1 Assisted Living Facility in Decatur, TX
The average cost of assisted living in Decatur is $2,255 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,425.
To help you with your search, browse the 5 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Decatur. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Decatur 4.2 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Azle with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Decatur, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Decatur
The Sid Richardson Scout Ranch hosts get-togethers for Boy Scouts every year in Decatur, Texas, while the Wildwood Naturist's Resort is open year-round and accepts members of all ages, including seniors from the lone assisted living community in the nearby town.
In Decatur and all of Texas, regulation of residential care facilities occurs through the Texas Department of Health and Human Services for Type A or B facilities. Type A is for assisted living communities, which offer residents basic room and board and emergency response at a minimum, but which are free to offer additional amenities like group trips and community events. Staff at these communities also help residents with activities of daily living (ADLs) such as dressing and personal care. Type B is for seniors who require a higher and more specific level of care.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Decatur
- Decatur's weather is basically the same as nearby Denton. Summer highs reach 96 degrees Fahrenheit in summer, but lows average 33 degrees Fahrenheit in winter. Cold and dry winter weather can be uncomfortable for seniors with COPD or other respiratory issues, though 38 inches of rain helps to keep the dust down.
- The cost of living in Decatur, Texas, varies, depending on what's being paid for. Seniors who shop for groceries are likely to pay only 94 percent of the average cost in the United States, though health care services here can be up to 23 percent more expensive than the national average.
- There's no income tax in Texas, but a sales tax of between 6.25 and 8.25 percent raises the cost of items seniors buy for themselves. Aging citizens who drive pay a 20 cent gas tax on every gallon they buy.
- Crime is just a bit higher than the national average in Decatur. In most categories, including those that affect seniors most, Decatur isn't far from national rates, though the city is capable of going an entire decade without a single homicide.
- Public transportation in Decatur, Texas, is in the hands of a joint program run by Transdev and TAPS. This service provides curb-to-curb rides for local seniors, as well as for residents with disabilities and those who need point-to-point trips that can be scheduled in advance. Connections are available for trips into Houston, where public transportation is handled by the Trinity Metro network of buses and light rail.
- The Decatur area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Wise Health System, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
Paying for Assisted Living in Decatur
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Texas
Assisted Living costs in Decatur start around $2,255 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Decatur and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Decatur
Seniors who need help paying the cost of assisted living can apply for Texas' Medicaid waiver program, STAR+PLUS.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Texas page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Decatur
Decatur and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Decatur, please visit our Assisted Living in Texas page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Decatur
Decatur-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Texas are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Texas page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Decatur
Review of Governor's Ridge
My mother has been living in Governor's Ridge for about four years, and they are like family to her. She has all kinds of activities to be involved in, and the service she receives from the staff h... Read more
Review of Governor's Ridge
My dad is on the waiting list for Governor's Ridge. I liked the facility. I thought it was fine, and the person who took me on a tour did a very good job. It looked very clean. They were taking the... Read more
Review of Governor's Ridge
I would like to thank each and every employee for their loving care during our stay at Governor’s Ridge. The facility is first class but the outstanding feature was the employee’s dedication to ser... Read more