3 Assisted Living Facilities in Columbus, MS
Also serving communities of Aberdeen, Starkville, Mathiston.
The average cost of assisted living in Columbus is $2,355 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,395.
To help you with your search, browse the 14 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Columbus. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Columbus 4.4 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Columbus, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Columbus
Some of Columbus’ retirees may realize that they need help to live independently. The city’s three assisted living communities are ready to provide this help. The Mississippi Department of Health regulates and inspects assisted living facilities in Columbus and throughout the state to ensure seniors are well cared for.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Columbus
- The Columbus area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Baptist Golden Triangle, in the event of medical emergencies and illness.
- Columbus has an array of community resources for seniors, including Methodist Senior Services, a faith-based organization that offers information, support and many other services to seniors, as well as one senior center.
- With no public transit service in Columbus, seniors may have difficulty getting around the city. One source of help is the Lowndes County Council on Aging’s Dial-A-Bus service. This bus takes seniors to their medical appointments, and when space is available, the seniors can use it for shopping and personal trips.
- Columbus is much sunnier than the typical American city, so retirees can spend plenty of time outdoors. The city receives 217 days of sunny weather every year, about two weeks more than the U.S. average. Winter lows can drop to the freezing mark, and trace amounts of snow may fall in January and February, so seniors may sometimes prefer to stay inside.
- Mississippi’s tax policies are among some of the most retiree-friendly in the country. Seniors who live in Columbus don’t pay any state income tax on their retirement income, so they may have extra money for assisted living and other needs. There’s one drawback: the state’s sales tax is relatively high at 7%, and there’s no exemption for groceries.
- While Columbus’ crime rate is higher than about three-quarters of communities in the state, it’s still a relatively safe place to live. The violent crime rate is lower than the national average, which may provide some peace of mind for retirees and their loved ones.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Columbus
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Mississippi
Assisted Living costs in Columbus start around $2,355 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Columbus and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Columbus
The state of Mississippi offers financial assistance for assisted living through a home and community-based services waiver. The Assisted Living waiver pays for a number of services that may be provided in Columbus’ assisted living communities, including personal care and medication oversight.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Columbus
Columbus and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Columbus, please visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Columbus
Columbus-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Mississippi are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Columbus
Review of Trinity Place Retirement Community
My mother is at Trinity Place, and things are pretty good. Her room is spacious and clean. The food and staff are very good. There are a lot of activities, like bingo, and they take them places. Th... Read more
Review of Garden Hill Assisted Living
I had to opportunity to visit the facility and joined in an activity called "community BINGO'. The laughter during this activity was plentiful. What impressed me most was the interaction of the re... Read more
Review of Garden Hill Assisted Living
Garden Hill is a beautiful facility and immaculate. The staff are friendly, professional, respectful, and attentive. I visit a friend and she is very happy and engaged in living at Garden Hill. I'm... Read more