10 Assisted Living Facilities near Kelso, WA
Also serving communities of Castle Rock.
There are 10 Assisted Living Facilities in the Kelso area, with 2 in Kelso and 8 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Kelso is $1,880 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 34 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Kelso. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Kelso 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Longview with an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Kelso, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 10 Assisted Living Facilities in Kelso, WA
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Kelso
Originally inhabited by Native Americans from the Cowlitz tribe, Kelso is a modest-sized town in southwestern Washington that's home to about 1,500 people aged 65 and over. For the members of this population that need some help with daily living, there are two assisted living facilities located in town and an additional seven facilities nearby. In order to protect the health and safety of residents, the Washington State Department of Social and Health Services (DSHS) regulates and licenses these facilities in Kelso and other places throughout the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Kelso
- While Kelso gets a lot of rain, about 60 inches per year on average, mild temperatures in the summer allow active seniors to get outdoors often. The average low in January is 34 degrees, and the average high in July is comfortable 77 degrees.
- Kelso has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Kelso Senior Center Association (KSCA), an organization that provides programs to improve the quality of life for older adults as well as one senior center.
- Seniors in Kelso are served by several public transportation options. For local travel within Kelso and Longview, RiverCities Transit operates several bus routes with reduced fares for seniors. Long-distance travel is available on Amtrak and at Southwest Washington Regional Airport.
- Washington state does not have any personal income tax, so seniors in Kelso can put more of their money from Social Security, pensions or retirement accounts towards assisted living.
- The cost of living in Kelso is very similar to many other parts of the United States, just 0.5% below the national average of 100. It is, however, significantly more affordable than the Washington state average which may be appealing to seniors who wish to stay in the state.
- Kelso has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Longview.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Kelso
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Washington
Assisted Living costs in Kelso start around $1,880 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Kelso and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Kelso
Seniors in Kelso have several financial aid options to help pay for care at an assisted living facility, but they are only available through the state's Medicaid system. The Medicaid Personal Care(MPC) program, Community First Choice Option (CFCO) program and Washington Medicaid COPES Waiver all provide funding for support services but not room or board.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Washington page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Kelso
Kelso and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Kelso, please visit our Assisted Living in Washington page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Kelso
Kelso-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Washington are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Washington page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Kelso, WA
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Kelso
Review of Highlander Place
We chose the Highlander Place for my mother, and she's moving there. The rooms have everything that you can use, and you would need in them. They're very nice, we got Mom one that looks out the gar... Read more
Review of Highlander Place
We took a tour of the Highlander Place. They don't have a lot of nursing care. I met two of the staff members, and they were nice, caring, and very nice to deal with. It's nice, neat, and clean, an... Read more
Review of Highlander Place
My mom moved into Highlander Place and the experience is very good. The place is very nice. They play bingo, do exercise stuff, play puzzles and all kinds of little things in there. There is always... Read more