3 Assisted Living Facilities in Two Harbors, MN
To help you with your search, browse the 1 review below for assisted living facilities in Two Harbors. On average, consumers rate assisted living in Two Harbors 5.0 out of 5 stars.
Caring.com has helped thousands of families find high-quality senior care. To speak with one of our Family Advisors about assisted living options and costs in Two Harbors, call (855) 863-8283.
What to Consider About Assisted Living in Two Harbors
Two Harbors is a tiny community of about 3,500 on the shores of Lake Superior. Much of its architecture is from before World War II, which may tantalize history buffs. Of course, the appeal of the area’s lakes, rivers and trails may be greater, what with the variety of picnicking, hiking and kayaking opportunities.
Seniors interested in Two Harbors will find at least three assisted living facilities, and in Duluth, which is about a 35-minute drive down Route 61, there are 30 more. The Health Regulation Division in Minnesota decides whether a facility can call itself assisted living, and a facility must meet requirements for a home care agency and housing with services establishment.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Assisted Living in Two Harbors
- Living in Two Harbors means lots of snow — to the tune of 57 inches per year on average. It also means fewer sunny days than the U.S. average, 182 compared with 205. Winters feature January lows of 3 degrees Fahrenheit, which might worry some seniors. On the other hand, the summers can be great, with July highs of about 75 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Seniors' dollars might stretch a bit further in Two Harbors than they do in other places. This is particularly true when it comes to housing, as in Two Harbors it costs significantly less than the national average. However, the cost of health care in Two Harbors is higher than average.
- Two Harbors does not exactly overflow with arts and culture opportunities. However, there are a few art galleries in neighboring communities, such as Knife River, and Duluth provides a nice range of choices. The outdoors is where Two Harbors shines, and it offers the Lakeview National Golf Course, Gooseberry Falls State Park, Split Rock Lighthouse State Park and Tettegouche State Park. The parks serve up lighthouses, waterfalls, breathtaking views, beaches, wildlife, hiking and skiing.
- Two Harbors is safer than 84 percent of U.S. cities. The chances of becoming a victim of a violent crime are 1 in 412 in Minnesota and just 1 in 3,562 in Two Harbors.
- Two Harbors is not overly walkable, as evidenced by its walk score of 45 out of 100. It does offer Dial-A-Ride transit, which includes service to Duluth and Knife River via Arrowhead Transit.
- Minnesota has an income tax, so your retirement plans, income and pension payments may be subject to taxation.
Paying for Assisted Living in Two Harbors
Average Monthly Costs
Cities in Minnesota
Assisted Living costs in Two Harbors start around $0 per month on average, while the nationwide average cost of assisted living is $4,000 per month, according to the latest figures from Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey.
It’s important to note that assisted living rates in Two Harbors and the surrounding suburbs can vary widely based on factors such as location, the level of care needed, apartment size and the types of amenities offered at each community.
Financial Assistance for Assisted Living in Two Harbors
Learn more about these programs, plus who’s eligible, on our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
More Ways to Pay for Assisted Living
While many families use their own funds or personal assets to pay for assisted living, there are plenty of additional options to cover these costs. Some additional ways to finance assisted living costs include:
- Veterans Benefits
- Life Insurance Policy
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Reverse Mortgage
For more information about different ways to finance assisted living, visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Free Assisted Living Resources in Two Harbors
Two Harbors and the surrounding area are home to numerous government agencies and non-profit organizations offering help for seniors searching for or currently residing in an assisted living community. These organizations can also provide assistance in a number of other eldercare services such as geriatric care management, elder law advice, estate planning, finding home care and health and wellness programs.
To see a list of free assisted living resources in Two Harbors, please visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page.
Assisted Living Laws and Regulations in Two Harbors
Two Harbors-area assisted living communities must adhere to the comprehensive set of state laws and regulations that all assisted living communities in Minnesota are required to follow. Visit our Assisted Living in Minnesota page for more information about these laws.
Recent Reviews of Assisted Living in Two Harbors
Review of Barross House
The very best of care that you could get. The food is great and lots of it. You are cared for personally and medicaly. You have anything you want. Read more