2 Assisted Living Facilities in Wahoo, NE
The average cost of assisted living in Wahoo is $1,550 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 5 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Wahoo. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Wahoo 4.8 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Wahoo, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Wahoo
Wahoo is a charming city in Nebraska and home to the fascinating Saunders County Museum. It may be attractive to seniors' looking for assisted living facilities in a city that's steeped in history. The city has a population of 287,401 with 12.5 percent senior citizens. There are six assisted living residences in Wahoo and more than five in the surrounding areas to provide the senior population with services such as food, shelter and assistance with activities of daily living.
In Wahoo, assisted living communities are designated as assisted living residences and are regulated by the Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Wahoo
- The cost of living in Wahoo is 3.2% lower than the U.S. average with the average monthly cost of assisted living facilities being relatively lower compared to the state median and nearby areas like Lincoln, thus making it reasonably affordable for seniors looking for assisted facilities in the city.
- There are fewer cases of property crime in Wahoo, which has a rate of 22.4 compared to the state average of 35.4. Seniors may feel a little safer in Wahoo compared to surrounding cities like Lincoln where the property crime rate is 47.5.
- Winters are harsh in Wahoo city with temperature lows of 12 degrees or less. However, it has 218 sunny days compared to the US average of 205 days, which may be good news for aging citizens who enjoy outdoor activities.
- Wahoo city has several arts and cultural centers that seniors may find enjoyable. Some of the city attractions include historical sites such as the Thorpe Opera House, Saunders County Historical Society Museum, and the Makovicka Winery.
- The Wahoo area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Saunders Medical Center, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Wahoo city has an array of community resources for seniors, including the Wahoo Senior Center, an organization that helps senior citizens in matters relating to nutrition, fitness and health, recreation, transportation and volunteering as well as the Saunders House senior centers.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Wahoo
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Nebraska
Assisted Living costs in Wahoo start around $1,550 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Wahoo and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Wahoo
One of the programs where seniors may get financial assistance is the Aged & Disabled Waiver, a Medicaid-sponsored subsidy offered by the Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services to assist the elderly with basic services, including independence training and caregiver relief in-home help as well as plan and provider coordination.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Nebraska page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Nebraska page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Wahoo
Wahoo and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Wahoo, please visit our Assisted Living in Nebraska page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Wahoo
Wahoo-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Nebraska are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Nebraska page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Wahoo
Review of Saunders House
I can not say enough good words to fully describe the outstanding care and service the staff at Saunders House provided for my Dad while he was a resident there. Everyone I was in contact with,the ... Read more
Review of Saunders House
I visited Saunders House. We liked the layout because it was built around a courtyard. The rooms were very nice. The person who took us on a tour was very nice, too. However, they had room avaliabl... Read more
Review of Saunders House
I liked that Saunders House was small. They had exercises, a library, and a nice, big front porch that the residents could sit out on. It was nice; it was just too far away from where I live. The d... Read more