9 Assisted Living Facilities near Tuscaloosa, AL
Also serving communities of Moundville.
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Tuscaloosa area, with 7 in Tuscaloosa and 2 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Tuscaloosa is $2,351 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,500.
To help you with your search, browse the 47 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Tuscaloosa. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Tuscaloosa 4.3 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Northport with an average rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Tuscaloosa, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Tuscaloosa, AL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Tuscaloosa
Tuscaloosa is located west central Alabama on the Black Warrior River. It has a population of 100,000 residents, 11 percent of which are seniors age 65 and over. To serve this population, Tuscaloosa is home to seven assisted living communities and there are an additional two located nearby. Assisted living communities in Tuscaloosa can be divided into two categories, depending on the level of care they provide.Assisted living facilities provide care for two or more individuals who need assistance with the activities of daily living.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Tuscaloosa
- Tuscaloosa experiences 214 sunny days each year, compared to the national average of 205 sunny days annually. The city has a hot climate, with average July highs reaching into the low-90s.
- The air quality in Tuscaloosa is very low, meaning that there is a high concentration of hazardous air pollutants. This may be a concern for seniors with respiratory illnesses.
- While the overall cost of living in Tuscaloosa is relatively high compared to other Alabama cities, it's lower than the nation’s average. Seniors can expect to spend more on groceries, utilities and miscellaneous expenses than they would in other cities, but they may spend less on health care than they would in cities outside of Alabama.
- The overall crime rate in Tuscaloosa is higher than both state and national averages. Property crime in Tuscaloosa is 37 percent higher than the state average and violent crime in this city is about 10 percent higher.
- Tuscaloosa has a bus and trolley system that is operated by the Tuscaloosa Transit Authority. There are seven routes, making it easy for seniors to navigate the city. Tuscaloosa is also home to the FOCUS Transportation Department. For an affordable fee, FOCUS provides transportation to medical appointments, social services offices and grocery stores.
- The Tuscaloosa area is home to world-class medical facilities, including the DCH Regional Medical Center and Noland Hospital Tuscaloosa.
Paying for Assisted Living in Tuscaloosa
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Alabama
Assisted Living costs in Tuscaloosa start around $2,351 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Tuscaloosa and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Tuscaloosa
Eligible seniors in Tuscaloosa have access to two government programs to help pay for assisted living: Supplemental Security Income - Category G and Medicaid. Currently, along with the State Medicaid Plan, there are three Medicaid waivers, including the Elderly and Disabled (E & D) Medicaid Waiver, the State of Alabama Independent Living (SAIL) Medicaid Waiver and the Alabama Community Transition (ACT) Medicaid Waiver.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Tuscaloosa
Tuscaloosa and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Tuscaloosa, please visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Tuscaloosa
Tuscaloosa-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Alabama are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Tuscaloosa, AL
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Tuscaloosa
Review of Morning Pointe of Tuscaloosa
I have chosen Morning Pointe for my parents. It's beautiful and very clean. The staff and administration are all very caring people. They seem to actually care about not only the residents, but the... Read more
Review of Regency Retirement Village - Tuscaloosa
We routinely get chips and cold soggy sandwiches for dinner. Lunch is not any better! The meals are not healthy, not appetizing, and thus, we are not getting the service we pay for!! Read more
Review of Morning Pointe of Tuscaloosa
My mother-in-law was at Morning Pointe of Tuscaloosa for a while. I last visited three years ago. I really love them. That's probably my favorite place of all. They said they would try her in the a... Read more