9 Assisted Living Facilities near Northport, AL
There are 9 Assisted Living Facilities in the Northport area, with 2 in Northport and 7 nearby.
The average cost of assisted living in Northport is $2,595 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,480. Cheaper nearby regions include Tuscaloosa with an average starting cost of $2,351.
To help you with your search, browse the 45 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Northport. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Northport 4.6 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped 5 families in Northport find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Northport, call (855) 863-8283.
Top 5 Assisted Living Facilities in Northport, AL
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Northport
Northport is a small city in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. It's charming, historic downtown streets, along with the various art galleries and museums, make it a great city for retirement. In fact, nearly 15% of the city's 26,000 residents are senior citizens aged 65 or older.
To accommodate Northport's aging population, there are two assisted living facilities located in the city and an additional seven can be found in surrounding cities and towns. In Northport and throughout the state of Alabama, these facilities are closely monitored by the Alabama Department of Public Health.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Northport
- The air quality in Northport and throughout Tuscaloosa county is excellent according to the American Lung Association. That means the threat to those with respiratory or cardiovascular problems is minimal.
- Seniors can travel safely throughout Northport and its surrounding areas using the Tuscaloosa Transit Authority, which offers easy access options to those with mobility issues and reduced fares for senior citizens.
- The Northport area is home to world-class medical facilities, including Northport Medical Center, in case of illness or medical emergencies.
- Seniors on limited budgets should find that Northport is rather affordable. The cost of living in the city is slightly less than the national average.
- With an average of 53 inches of rain per year and an average high temperature in July of 92 degrees, summers in Northport can be hot and humid. Some seniors tend to find this weather uncomfortable and excessive rain can result in less opportunity to enjoy outdoor hobbies.
- When compared with the rest of the state, crime rates in Northport are much lower. For every 1,000 residents, only 1.87 violent crimes occur in Northport, compared to a state average of 5.24 violent crimes per 1,000 residents. Seniors and their loved ones can feel safer in Northport than in many other Alabama cities.
Note: Data reported on this page was updated in 2019 and based on the latest 2018 figures.
Paying for Assisted Living in Northport
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Alabama
Assisted Living costs in Northport start around $2,595 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Northport and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Northport
At this time, Alabama doesn't offer Medicaid or state-funded financial assistance programs to help seniors in Northport pay for the cost of assisted living.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Northport
Northport and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Northport, please visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Northport
Northport-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Alabama are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Alabama page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Northport
Review of Northport
Brookdale Northport has everything that my mother needs and they've been able to take care of anything I needed. Her apartment has a living room, a bedroom, and a kitchenette. You could also have a... Read more
Review of Northport
Brookdale Northport is nice and very clean, and it doesn't have any old folk's smell to it. Some of the staff members are better than others, and most of them are fairly knowledgeable. Some of the ... Read more
Review of Northport
We visited Brookdale, and we preferred it to others. The staff was extremely helpful, accommodating, and they made some suggestions on funding. The grounds were good, and with well-manicured green ... Read more