South Port Square Port Charlotte, FL

Offers Assisted Living, Independent Living, Nursing Homes, Continuing Care Communities, and Memory Care

23023 Westchester Blvd., Port Charlotte, FL 33980
South Port Square (800) 385-2527

Reviews of South Port Square

Assisted Living Reviews for South Port Square

August 21, 2017

By David

South Port Square was a fantastic place with tons of things in it. They had their own bank, ice cream parlor, and everything you want. It gave Dad a feeling he's on a cruise ship. It had very nice, long halls. The dining halls were big, but you can't wear shorts; you have to dress up for dinner. It was a beautiful place, but Dad didn?t feel it was for him. It was a very active community.

January 05, 2017

By Mary S3

We visited South Port. It is a huge retirement community that you have to buy into, so it is contract plus a monthly fee. It was quite beautiful, and they had all kinds of things going within the place, but it was expensive. If at some point after you bought in you run out of money, you can still be there, so that has it pluses. They had transportation and really good food. However, you only get either lunch or dinner. They had a very light breakfast, so you don't get two full meals a day. Their grounds were beautiful, but it was a huge community with everything. They had independent and assisted living.

June 11, 2016

By Joyce731888

South Port Square was beautiful. The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. It's like a little village. They had everything, including a little post office and a convenience store. They take tours and have lots of outings and in-house activities.

May 06, 2015

By Anne106637250

Harbour Terrace has been excellent so far, and it is just what my sister needed. The staff is caring, they know her, and they are taking very good care of her. They do have activities, and they keep their residents busy. They take them out as well.

June 17, 2014

By Joyce40

Harbour Terrace was wonderful. I loved the facility. Everyone was terrific and sweet. The people who greeted us and showed us around were super. The rooms were very nicely arranged, and the size was also nice. I liked the idea that they had small communities or a small group that sits together.

January 31, 2014

We did see Harbour Terrace. The facility was nice. Their rooms were nice and the dining room was okay. Everything was fine. It was just too expensive.

August 22, 2013

By chrissw

I placed my mother there almost 9 months ago and you could not ask for a more loving, caring and beautiful place. The care my mother gets is the BEST! They love her like she is their mother or grandmother. I am very, very happy with the choice I made and believe me, it wasn't an easy choice to make. I looked around a very long time before she went. She loves it and calls it home!

Nursing Home Reviews for South Port Square

November 21, 2016

I am disgusted with the lack of respect and hospitality with this place! My grandmother is part of the memory care unit and when we had visited her, she needed help going to the bathroom, so when I went to get a nurse to help her, she began to make derogatory comments about my grandmother in front of me!! Worst is the other nurses began to giggle, even the supposedly LPN in charge Doris. When I asked to see the nurses nametag who made the comment she refused to provide her identity and turned away from me and removed her nametag. When I stated I would speak to her supervisor, she made the sarcastic comment "Ooh, I'm trembling." She also continued to argue with me in the hallway where other patients were and I'm 9 months pregnant to add. This place has no bedside manners towards those who truly need help or even any respect for the family members wanting to come visit. Do your research before considering this place for your loved one...

December 10, 2015

By Steves_way84

Very nice grounds, good food, and decor. Very rude Aides & Nurses. You can pull the Room Cord, and they NEVER come to assist, & show total disregard and disrespect for residents of failing memories. One aide entered the room to check oxygen source, and ate food off residents plate while they were in the bathroom.

September 25, 2015

By joellen_isaac

My father was admitted to Harbour Health for rehab after his hip surgery. The therapist were excellent, he was up and walking that day and went back home after a week. Much stronger than when he arrived and happier too. The nursing staff members were attentive to his needs. All in all a very pleasent experience for Dad and me.

June 29, 2014

By tdague

I was recently a patient there and became gravely ill with c-dif ,which seems to be a problem there. They transferred me back to the hospital with little notice and lost my hearing aid and clothing in the process. After two months of inquiries about my hearing aids, I am beginning to see that no one cares. Pass on this place !!

