4 Assisted Living Facilities near Candler, NC
There are 4 Assisted Living Facilities in the Candler area, with 3 in Candler and 1 nearby.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Candler, call (855) 863-8283.
3 Assisted Living Facilities in Candler, NC
1 Assisted Living Facility near Candler, NC
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Candler
Candler is located in the far western region of North Carolina in Buncombe County, where seniors account for about 20% of the 260,000 population. It is home to the Enka-Candler Library, which is a branch of the Buncombe County Public Library system. Here, seniors can participate in book clubs, access public computers and free WiFi and receive research help.
Candler seniors who need assistance with some activities of daily living may transition to one of the region's four assisted living facilities, three of which are in the city proper and one that's located in nearby Canton. These facilities are officially called assisted living residences, and they're governed by the North Carolina Division of Health Service Regulation.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Candler
Candler's crime rate is higher than the national median, so seniors may want to seek out an assisted living facility that prioritizes resident safety through the use of modern security technology like surveillance cameras. On a 100-point crime index, Candler's property crime is 63.2, and the violent crime rate is 31.2.
- Candler's overall cost of living is a little higher than state and national averages, which may be a concern for seniors with limited means. On average, living expenses here cost about 9% more than in the nation as a whole and 13% more than in the rest of the state.
- Over the course of the year, high temperatures in Candler range between 47 degrees and 84 degrees, which makes it one of the coolest cities in North Carolina. Seniors may want to find an assisted living facility that has outdoor common areas where they can enjoy the weather.
- Candler's air quality is very good, so seniors who enjoy being outside can breathe easy, even if they have conditions like heart disease or COPD. On a 100-point health index, the city's air quality is rated 73, which is 15 points higher than the national average.
- All Social Security benefits are exempt from state income tax in the Candler region, though seniors pay a flat income tax rate on other types of retirement income. This may affect how much money they can put toward senior care expenses.
- The Candler area has no facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Asheville.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Candler
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in North Carolina
Assisted Living costs in Candler start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Candler and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Candler
In Candler, seniors who are unable to afford assisted living services may be eligible for coverage through NC Medicaid.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Candler
Candler and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Candler, please visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Candler
Candler-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in North Carolina are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in North Carolina page for more information about these laws.