very small but it was compact, clean and neat. It looked very, very livable. The bathroom was good. You didn't have to step into the shower area, so I thought it was good.

November 23, 2020

By ReviewerFC110720E

We visited Sommerset Retirement Community, and they were quite nice. It's a good facility. The environment, the setting, and the location were a bit better than the other place we visited. I had very limited contact with the staff, but the people we met were very nice, very knowledgeable, very flexible, and very accommodating.

October 15, 2020

By Nidia

I did an in-person tour of Sommerset Retirement Community. They were very nice, the manager was very, very nice, I'm very pleased, and I hope my mom can move over there. The rooms were beautiful, I loved it, very spacious, and I really liked that they had this ring where they can alert anyone that something happened to them. I also liked the very light apartments, they had a nice view because they are next to trees, and I loved it, I just loved it. Their dining room is a restaurant type.

August 01, 2020

By MK

My friend is a resident of Sommerset Retirement Community. It is OK right now. They're pretty nice people over there. They seem to try to help as much as possible. Right now, they're all still in their rooms and their food is being delivered up there, so that's pretty good. My friend just came back from a rehab, and without going out and doing a lot of activities, she is very slow in her recovery. Everyone I met has been very nice. Her room is like a studio apartment. It is very nice. She is very happy there. She is not doing a lot of activities because she is still trying to recover from a hip fracture. With COVID they're limited to their apartments. They have an exercise room, a library, and a pool table. They had music and dancing in the atrium. They have washers and dryers. They have security and they maintain everything, so it sounds like it is pretty good.

June 06, 2019

By Linda

I visited Sommerset Retirement Community but I didn't like where it was located. It was really very nice, but I didn't like where it was. The staff that accommodated me was very nice as well, she's excellent. The location was hard to get to. I didn't have any food there but the dining area looked really nice. The community was clean and spacious. If it's somewhere else I wouldn't mind moving there. Some of their amenities are a pool, an activity place, a beauty shop, library and a place to sit.

Thank you for visiting our wonderful community. We appreciate the feedback as it lets us know how we are doing. I'm sorry the location was hard to get to. However, we do have a lot of shopping centers near us which residents really enjoy. Thank you again for the review. :)

July 27, 2016

By Mary005178

Nothing really stood out in Sommerset. They had a small exercise room with classes and maybe a library and game room. The place was clean. The staff was pleasant and seemed helpful.

August 13, 2013

By Caring 3670

We went to Sommerset Retirement Community when we looked for a place for my grandmother. The staff was really nice. They had a cafeteria and they served two meals; you paid for the third meal. They did your laundry for an extra fee. They also had pretty good activities which was really nice.

Questions about Sommerset Retirement Community

Describe the overall population of independent living residents at Sommerset Retirement Community. What is their average age? What are their favorite things to do?

It is a building with private apartments and adjoining community space. Services such as meals, housekeeping, transportation, and linen service are provided and included in the monthly rental fee. It is designed for active, independent senior adults who want to live a more carefree lifestyle.

What places are nearby for independent living residents to enjoy?

Northern Virginia is next door to our nation's capital - Washington, D.C. yet has kept its own character reminiscent of colonial times, rambling plantations, equestrian farms and cobblestoned streets leading to quaint taverns, chic shops and historical gems. Loudoun County is a treasure trove of unique historic sites, museums, performance venues, and natural wonders. Visit and discover such national treasures such as George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate, the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts, and Great Falls National Park. Northern Virginia is a favorite destination of shoppers, from upscale shopping malls to bargain outlets and winery shops. For an upscale resort, try Landsdowne in Leesburg.

What transportation services does Sommerset Retirement Community offer to independent living residents?

One of the advantages of living here is free chauffeured bus service to doctor’s appointments, shopping, churches, banks and the post office.

What makes the chef or dining program at Sommerset Retirement Community exceptional? What kind of menu can independent living residents expect?

Sommerset Retirement Community clears away many of the day-to-day responsibilities that seniors can't or no longer wish to- manage on their own. The choice is always yours for example, we offer a beautiful, restaurant-style dining room, but your apartments also feature lovely kitchens for residents who enjoy cooking their own meals. Restaurant-Style Dining: Continental Breakfast, Lunch (a la carte) and Evening Meal.

What common areas are available for independent living residents?

Wellness Room, Beauty/Barber Shop, (Indoor) Gazebo Area, Fireplace Lounge with Large Screen TV, Private Dining Room, Hall of Fame/Computer Room, Game & Billiards Room, Arts and Crafts Room and Garden Lounge with Solarium.

What safety features or security measures does Sommerset Retirement Community offer to independent living residents?

Emergency Pull Cord & Response System, 24 Hour Front Desk Personnel.

If Sommerset Retirement Community accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

Pet's are welcomed, of course there are some necessary guidelines to observe regarding size, weight, noise and where the pet is permitted. There are specific areas of the building where no pets are allowed. There is a small additional fee for pets.

Does Sommerset Retirement Community work with an agency or registry to provide nursing and medical assistance as needed?

You're free to choose from a list of referrals or use the agency of your choice. Private Pay.

Costs for Sommerset Retirement Community

Photos of Sommerset Retirement Community

Services and Amenities of Sommerset Retirement Community

About Sommerset Retirement Community

THERE’S A REAL DIFFERENCE at Sommerset, the liveliest, friendliest retirement community in Virginia’s Sterling and Leesburg area. It’s a rental retirement community with no long-term commitment, no entrance fee and no buy-in expense.

Plus, unlike retirement communities that include assisted living, Sommerset is all about savoring new freedom to live. Enjoy gracious dining, housekeeping, a Wellness Center, an excellent staff and a scope of activities plus free transportation to your own doctors and to Sterling and Leesburg shopping that is simply unmatched by any other retirement community in Loudoun County.

Located on a tree-lined drive in Sterling, VA, Sommerset is the rental retirement community for active seniors who want to put down roots and spread their wings.

Exceptional value. There is no entrance fee or buy-in. Instead, renting month-to-month at Sommerset rewards you with flexibility and with beautifully run facilities, a rich scope of activities, and outstanding medical services, shopping and entertainment in Sterling and Leesburg. Our experienced, long-tenured staff clears away chores and concerns so you can enjoy an independent lifestyle with a new family of “kindred spirits.”

So much to discover. Unlike senior living communities that include assisted living, Sommerset is more like a college campus. There are so many activities! Plus, every weekday, our free chauffeured bus takes residents “off campus” — to see their own doctors or enjoy adventures everywhere from downtown Washington to West Virginia.

A real home. Unlike retirement communities run as a “chain,” Sommerset is run as your home. You’ll have a strong voice in how things operate and you’ll enjoy the feel of an old-fashioned, close-knit neighborhood where people know each other, enjoy each other, socialize together and are there for each other.

Rely on an exceptional staff. We have experienced personnel on duty 24 hours a day to provide residents with everything from routine assistance to a fast response in an emergency. We can help you add extra support, too. When additional support is needed, we can help you with your own best arrangements for private care giving.

Map of Sommerset Retirement Community