April 11, 2014

My husband was in South Port Square in rehab. It has everything. It's real nice, but we couldn't afford it. If you went there to live, they have apartments. They have a dining room. You go there and eat in the dining room. The food was good there, even in the rehab. The staff was very good. The women who are interested do craft work there. They get together and do things, and they have entertainment. We like it being close to our home here where we live. We know people in this community, so that part was good.

October 10, 2013

By Lubasweet

This facility looks nice, but both my parents were there and both got C-Dif and there weren't many precautions taken. As a result, my Mom passed away. I would NOT recommend this facility.

March 29, 2013

By Mary48

The rooms are beautiful at South Port. The whole place is very nice. The nursing staff cares very much. They do as much as they can for getting patients in and out of appointments with doctors. They're able to take the patients out to go somewhere if they want to take them out to dinner. They do the laundry. The food seems very good. They're overall an A+ place.

June 20, 2012

By Jan3

The grounds and buildings are well maintained. When you drive up to the complex, it looks like a resort. There are nice places for the residents to walk and sit outside. They have good activities for the residents. My parents seem to enjoy all the activities, especially the musical programs. The elderly seem to like listening to music from when they were young. After residents expressed problems with the dining room/food, the facility addressed the concerns and things seem to have improved.I do have concerns with communication between the medical staff, aides, residents, residents' doctors, and residents' family. I don't think everyone at the facility is kept current of the residents' problems and concerns and what needs to be done for them. We have experienced things falling between the cracks when not followed up by the family. Some of this maybe due to my parents being fairly new residents, but I think some of it is due to the staff not being experienced or they are understaffed, or people not taking the initiative to resolve issues. I'm not really sure. However, overall we are happy with the facility and my parents are settling in ok.

January 20, 2012

By Ernie50

My father was at this facility for just over 24 hours before he died. He was recovering from heart surgery and was doing very well when he left the hospital. When I went to visit him just a couple of hours before he passed, I noticed the smell of feces as I passed several rooms. Medical staff were wandering around, noticibly not addressing the urine and fecal smell. When I spoke to my father, he told me that they left him laying in his own feces for hours without assisting him. I assured him that I was going to get him out of this facility the next morning, but I was too late. We never had an autopsy done, so I don't know what killed him. As a legal disclaimer, I am in no way saying that this facility is responsible for his death. I am only reporting what I observed and what was told to me by my father.

Continuing Care Retirement Community Reviews for South Port Square

December 27, 2016

By Mary S3

We visited South Port Square. It was a huge, beautiful retirement community that you had to buy into, then you had a monthly fee, so it was expensive. They had all kinds of things and acitivities going on within the facility and transportation. They had really good food and provided a very light breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Their grounds were beautiful, and the building was huge. They had independent and assisted living, plus rehabilitation. They had a couple of restaurants within the facility.

October 10, 2016

By Margaret119035250

South Port Square is much smaller. There were 2 apartment buildings. It was very nicely laid-out and they had a beautiful pool. They have all kinds of activities, and because of the weather, they do lots of trips year-round. Those were very appealing. They have a lovely dining room; I ate there, too. They also have a very friendly atmosphere and they’re very good. My only concern was it was strictly apartment and you had to be in an apartment. Everything was kept very nice.

March 22, 2016

By Virginia118137350

At South Port Square, the staff member who greeted us and explained the expectations was very thorough and very kind. She also adjusted the level of explanation so that I and my mother could understand it better. The grounds were beautiful. As for the rooms, whether you want a one-room efficiency or something larger, they have a good variety available. Everything was very attractive. This community was convenient for people that could drive, too, since they have a lot right there for residents.

February 29, 2016

By Michael124791850

The people in Brookdale were very friendly. They showed me the different sections, explained to me the ability to stay there through hospice, and gave me some pricing information. It’s a nice place, the single room had a kitchenette with a microwave and a small refrigerator. The dining area was nice, and the food smelled good.

November 30, 2015

By Maria115208050

South Port Square was wonderful. They have apartments and rehab all together in one area. They go out of their way to explain things to you, and they answered all the questions. Their rehab facility was wonderful. I haven’t tried the food, but a resident I knew said the food was wonderful.

