2 Assisted Living Facilities in Waynesboro, MS
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Waynesboro. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Waynesboro 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Waynesboro, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Waynesboro
The county seat of Wayne County, Waynesboro is a small town located in southeast Mississippi close to the Alabama line. According to the 2018 census, the city has a population of 4,872 people—42% of whom live below the poverty line and 11.8% of whom are over the age of 65. Serving this small senior population, there are two assisted living facilities licensed by the Mississippi Department of Human Services
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Waynesboro
- For seniors who enjoy getting outdoors, Waynesboro's climate could be considered welcoming compared to much of the country. Winter lows in January only drop to around 35 degrees; however, summers can be quite hot and humid with July highs reaching the low 90s.
- Security-minded seniors may find Waynesboro a less than ideal local. The violent crime rate is almost six full points above the national median and 11 points above the state average. Property crime rates are below the norm for Mississippi but run close to those of the nation as a whole.
- The cost of living in Waynesboro is 20% below the U.S. average and 7.8 points lower than the state norm. This could be good news for seniors living on a limited budget since lower healthcare costs account for a portion of these savings.
- According to the EPA's National Air Toxics Assessment, Waynesboro has an air quality rating six points below the national average. For those with pulmonary issues or compromised immune systems, this could be a deterrent to settling in the vicinity.
- Waynesboro has few facilities from which to choose in the event of a medical emergency or illness, with the nearest major hospital located in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
- Waynesboro has a sizable public library but offers very little in terms of arts, entertainment or cultural activities. Seniors who enjoy getting out and participating in these types of enrichment programs may wish to reconsider retiring in this area. There are no public transportation options available.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Waynesboro
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Mississippi
Assisted Living costs in Waynesboro start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Waynesboro and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Waynesboro
In Waynesboro, Mississippi, there is very little financial assistance available for seniors who need help paying for ALF care. The state offers the 1915(c) Medicaid Waiver Program, which can help offset some living expenses, but it does not cover room and board. In Mississippi, this program is not considered an entitlement, so slots are limited and filled on a first come, first served basis.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Waynesboro
Waynesboro and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Waynesboro, please visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Waynesboro
Waynesboro-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Mississippi are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Waynesboro
Review of Southern Living Specialty Care
This is a wonderful facility. All of the elderly people there are actually happy. They have great cooks, individual rooms, and a living area that is out of this world. One of the things that really... Read more