2 Assisted Living Facilities near Elmira, NY
Also serving communities of Horseheads, Painted Post, Montour Falls.
There are 2 Assisted Living Facilities in the Elmira area, with 1 in Elmira and 1 nearby.
To help you with your search, browse the 8 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Elmira. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Elmira 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Elmira, call (855) 863-8283.
1 Assisted Living Facility in Elmira, NY
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Elmira
Located along the south-central border of New York State, next to the Chemung River, Elmira is a small city with a population of 28,583, 12 percent of whom are 50 years or older. The Chemung River flows through the city and Eldridge Park, which provides an excellent outing for seniors looking to take a pleasant morning walk. Its small-town feel makes Elmira an excellent place to settle.
Seniors retiring in Elmira have one option for assisted living within the city and two facilities close by in Horseheads and Millerton; all three are regulated by the New York State Department of Health. There are three different types of facilities: adult homes, assisted living residences (ALRs) and enriched housing programs. Individuals living in ALRs receive the highest level of care, including 24-hour on-site monitoring in a homelike setting.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Elmira
- The Elmira area is home to several world-class medical facilities, including St. Joseph’s Hospital, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Elmira has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Chemung County Department of Aging, an organization that helps support and empower senior citizens within the city as well as two senior centers.
- When compared to the national average, the cost of living in Elmira is 16.9 percent lower, making this city ideal for senior citizens who are living on a strict budget.
- Elmira experiences four very distinct seasons throughout the year, which is perfect for seniors who enjoy experiencing both the heat of the summer and the colder temperatures of winter. In July, the average daytime high is around 82 degrees Fahrenheit, while the January low is around 15 degrees. For seniors who enjoy the snow, Elmira gets approximately 39 inches per year.
- Although the crime rate in Elmira is eight percent lower than other cities in the state, the overall crime rate is 47 percent higher than the national average. This may be worrisome for seniors who enjoy taking walks in the park alone or day trips for errands without a friend.
- The Chemung County Transit Department offers the Handi Bus for individuals with disabilities or those ages 60 and older. Seniors with a Medicaid card may also ride for half price on regular bus routes.
Paying for Assisted Living in Elmira
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in New York
Assisted Living costs in Elmira start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Elmira and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Elmira
Help to pay for an assisted living residence is provided to eligible seniors through the Medicaid State Plan. This program is referred to as the Assisted Living Program (ALP) and is available for seniors who are eligible for nursing home placement but can still benefit from a lower cost setting. It pays for a variety of services, including personal care, room, board and individual nursing, and is limited to 4,200 individuals. Approximately 85 percent of those in the ALP are Medicaid recipients.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in New York page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Elmira
Elmira and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Elmira, please visit our Assisted Living in New York page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Elmira
Elmira-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in New York are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in New York page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Elmira
Review of Woodbrook
Woodbrook is one of the cleanest, friendliest and nicest assisted living facility you can find in the Southern Tier. My father-in-law lived there till he passed, and we visited many, many times. It... Read more
Review of Woodbrook
Woodbrook's grounds were nice and the rooms were big. The facility was all on one level, so it afforded more indoor walking. The dining area was good and very acceptable, and the menu was excellent. Read more