July 28, 2015

By Albert11

South Port Square was very big and very elegant. It's nice to visit, but it's more like visiting a metropolitan city and going to one of the better brands of hotel in that city, which was nice for a few days, but I don't think many of us would care to live there. There was too much formality and it was too luxurious. I did not try the food, but no doubt a great deal of effort was put into it. The quality of the food was in terms of restaurant qualifications, and the variety of choices was certainly excellent. The serving times were quite rigid, which was not surprising, and it can be a little daunting and disappointing. It's very close to the water, and it's very close to commercial areas in Port Charlotte. It's like a little tiny village in which there are quite a few residences like the one that I visited, hospitals, and institutions. It's quite a lovely area.

We’re delighted you visited South Port Square. Port Charlotte really is a wonderful area and we are just minutes away from restaurants, grocery stores, pharmacies, hospitals, doctor’s offices as well as various recreation activities. Our community also has a café that is open for breakfast and lunch between 7am-2pm for casual dining. Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions of our community.

June 15, 2015

By Ann108044050

South Port Square was an amazing facility. It would be an ideal place that you would want to retire to if you could afford it. The staff was absolutely superior. They were excellent. They did everything that they could do to make the visit a pleasant experience.

January 19, 2015

By anonymous100392450

I have visited the South Port Square. The rooms were nice, and they are of good size. It is a very good facility.

September 30, 2014

By Reida1

The one that I do like the most and I would consider going to, if I were going to go to one, would be South Port Square. I like it because it is laid out like a campus. It’s not a high-rise building. I like it because of all the activities they have. They have shows. They have dances where the residents can dance as well. They have aqua exercises and various things like that. You name it, they have it. It’s not cheap, but it’s a great place if you can afford it. The staff is friendly and wonderful. The rooms are lovely. They have loads of closet space. It’s a wonderful facility, and I would recommend it very highly. The food is wonderful at South Port Square. I’ve had meals there. They have 2 different restaurants. One is casual, and one is a little more formal. Any day if you want to have your big meal at lunch time, you can do that. If you want to have your big meal at dinner time, you can do that. You’re not locked into a definite schedule, so I like that.

July 31, 2014

I like South Port Square very much. The gentleman spent 4 more hours with me and my daughter. He took me all over, explained everything, financials, what they had, what it included. He brought me up to a lounge room where people were meeting every night and having a before-dinner drink. The people were lovely. What I had was very good. I only had one meal there but it was very, very good. The other thing that I liked about it is it's continuing care so that if you should get sick and need it for whatever reason, you don't have to go to another facility. They just take care of you right in your room. I like the idea of that. The grounds were lovely. The rooms were beautiful, very, very well-kept. It's not the cheapest place here. They did say to me if I like to come up and stay for 2 or 3 days, they'll make arrangements for me and I get to feel this place which I thought was a very good idea.

June 25, 2014

By LovelyLady13

My friend happened to have a room at South Port Square. It is a complex with independent living, senior care, and then nursing. I wasn't really happy with them. It was clean, and the staff was friendly, but I think it was more lip service than anything else. It is the most exclusive, the most expensive care facility in that area, so I just expected a lot more from them. We chose it because my friend wanted only the best and the most expensive or the most exclusive. The food was horrible. Every day they had some activities. They have a separate bedroom and living room, and there's a small kitchen and a small bath.

April 11, 2014

South Port Square is just so huge. They have single living apartments; they have homes. They have 6 or 7 tall several-story buildings. I wouldn't want anything that huge. The doctor tells me I have no knees, and it would be very difficult for me to get around, but if you really want to go there and have the money, it's very expensive. You could whistle for a cart or something to get you around. There are little ice cream shops around in there, and if you lived in a distant building, you would have to have a little cart to take you to their ice cream shop. Because it's so full all the time, you would actually have to know someone to let them into their unit. The rooms were more spacious, but they were very nice. You wouldn't be embarrassed to invite people to see you. It's very, very pleasant. It is really beautiful, and they just keep adding tall buildings all around.

