Concordia of the South Hills

Reviews of Concordia of the South Hills

Assisted Living Reviews for Concordia of the South Hills

August 26, 2016

By Happy00

My mom had a wonderful stay at Concordia of the South Hills. All of the staff was remarkable, attentive and helpful. The atmosphere was very welcoming and friendly. As an added amenity, the food was delicious. I would highly recommend this facility for wonderful care for any of your loved ones.

August 23, 2016

By Caregiver relative

We thought the facility and rooms were nice/clean at Concordia South Hills. We also felt the physical therapist was exceptional, but the occupational and speech therapist not so good. They were aloof and abrupt.. The facility was always short staffed. Never enough CNA's or nurses which led to inadequate care. The staff was also indifferent and never smiled. They did not address the residents by name or even attempt to talk to them in a personal manner. The staff paid more attention to their phones than the residents. One aid even wore earbuds during work! Not sure how she communicated with the residents with those in her ears.

August 30, 2015

By Patrick20

I was visiting someone who was ill at Concordia of the South Hills. The place was very well managed and clean. The staff looked great. They showed me where the room was, and everything was fine. The rooms were very nice and clean. It seemed to be adequate for the patient.

March 06, 2015

By pittguy

What an amazing facility! The staff was so helpful and caring. The residents spoke so highly of their caretakers. Their smiles said it all! It is so comforting knowing there is a caring facility available in the near future for my mom and dad.

August 27, 2013

By Caring Husband1

We like everything about Concordia Of The South Hills. We are impressed with their health care facility, the nursing home that's part of it. The staff is very nice. Their rooms are very nice. They do have activities there including happy hours. It is a good place to live.

December 21, 2012

By secluded

In my experience, this was one of the nicest providers we had, though there is always some downfall to assisted living care. The staff was helpful enough, and generally was responsive to my grandmother's needs. They even packed up all of her things when she got sent back to the hospital and stored them in the back room so we could go and pick them up later. On the downside, they didn't always alert us when something happened - which was annoying because my mother is a registered nurse and would have been able to comprehend and in fact assist in the situation. The facility was also nice - the room was very homey, and it was also a single, which was very important to my grandmother. Unfortunately, my grandmother did not get to partake in many of the amenities as she was too sick, but I believe there were an ample amount of offerings, such as personal hairdresser and fun activities. I believe she would have enjoyed them if she were feeling better.

Nursing Home Reviews for Concordia of the South Hills

August 27, 2018

By jlau

From day one at the skilled unit of Concordia of the South Hills we had zero confidence in the care my mother in law was receiving and literally stayed eight to twelve hours a day as a result. The door to her room was slightly ajar to minimize hallway noise. On any given day, it was not unusual that except for housekeeping, the coffee lady and the maintenance man, but no clinical staff or aide, except for two individuals (when they happened to be on that unit) even poked their head in the door for periods of five and a half hours or more to assess her condition. Staff could be seen sitting at the front desk scrolling on their cell phones or watching the television. Had it not been for the family literally sitting in that room for 8 to 12 hours a day, seeking out the nurse for medication for pain or agitation, we have no idea how uncomfortable she would have been or for how long. We also have no way of knowing how many hours would have passed before or IF anyone checked on her. These are the issues we found: There is NO excuse for STAFF: * To not know a resident is on your unit-- she was admitted on 3-11 the day before and daylight didn't know she was there! * To not know the resident is being followed by hospice * To be unaware as to why or who put a patient on oxygen * To be uninformed that the resident had a significant GI bleed during the night * To not know that nonessential medications were discontinued o The nurse had a responsibility to realize and follow up with the nurse practitioner as to WHY orders for discontinuation were not written after informing the family that they were. * To have no knowledge that hospice sent an order to discontinue all non-essential medications. This was as a result of the attending physician, who was supposed to do it -- did not * To dump an entire medicine cup full of pills into someone's mouth--period--yet alone without having enough fluid to take any of them causing the patient to choke and spit out the medications * To not note that a daily wound treatment was ordered until the family made staff aware--two days later * To not check on a patient at least every two hours especially when that patient is bedbound; was in significant pain; was on hospice and could have literally died with Concordia staff being completely unaware for hours! There is total lack of communication between not only Concordia and hospice but more alarmingly little to no communication during Concordia's shift change with their own employees. Staff were sitting at the nurses station on their cell phones or watching TV. We are aware only because we had family members present with clinical backgrounds. Non-clinical family members who were present freely admitted that they never thought to question this. Had it not been for the family clinicians sadly and unfortunately her family members would not have been the wiser. I believe for most families the latter is most common. The individual paying the price would be the patient! Do NOT place your loved ones in this facility! My mother in law died, peacefully, with hospice and family with her.

July 17, 2018

By greg unhappy

they didn't follow doctors written instructions causing my dads heart surgery to be canceled DO NOT PUT YOU LOVE ONE HERE THEY LEAVE HIM IN A WHEELCHAIR ALL DAY CANT GET HIS FOOD CHOICES RIGHT TAKE A WILE TO ANSWER THE CALL LIGHT

December 18, 2017

By Peggy

Concordia of the South Hills was a very nice place. The person who gave me the tour was nice and knowledgeable. The dining area was like a big room with tables and chairs. My friend is there for rehab and therapy. She told me that she joins the happy hour.

January 04, 2017

By Bob865434

My mother-in-law was at Concordia for a night. Aesthetically, the place was very pleasing for a skilled nursing place. The rooms were nice and spacious and had nice wall colors that were very uplifting. The staff's ability to handle patients with kidney issues was lacking.

March 05, 2016

By *********

Concordia was a nightmare. My mom was in there for rehab. I live out of town and was only able to talk to her on the phone. I knew something wasn't right. My mom got a UTI while in there and it was undiagnosed. They kept telling me that was her new "baseline." She was confused and became weak and wasn't making any progress. They didn't take the time to do their professional job. Her aide couldn't get her brace/shoe on so she threw it on the chair.

September 26, 2013

By Patricia31

Concordia of the South Hills was the only facility that can take her at that time. The days shift was wonderful but the night shift was terrible. The food was awful. The rehab was okay but they gave unrealistic expectations about her abilities to be independent. They told us that they are going to review her insurance every five days. Because she was non-weightbearing on one leg, they told us that they probably were going to cut her coverage so we lived in fear for that in a long time.

Continuing Care Retirement Community Reviews for Concordia of the South Hills

• Occupational Therapy

Types of care

• Meal Preparation

About Concordia of the South Hills

Concordia of the South Hills, located on 19 acres on Bower Hill Road in Mt. Lebanon, offers a beautiful environment situated just a few minutes from shopping, cultural events, and downtown Pittsburgh. This continuing care retirement community consists of retirement living apartments, personal care suites, memory support personal care suites, and skilled nursing - which means those in our care have the opportunity to age in place. For many people, that's a pretty comforting thought. At Concordia of the South Hills, financial security is a prime concern; we take our commitment to preserving your assets seriously and hold all refundable fees in a reserve account. As a nonprofit organization that believes in good stewardship, Concordia has thrived for over a century. We're sure you won't find a better retirement living value in the region.

Map of Concordia of the South Hills