Glen Oaks Alzheimer's Special Care Center

Reviews of Glen Oaks Alzheimer's Special Care Center

Memory Care Reviews for Glen Oaks Alzheimer's Special Care Center

March 19, 2018

By Kevin and Deb

Some of our loved ones are not able to tell people what they need or want.. that is left up to us the family and the caregivers we entrust with our family member.. we did much research before coming to Glen Oaks in June of 2017 and found many facilities to have the same problem (staffing..). We visited facilities that staff didn't know what to do nor did they care, we visited facilities where there was an abundance of staff wanting to fulfill your every need $$$. Cleanliness and attentiveness to your family member we thought we found in Glen Oaks. To our dismay the 30-plus minute waits for someone to come help, the turnover and or change in staffing has now put our family member In Harm's Way.. in the last 11 days my mother-in-law has had one undocumented fall and now a document fall that we are now spending the night at Mercy Hospital... She requires direct help to get in and out of chairs beds eating bath rooming and any movement.. we are asking management for a meeting again as a month ago we were told by management that this was all being corrected and would not happen with new management and new Staffing.. I'm afraid we're right back where we started. I'm sure this post is not what they're looking for but it is the truth, and no matter what facility remember it's a business first.. we are very disappointed

September 27, 2017

By My parents voice

Finding a place for a needy parent is a task that we take on with great CARE and concern For me and my family GLEN OAKS Urbandale, Iowa appeared to meet expectations. Location is great. Building and grounds meticulously maintained and staff appear friendly. My initial tour went well and it appeared too that the needs of my parent Could be met and maintained here. I liked the fact that Glen Oaks is a residential care facility which means that they should be staffed efficiently in order to effectively manage the needs of their residents . Herein lies the problem. For the most administrative staff appear to be capable people. However the nurses are short staffed and stressed out The caregivers are short staffed as well and residents are often waiting for assistance far lo long in most cases. I personally have witnessed call lights being ignored for upwards of 30 minutes . Hygene and personal cleanliness of your loved one is often left unattended and must be monitored closely. My loved one developed bed and body sores as a result of lack of attention and care. Another noteworthy issue is that the careplan is Not always carried out as indicated and this too must be monitored closely. Bottom line is this:; trust less and verify more when it comes to care facilities and Yes, Glen Oaks is no exception. I have escalated my concerns and Hope they get it together soon or I will be looking for another facility. At this point 3 STARS is being generous.

May 10, 2016

By Julie123882350

Glen Oaks Alzheimer's Special Care Center was my second choice because I really thought it was a great place. The rooms were very nice with very pleasant atmosphere. The staff was great and very willing to help in any way. They had quite a few activities going on while I was there. The dining room looked very nice. I was really happy with this place.

March 30, 2016

By Dawn42

My father is in Glen Oaks Alzheimer’s Care. I think it is a nice, clean facility. I think the price is a little high, but the rooms seem a little larger than the other places I looked at. There is a sitting or living area attached to a bedroom with a closet and a bed, plus a bathroom. The services are fine and comparable to other places. Someone comes to cut hair once a week. There are activities, but they are not something that they can essentially do on their own. The dining area is nice and seems homey.

December 30, 2014

I think the people are caring towards the residents at Glen Oaks. The place is well-kept, they served a lot of food, and it’s alright.

October 14, 2014

By Camarolady

Awful place. Never enough staff. Smells like urine, is dirty. New staff all the time! Never know who will be caring for your relative.

February 27, 2014

Glen Oaks seemed like a good community and had good activities. My husband didn't have any complaints about them. His room was always neat and clean. The staff was good. The financial manager, Kristen, always had a big smile. The boy named Troy was always very accommodating. I've eaten there with him and the food looked good. They had cafeteria style. They also had entertainment. Children would come in to dance. They had TV, checkers, but I didn't see any people watching or doing checkers. I didn't see anybody play the piano. I didn't see any one sitting around the fireplace. Mostly would watch TV or be in their wheelchairs, kind of huddle around and hang close to the door. They wanted out.

October 31, 2011

By julie2

I have found the staff at emeritus to be very friendly and helpfu> they have done thier best to make the move for my father the best possible.
See all Memory Care reviews (8) See fewer reviews

• Features Extra: Library

• Internet Enabled Rooms

• Minimum Age: None

About Glen Oaks Alzheimer's Special Care Center

Often the mental demands of those struggling with Alzheimer's disease can take over the emotional needs. But at JEA Senior Living, we keep the emotional needs and feelings of your loved one at the very center of what we do.

Our exclusive Meaningful Moments&reg program is specifically designed to help meet the needs of those Residents with memory loss. We begin by discovering the life story of each individual's likes, dislikes and cherished memories. By adding details and preferences from each Resident's life story into their day, we can build comfort and a sense of meaning for each individual Resident. The result is a familiar atmosphere for your loved one.

Our Residents have access to a whole host of amenities and programming options to help keep them active and engaged in daily life.

There are excursions to restaurants and shopping, arts and crafts classes, movie nights and many chances for family and holiday celebrations. Our Meaningful Moments&reg program, paired with our active and engaged staff members at JEA Senior Living, brings together the very best Alzheimer's care.

Glen Oaks Alzheimer's Special Care Center is designed to embrace each resident's life experiences, offering an approach that incorporates the individual story into the whole care program. The center offers around-the-clock care and supervision, private and semi-private accommodations, three quality, gourmet meals every day (as well as snacks and special guest meals!), and a vast array of activities.

Map of Glen Oaks Alzheimer's Special Care Center