December 27, 2013

By Diane17

I found South Port Square to be a wonderful facility. I moved in this facility three months ago and I just love it! It's a Brookdale. It's a big place, there are a lot of grounds here, yet I have never seen grounds kept that well. It's a retirement community but they do have assisted living. I'm in the retirement place. The people who work here are wonderful. They're great people! Evidently, the people who run it are also great! I have a bedroom, a living room and a little kitchen. It's wonderful. There is a lot of activities everyday. We eat in a dining room and food is good. They also have a little ice cream shop where you can go and have lunch and ice cream. It's very nice and very inexpensive. I certainly would recommend South Port Square.

November 29, 2013

By Mary48

South Port Square was a beautiful place and I am sure the patients were well taken care of. I had not tasted the food but it seemed to be wonderful and the guests said that it's very good. The staff that I had talked seemed extremely caring. They were wonderful in handling their patients. The only thing that we wondered about was that they seemed to be understaffed. We had been there a couple of times, there was nobody who answered the door for a while and a couple times, it took a while for me to get out of there because there was no one to let us out the door. That would be the scariest part. They needed more staff. I do know they had some entertainment especially on weekends they took their patients to another building or another part of the campus. I thought they were well qualified.

September 10, 2013

By Enid1

We just moved to South Port. We sleep here two nights and so far everybody is very helpful and friendly. The food is not bad, not terribly gourmet, but it is certainly good.

August 26, 2013

By Robert49

South Port Square was nice. They had everything that I liked. They even had a swimming pool. They had a lot of things going on. The food was very good and they had a beautiful dining room.

July 23, 2012

By Lolly2

I visited South Port Square of Port Charllotte and the average age there is 80. It's a smaller community. The people there are very caring and very nice. The people are very much look after each other. Actually, even though it wasn't as resortish as the other facility that I visited I would probably prefer this one. I think the staff in South Port Square is much more caring and the staff is more personal. Even though they have a few activities, they're not so much into them. The people though all of them are older they still help each other.
See all Continuing Care Retirement Community reviews (21) See fewer reviews

Questions about South Port Square

What ongoing training does the staff receive in dementia care?

Alzheimer's 1&2 with yearly updates, and heart felt connection training

What programs or activities does South Port Square offer to enrich residents' well-being?

We have many activities daily, we like to offer many different options to keep everyone busy and fulfill their personal purpose -activities include exercise, church services, arts and crafts, gaming, live entertainment, and many more!

What places are near South Port Square or within walking distance for assisted living residents to enjoy?

We have a beautiful campus that offers 40 acres of the prettiest Florida nature, several ponds throughout our campus, a pool, tennis courts, pickleball courts, a large resident garden, a dog park, a bistro, local banking, car wash area, and much more!

What transportation services does South Port Square offer to assisted living residents?

We offer transportation to doctor appointments Monday-Friday 8am-4pm

What makes the chef or dining program at South Port Square exceptional? What kind of menu can assisted living residents expect?

Our chef knows how to keep our dining options new and invigorating, with a touch of comfort foods. We have many options daily, and an always-available menu to offer with everyday favorites. We offer a menu chat weekly to review Resident favorites and allow our Residents to put in weekly requests.

What safety features or security measures does South Port Square offer to assisted living residents?

We have a locked Memory Care unit and security staff on-site 24 hours per day.

How does South Port Square keep residents' families informed about their loved ones?

We do calls to inform of any immediate updates, letters via US Mail, and keep our website updated for contact.

If South Port Square accepts dogs or cats, what indoor/outdoor areas can they enjoy?

We accept pets under 25 lbs, Residents may use the dog park or outside area to walk their pet

What ongoing senior care training does the staff receive?

Our staff receives annual required Florida training, including Alzheimer's training updated annually

What safety features or security measures does South Port Square provide to protect residents who wander?

We have a locked Memory Care unit, and offer 24/7 security

What programs or activities does South Port Square offer to keep residents engaged? How does the staff engage residents' long-term memories?

We have Activity staff assigned specifically to our Memory Care Unit, trained specifically with Residents in Memory Care with our heartfelt training.

