Colonial Gardens - Austin

Reviews of Colonial Gardens - Austin

Memory Care Reviews for Colonial Gardens - Austin

October 30, 2018

By WinterIsComing

We tried having my mother in Colonial Gardens Austin, but it didn't work out. One of their selling points is the garden itself in the big backyard that they have. It's enclosed and secure. However, nobody can actually go out there without going out there with the staff. I think what's something that they should implement to let people go out there without putting a code in to go out. I also think that communication is kind of lacking. They didn't really tell me what was going on at the beginning of the process. Actually, the director went around me, and basically chose some home healthcare options without consulting me, which I found to be really terrible. For example, an incident happened on the first week that she was there. It was really traumatic. One of the other residents I guess had an infection and she was going kind of crazy and hitting everyone, including me when I was just there to witness that. Nobody was really able to handle the situation or knew how to handle it correctly. So I thought that was interesting. It obviously shows lack of training. They furnished the room for us, they found something they had, and they made it work. I wouldn't say the food was all that wonderful. The place was kept clean for the most part and it was OK. I just didn't find it as upscale as what I'm looking for overall. I guess the main thing was the communication from the director was very bad. It's probably not her fault entirely because she's brand new in her role. They were not really being able to handle it, there was poor communication in general, and some unprofessionalism too. She started crying to me one day because she felt like I was always attacking her with all the negative stuff, and that I didn't have anything positive to say, although that was just more concern for my mother. In terms of activities, I never really saw anything happening. When I saw the place it was very active and they kept the residents busy with all the stuff happening. Ever since then I would go in there and everyone would be passed out and sleeping, or sitting in chairs with nothing happening. I didn't feel what they were trying to tell me was accurate. I would rate the staff a three because there are people that obviously stand out to me, but overall there's some issues with staffing for sure.

I am sorry you did not have a great experience at our community, however we appreciate your feedback. We are always striving to improve and we have addressed the concerns you've noted. We agree that our large backyards are a great space for our residents and is an amenity that sets us apart from other communities. The code is on the door for resident safety however residents are encouraged to use the backyards with staff, family, or friends. Our staff receives ongoing training on the dementia process and behavior management, however the disease effects each person differently and causes changes in personality throughout the disease process. The incident you witnessed was a change in behavior that has been addressed and the staff has been trained specifically to that situation. We consider it an honor that our families entrust us to take care of their loved ones and we understand that communication is very important with the families. I apologize that you did not feel our communication was sufficient. We wish you and your loved one the best as you navigate this very difficult journey of dementia.

May 10, 2016

By FrankFZOBQ

Colonial Gardens was nice. Everybody was very nice, very understanding, and answered all of my questions. Everything was good including the dining area, the open areas, and the rooms.

August 01, 2011

There are actually buildings at this locations. It's really pleasant, peaceful and aesthetically pleasing from the outside. The environment was really nice and the staff was very pleasant. There is a beauty parlor and a dog for entertainment and activities to enjoy. There's also a nice big backyard that the residents can go outside and walk around. The security is good and there is a nurse on staff that provides all the medication. I'm not sure the staff to resident ratio is sufficient. Food seemed satisfactory, but never had any. Overall, I think this was a great facility.
See all Memory Care reviews (7) See fewer reviews

Questions about Colonial Gardens - Austin

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Our staff receives online training and live training on a monthly basis.

How many staffers are on duty in the daytime and overnight?

There's a nurse 40 hours weekly Monday thru Friday, There is an evening Supervisor on Monday thru Friday, on the weekends we have weekend Supervisors. Also, there are 4 care givers per shift and an additional 3 caregivers at night.

What programs or activities does Colonial Gardens - Austin offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We engage in mental, physical, and mobility programs daily. Our staff engage residents with trivia, memory games, and music to assist with long term memory.

Our Director of Nursing assesses residents health and cognitive functioning upon entering and again every 6 months. Also, if there is a change in behavior our resident will be assessed.

What techniques does Colonial Gardens - Austin use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

Hand over hand, hand under hand assist, verbal queuing, and full service assist.

How does Colonial Gardens - Austin keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

We send out a monthly newsletter, calendar updates, and phone calls.

Describe the neighborhood around Colonial Gardens - Austin. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

It is a beautiful residential neighborhood that offers a public library and community gardens within walking distance.

Is Colonial Gardens - Austin affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

No, we bring in outside sources if additional care is needed.

Costs for Colonial Gardens - Austin

Photos of Colonial Gardens - Austin

Services and Amenities of Colonial Gardens - Austin

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

• State Licenses: 130206 & 130204

About Colonial Gardens - Austin

From the moment you and your loved one arrive at our community, you can relax knowing you have finally found a partner in care. At Colonial Gardens, we have intentionally designed our homes to be smaller than non-personal dementia facilities. This smaller and more structured environment means Colonial Gardens of Austin provides a level of personalized care not seen in other communities. We are not designed to be a "cookie cutter" corporate business; we are driven by a mission to provide total care -- to the resident and the family.

Each home is situated on more than an acre of property, affording the residents a beautiful outdoor space to enjoy. Our landscaped yards continue around each community, allowing residents the freedom to wander or enjoy the flower, herb and vegetable gardens, relax on a bench and watch the birds and squirrels play.

Inside our homes you will notice a decor designed to match the history of our residents. Antique sideboards, calming colors and comfortable furniture are features of our homes, every item selected to compliment the residents' tastes. Our layout is structured to allow safe wandering -- residents are in sight of the staff and there are no long hallways to "get lost in." We want our homes to feel like home, for our residents and their visitors and we think you'll agree.

Our Austin staff prides itself on providing personalized care for your loved one. Our professional caregivers are trained to understand and respond to the behaviors associated with various types of dementia, including Alzheimer's, Vascular, Parkinson's, Frontal-Temporal, Lewy Body, Pick's, Huntington's and other more rare forms of dementia. Each caregiver receives an unprecedented 20 hours of classroom and virtual reality education. (The state requires two hours of training for certification.)

Our training, our education, our staff and our mission are only part of what makes Colonial Gardens of Austin different than the rest. Come by and see us; we think you'll agree -- Texas owned and Texas friendly. It makes all the difference.

Conveniently located in a residential neighborhood one block off Mo-Pac and Parmer Lane, our homes are recognized and known for their native limestone architecture, mature oak trees and beautifully landscaped yards.

Map of Colonial Gardens - Austin