3 Assisted Living Facilities in Oxford, MS
The average cost of assisted living in Oxford is $3,210 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400. Cheaper nearby regions include Batesville with an average starting cost of $2,968.
To help you with your search, browse the 9 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Oxford. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Oxford 3.8 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Batesville with an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 6 families in Oxford find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Oxford, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Oxford
Active seniors find much to appreciate in Oxford, Mississippi, which enjoys a reputation as the Cultural Mecca of the South for its thriving creative community as well as being a Certified Retirement City. Oxford earned this designation after an intensive three-month-long screening process that found the city offers all of the features most sought by retirees.
Adults aged 65 and over make up approximately 11.4% of Oxford’s population of about 25,000. To support these senior residents when they need help with daily activities but wish to live as independently as possible, Oxford provides three personal care homes. Mississippi’s Division of Health Facilities Licensure and Certification regulates all such assisted living facilities in Oxford and throughout the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Oxford
- Seniors who don’t enjoy wet weather may wish to consider that Oxford receives an average annual rainfall of 59 inches. July and August can be uncomfortably warm, with the high in August averaging 92 degrees. This makes Oxford warmer than most places in Mississippi.
- Oxford seniors enjoy a favorable income tax environment, with Mississippi holding the No. 4 spot on the 2018 Kiplinger list of the 10 most tax-friendly states for retirees. Seniors are not taxed on Social Security benefits or income from IRAs, 401(k) plans, and public and private pensions.
- Seniors may find it hard to be bored in Oxford thanks to the packed calendar of annual festivals and events. The city boasts a vibrant arts and music scene that includes a comedy troupe, a professional dance company, the Lafayette-Oxford-University Symphony Orchestra and the University of Mississippi Choirs.
- The Oxford area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi, in the event of medical emergencies or illness.
- Seniors living in Oxford who don’t drive are eligible for a free transportation service provided by the City of Oxford and Lafayette County. The 5310 Elderly & Disabled Transportation program provides door-to-door rides to doctor’s appointments, grocery stores and other essential errands.
- Oxford’s violent crime score of 13.6 is significantly lower than the U.S. average of 22.7, which may put seniors and their families at ease. Oxford’s property crime rate of 38 is slightly higher than the national average of 35.4.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Oxford
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Mississippi
Assisted Living costs in Oxford start around $3,210 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Oxford and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Oxford
Low-income seniors in Oxford may be eligible for financial aid to help pay for personal care and other supportive services in assisted living communities through Mississippi’s Assisted Living (AL) Waiver. The program does not cover room and board costs, however.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Oxford
Oxford and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Oxford, please visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Oxford
Oxford-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Mississippi are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Oxford
Review of Elmcroft of Oxford
My mother is at the Elmcroft of Oxford. The atmosphere is very positive. The staff is very helpful. The rooms are very nice, neat, and clean. The food is very good. They're one of the best that I c... Read more
Review of Hermitage Gardens of Oxford
Hermitage Gardens of Oxford was very good and clean. The person who showed me around answered all of my questions. The dining room was like sitting down with a family. Read more
Review of Elmcroft of Oxford
Brookdale Oxford is nice. They have a lot of off-site activities. I was most impressed with the activities they have for their residents. The apartments are a little dated but nice. Their staff is ... Read more