Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village

Reviews of Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village

Independent Living Reviews for Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village

May 10, 2016

By Jennifer122191750

Casa San Carlo was very traditional and older looking but comfortable for older people because of that familiar feeling. They had excellent food and a lovely dining room that served wine with the dinners. They made me think it’s where an old person would live. It wasn’t really bright, and I remember as a kid old people always kept the curtains shut, so it was always dim. It was more on the subdued side and not huge but comfortable.

October 29, 2015

Casa San Carlo was wonderful, but my mom is 90 years old, and it just wasn’t good for her because she needs help. They don't have assistance there since it’s independent living. The meals and staff were very good, and it had very nice apartments. They did not have many activities available, though.

December 24, 2013

By Sandra41

My mother is one of Casa San Carlos's current residents. They have a doctor there one day a week, so my mother doesn't have to go out and that's kind of reassuring. Their food is institutional. My mother complains about it. As far as activities, she doesn't participate as much as when she was younger but she does a little bit of activities. She is exercising with them on the chair, she plays bingo, and she walks with other ladies. It is a very nice facility.

August 27, 2013

By Martha14

My dad is at Casa San Carlo and the price is considerably low. They had a chapel. They had 14-acres of landscape grounds with gardens with trees so that was a plus too. But the main thing for my father was that he had a brother-in-law living there already that's why he wanted to go there.

January 11, 2012

By Caring201973

I liked this facility. Residents were down to earth and friendly and I didn't feel that people put on airs. I felt very relaxed here. The individual apartments are clean and painted. I only saw one bedroom apartments, but the bedrooms are quite large and the kitchen and family area seem modern. Appliances are relatively new. The hallways are clean and I didn't smell anything bad. Every resident has their name on the door which lends itself to a homey feeling. The dining room is in the basement and the residents who I spoke with seemed in general to like the food. The lobby is spacious and there is a large television where people can sit and watch and a vending and ATM machine. The receptionist behind the desk is helpful and knows all the residents by name. On every floor there is also a large sitting room where people can sit outside their rooms and play games. In the basement there is a chapel and a health club and different rooms where residents can gather. One day that I was visiting and some people were playing board games in one room, while others were attending a lecture in another. There is a wellness center and caregiver agency on the premises for residents who need extra help. The facility also has a relationship with the library which comes and delivers books to residents. One drawback that residents complained about was that the buses do not take people with disabilities and it is difficult for them to get places unless they take a taxi. There are not a lot of good eateries or cultural areas in walking distance and you kind of feel stuck in the boonies. I also heard from a few of the residents that the place was cliquish.

About Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village

Located on 14 beautifully landscaped acres in Northlake, Casa San Carlo is sponsored by the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth and the Sisters of the Resurrection.

Casa San Carlo Retirement Community offers 182 spacious independent living apartments in a variety of floor plans - without the traditional homeowners' headaches of upkeep and maintenance. Your new, affordable retirement home provides easy access to area amenities - including excellent medical facilities, shopping and recreation - as well as the beauty and serenity afforded by our Friendship Garden and gazebo with meandering walking paths.

Map of Ascension Living Casa Scalabrini Village