Our Nurses assess whenever the need arises, and are available on-site 24/7. We also have a Health and Wellness Director that is on call 24/7 for any changes/needs, we regularly update assessments with and changes.

What techniques does South Port Square use to support memory care residents during mealtimes?

The staff has heart felt training and we provide assistance with meals, feeding as needed in the Memory Care

How does South Port Square keep residents' families informed about their loved ones' health?

Describe the neighborhood around South Port Square. Is it located in a residential neighborhood, a business district, a rural setting, or other type of locale?

We are in a residential neighborhood.

Is South Port Square affiliated with a hospital if more care is needed?

We are associated with a Skilled Nursing /Long Term Care Facility on our campus.

Costs for South Port Square

Training Areas

• Memory Care Training

• State Licenses: SNF1504096

About South Port Square

Upsize your possibilities and experiment with new hobbies, re-ignite your sense of purpose and enjoy new experiences and connections with interesting new friends.

At our continuing care retirement community (CCRC), you’ll have independent living, assisted living, memory care, and skilled nursing all on one campus. That means if you or your spouse needs more care later, you have the lifestyle you want, plus the care you need.

Maybe you’ll want to join a game of mahjong, or check out a woodworking class on campus. Here, you can. We’ll take care of housekeeping and lawn maintenance while you focus on what you want to do. Need a little inspiration? Check out some of these possibilities:

• Water volleyball
  • Art classes
  • Fitness classes
  • Foreign language classes (like Spanish and French)
  • Acrylic painting lessons
  • Coffee socials
  • Trips into downtown
  • Themed parties and happy hours
  • Gospel singing and live concerts

It’s maintenance-free living at it’s best. And that’s just a few of the activities on campus. You can head off campus to do a little shopping or visit the historic town of Punta Gorda and the Port Charlotte area.

And with a dozen floor plans to choose from, including studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom apartments, luxury retirement living comes with plenty of choices for your next home. Here are just a few of the features you’ll enjoy here:

• Basic utilities and maintenance are included—fewer bills mean fewer worries.
  • Private lanai available for select floor plans
  • Plenty of natural window light
  • Full-size kitchens with updated appliances available
  • Pet-friendly
  • Lots of storage
  • Freedom to make it your own?

For your peace of mind, there is staff on site 24 hours a day, seven days a week to be alerted to an emergency. And when it comes to last-minute maintenance issues, we’ve got that covered.

With our continuum of care options, you’ll be prepared with the care you might need down the road. If you need skilled nursing care while recovering from surgery, no problem. Need an extra hand with daily activities like medication management or dressing? We’ve got that, too.

That means you won’t have to change communities again, even if you or your spouse need more care later. You’ll be able to stay together, on the same campus close to friends, enjoying the same lifestyle in the community you already love.

Our Alzheimer's and dementia care community, also known as Clare Bridge, is rooted in “a person-centered approach”. That means we help our residents find a sense of belonging and purpose while also helping them preserve who they are.

Did you know our community offers both rental and Life Care options?

• For the rental CCRC option, you pay a monthly rental fee based on the level of care and services you need— with no buy-in fee. That means you or a loved one move into whatever level of care you need—for instance, assisted living or skilled nursing.
  • For the Life Care program, you’ve got two costs to consider, and even more financial gains. Let’s start with the upfront buy-in fee. The amount of the fee depends on your floor plan, services, and the Life Care contract you choose. It’s the buy-in fee that makes the Life Care guarantee possible.* The other cost is the monthly service fee, which is based on the type of accommodations and your level of care.
  • With our Life Care option, you can make your assets last longer with substantial health, financial and lifestyle benefits. And you get our care for life guarantee*. This unique benefit guarantees that even if your financial resources are eventually exhausted due to no fault of your own you’ll still have the care you need.*

Whether you choose a rental or Life Care option, our community has the lifestyle you want and the care you need.

The Life Care guarantee is subject to the terms and conditions of the Residency Contract.

South Port Square is a 40 acre campus with beautifully manicured landscaping and rich amenities. As a Continuing Care Retirement Community we offer Independent, Assisted, Skilled and Memory Care all in one convenient location.

Map of South Port Square