3 Assisted Living Facilities near Tupelo, MS
Also serving communities of Saltillo, Ecru, New Albany.
There are 3 Assisted Living Facilities in the Tupelo area, with 2 in Tupelo and 1 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Tupelo is $2,850 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,395.
To help you with your search, browse the 5 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Tupelo. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Tupelo 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Tupelo, call (855) 863-8283.
2 Assisted Living Facilities in Tupelo, MS
1 Assisted Living Facility near Tupelo, MS
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Tupelo
The birthplace of Elvis Presley and the first city to receive power from the Tennessee Valley Authority, Tupelo is considered one of the state's cultural, industrial and commercial hubs. The city has a population of approximately 38,200 people — 14.5% of whom are over the age of 65. To care for this sizable senior population there are three assisted living facilities in the Tupelo area. In Mississippi, these are officially known as personal care homes and are overseen by the Mississippi Department of Human Services.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Tupelo
- According to the National Air Toxics Assessment, Tupelo has an air quality rating 8 points below the national average. This leads to an increased risk of developing respiratory diseases in the area. For seniors with a history of breathing issues or compromised immune systems, this makes Tupelo a less than an ideal place to live.
- The cost of living in Tupelo is 19 points below the national average and 7% below the state average, making it an economical area to stay in, but seniors may want to note that the cost of health care is slightly higher than both the state and national means.
- With a violent crime rate of 16.9, Tupelo falls well below the national average of 22.7. However, its property crime rate of 68.3 is almost double the national mean and considerably higher than the rest of the state. Security minded seniors may want to take this into consideration.
- Summer highs in Tupelo can reach the low 90s with considerable humidity, making it less than ideal for seniors sensitive to the heat. However, winter lows there rarely drop below freezing, and only averaging 1 inch of snow a year makes the city's climate attractive to seniors wanting to avoid the cold.
- Public transportation in Tupelo is only available from 5:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Fares run $2 each way, and curb-to-curb service is available with 48 hours' notice. There is no seniors discount available, so non-driving seniors may want to take these limitations into account.
- Being home to the Carron Gallery, Gumtree Museum of Art and having a very active community theater group, Tupelo has much to offer active seniors with a taste for the arts and cultural events.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Tupelo
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Mississippi
Assisted Living costs in Tupelo start around $2,850 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Tupelo and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Tupelo
In Tupelo, as with most of Mississippi, there is little help available for seniors needing help paying for assisted living facilities. The state does offer one Medicaid Waiver Program. The 1915(c) Assisted Living Program does not pay room and board but does offer help with other expenses such as medication management and house-keeping services. Slots are limited and filled on a first-come, first-serve bases.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Tupelo
Tupelo and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Tupelo, please visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Tupelo
Tupelo-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Mississippi are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Tupelo
Review of AvonLea of Tupelo
Avon Lea was very clean, well-managed and organized. The seniors were well taken care of, and there were quite a few activities that they could participate in. Church was held in the common room fo... Read more
Review of AvonLea of Tupelo
My grandmother is 80 and has the beginning stages of Alzheimer's disease, and I am her caretaker. Her best friend of 50 years is a resident of AvonLea, and we go visit her once a week. AvonLea is a... Read more
Review of AvonLea of Tupelo
My mother-in-law was a resident of this facility. I've visited the place as well a couple of times and I really love the place. It really works for her. They have very nice & caring people. It ... Read more