3 Assisted Living Facilities in Meridian, MS
The average cost of assisted living in Meridian is $2,397 per month. This is lower than the national median of $3,400.
To help you with your search, browse the 10 reviews below for assisted living facilities in Meridian. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Meridian 3.9 out of 5 stars. Better rated regions include Philadelphia with an average rating of 4.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Meridian, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Meridian
Meridian is the sixth largest city in Mississippi. Home to Bonita Lakes Park and Lakeview Golf Course, Meridian is known for its beautiful walking paths and scenery. Of Meridian's nearly 40,000 residents, 14 percent are over the age of 65. There are two assisted living facilities in Meridian and another three in the surrounding areas of Union and Newton. The Mississippi Department of Health, Health Facilities Licensure and Certification is responsible for licensing and regulating all assisted living facilities throughout the state.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Meridian
- Mississippi is tax-friendly for retirees. All retirement income, including Social Security, pension and retirement savings accounts, is tax-exempt. Seniors can use the money saved on taxes to help pay for the cost of assisted living.
- Meridian's overall cost of living is 20.4 percent lower than the national average. Seniors living in the area can save a great deal of money on expenses such as health and transportation.
- The climate in Meridian is hot and humid during the summer. The area experiences 56 inches of rainfall each year, which is 17 inches above the national average. July high temperatures average out at 91 degrees while the national average is 86.1 degrees. Seniors who are sensitive to heat or uncomfortable climates may find summers in Meridian unbearable.
- Meridian is home to world-class medical facilities, including Anderson Regional Medical Center, in case of medical emergencies or illness.
- Meridian has high crime rates and seniors may feel unsafe living in the area. 46.35 property crimes and 5.98 violent crimes occur per 1,000 residents in the city. By comparison, the state averages are 27.68 property crimes and 2.8 violent crimes per 1,000 residents.
- Public transportation in Meridian is available only during certain days and times each week and must be booked in advance. This may be inconvenient for seniors who need to attend appointments or visit family, as they may need to rely on transportation from other sources such as family or friends.
Paying for Assisted Living in Meridian
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Mississippi
Assisted Living costs in Meridian start around $2,295 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Meridian and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Meridian
Seniors living in Meridian's assisted living facilities may be eligible to have the cost of services covered by Medicaid under the state's 1915(c) waiver.
Mississippi does not provide any Medicaid coverage to pay for the cost of room and board and does not offer an optional supplement to Supplemental Security Income.
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Meridian
Meridian and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Meridian, please visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Meridian
Meridian-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Mississippi are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Mississippi page for more information about these laws.
Other Options in Meridian, MS
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Meridian
Review of Brookdale Meridian
This cost is to much they charge for everything separate they don't care for the ppl in memory care they don't clean the carpets they don't have good food they don't take to ppl nowhere some of th... Read more
Review of Brookdale Meridian
Formerly Emeritus, Brookdale took over this facility a couple of years ago. They did a great job remodeling the entire facility however the same problem that has evidently existed for years has not... Read more
Review of Brookdale Meridian
Brookdale picked me up and showed me around the facility, then helped me move. The cleanliness is great. The staff wakes me up early in the morning. They are very friendly and great. The food is go... Read more